3.5mm jack to display video?

Zamboniguy420

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use the 3.5mm headphone jack to display video if you have the correct cable?

I know we have the HDMI out but my car only has component rca jacks.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my DroidX using DroidForums

OP
Z

Zamboniguy420

Reaction score
I know it works with a bunch of other phones but haven't seen anything about it working with the razr. Anyone?

Sent from my XT910 using DroidForums

OP
Z

Zamboniguy420

Reaction score
You know this because you tried it out? Or you are assuming?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am assuming because I have never seen any phone that would do this and Motorola would have touted that feature. Only thing I have seen that has the capability has been older digital cameras and even those aren't 3.5 mm, they are smaller.

Either get a digital to analog box or change head units.

X

Ssilk

Reaction score
I have seen 3.5 to rca cords for sale that say they work with cell phones right on the package...not sure what phones are capable though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There ARE 3.5mm to RCA cable adapters, but they will ONLY provide AUDIO Left and Right channels out on the RAZR. There would be no reason to give the audio port video capabilities as well, since there is an on-board HDMI cable connection (which by the way, also provides AUDIO), and it's simple to convert HDMI to Component as NoBloatware correctly commented on and provided links.

One thing I DID discover though (slightly off-topic) which might be helpful information for some is that the USB on these phones ALSO provides AUDIO, and with the Navigation Dock, there's a cable provided that performs double-duty. One end has the MicroUSB for the back of the Dock, the other end terminates into a USB-A connection (the standard USB plug), which plugs into a dual-port car adapter, but it also has a pigtail that provides a 3.5mm Stereo Audio out, so you can bypass the headphone jack on the phone and make both power and audio connections by simply putting the phone in the Dock and pressing down the USB connector. :icon_ lala:

I have it and it works like a charm! Also, since I don't have to plug in a headphone cable anymore, I only have ONE cable running up to the Dock, and there will also be less wear and tear on the rather delicate headphone jack. Way to go Moto!

OP
Z

Zamboniguy420

Reaction score
So once again, have you tried it out or so you assuming it doesn't work with the razr?

When you need a power converter and 2 other parts, I don't called that a simple hookup. As mentioned above about the HDMI out.

Thanks for info on the audio issue, good to know.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So once again, have you tried it out or so you assuming it doesn't work with the razr?

When you need a power converter and 2 other parts, I don't called that a simple hookup. As mentioned above about the HDMI out.

Thanks for info on the audio issue, good to know.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I had tried it. No, I haven't but I am 100% sure it doesn't work. Not that this is 100% confirmation, but the Motorola website (The New DROID RAZR - Android Smartphone - Ultra-Thin - KEVLAR Strong - SPECS - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA) shows the specs, and for the 3.5mm jack, it says "Headset jack". One would assume that if it had Video out, it would be touted there. It clearly indicates HDMI under another section (see below).

HEADSET JACK
3.5 mm

CONNECTOR TYPE
Micro USB, HDMI® Micro
Furthermore, outputting Video through the audio jack would require at least one connection inside the jack to lose its other functionality. Since the jack has only 4 conductors, Tip, Ring1, Ring2 & Sleeve, and since the Sleeve is the Ground, the tip is Left, and Ring1 is Right, the Ring2 is reserved for the Microphone input off of a wired headset. To give Video out, it would have to give up one of the two audio channels or the Microphone input. If other devices do this then perhaps they don't need the Microphone input.

Ssilk

Reaction score
Hmmm...i wonder if that is possible with my x2. Cheaper than micro hdmi I don't have an hd set.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
One thing I DID discover though (slightly off-topic) which might be helpful information for some is that the USB on these phones ALSO provides AUDIO, and with the Navigation Dock, there's a cable provided that performs double-duty. One end has the MicroUSB for the back of the Dock, the other end terminates into a USB-A connection (the standard USB plug), which plugs into a dual-port car adapter, but it also has a pigtail that provides a 3.5mm Stereo Audio out, so you can bypass the headphone jack on the phone and make both power and audio connections by simply putting the phone in the Dock and pressing down the USB connector. :icon_ lala:

I have it and it works like a charm! Also, since I don't have to plug in a headphone cable anymore, I only have ONE cable running up to the Dock, and there will also be less wear and tear on the rather delicate headphone jack. Way to go Moto!

FoxKat, you have me wondering if you know if it's possible to use this feature to solve a problem of mine.

My car has been wired so that I throw a switch and plug a iDevice cable (which they ran from somewhere behind my dash) in my iDevice and I can play through my sound system as well as charge my iDevice.

When I got my Razr I got the CableJive dockBoss adapter which translates the audio signal from a 1/8" audio plug to a iDevice docking system. This enables me to plug into my phone's headphone jack and hear it through my speakers. But there's no charging. Using a cigarette lighter charger while playing music often results in "dirty signal"noise.
Do you think if I could find an iDevice to microUSB adapter it would allow me to both listen to and charge through the same dash cable again?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just keep thinking it should be possible without rewiring the car.

EDIT: I found this version of a CableJive dock that seems to say it will do what I'm wondering about. If I'm understanding it correctly, this would enable anyone with an iDevice docking station to play and charge their phone though it.

Last edited: