3.5mm Headphone Jack -- Crackling on High

jsg7377

Reaction score
I am on my second Droid now (first one would just auto restart every couple minutes for some reason), but I have noticed that on both units that the 3.5mm audio will crackle on the right channel (if at max/near max volume on the device).

I just turn the device volume down to half and turn up the volume on the speakers -- It is not a real big issue but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same problem.

To replicate problem:

It does not seem to do it with headphones. I only notice it on amplified speakers (stereo, car, etc)

I used Pandora (on High quality) and standard MP3s played through the default media player.

8thSamurai

Reaction score
noticed this too

Doesn't happen with headphones or when playing through the phones speaker. Only heard it when I used it in my vehicle with 3.5mm cable. Thought it was the car speakers at first but didn't happen with cds or ipod. Changed the cable and still happened. Anyone have any ideas on this? Was wanting to let go of my ipod and just use the phone but the noise is very distracting.

MOTODROID JON

Reaction score
it happens on mine too... plus i don't think you get the volume you get out of an iPod which is annoying.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
Well I guess it is not just me. Perhaps we should report this as an error.

I wonder if it is hardware or software. Has Motorola acknowledged anything? I may give them a ring.

The only work around I have found was to lower the "Media Volume" to around 80%, but it just doesn't sound as rich.

Does anybody have any ideas?

jasondcannon

Reaction score
I have the same issue... I'm hoping it's not a hardware design problem, but I don't see how it could be fixed in software... Unless they lock the max volume to 75%... But that's not really a fix, but a workaround.

tktouch12

Reaction score
great, i was going to sell my ipod touch when i get this phone, apparently i cant now :mad:

PetrolHead

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. It happens on bass hits or the like...so my guess is that on max volume, it's clipping. In that case, turning it down helps. Turning the volume down doesn't effect sound quality at all. Leave it at 75% and just turn the car speakers up. Problem solved.

MInkyboi

Reaction score
Sorry up bump and old bump but i didnt want to create an entirely new one.
Does anyone here still have this problem after the update? I havent used it as a music player in awhile until right now. I think the update fixed it since I do not hear any popping on max volume anymore

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
crackling at the highest volume is a problem for all, if not many of the Droids have the problem. I know my Droid crackles at the highest volume, but at second highest volume setting I don't have that problem. Having devices on the highest volume i learned is not good for the device anyway, could blow the speaker on the phone. So i just leave it at second to highest volume and then turn up my steareo more.

iDroided

Reaction score
Mine does it only when volume is at 100%, which isn't especially good for your ears in headphones anyway. On home audio or car receivers, turn it down a bit and hike it up on the receiver or head unit itself. No issue.

Should it do it? Probably not, but hardly something that makes it impossible to hear music just fine.

tktouch12

Reaction score
So could this phone still replace my itouch? I hope so, I do listen to heavy bass music in my car stereo though

MInkyboi

Reaction score
hmm so when i was driving in my car earlier today with the droid as a music player through AUX there was a noise/buzz in the background. then i unplugged my power cable that was charging my phone at the same time and the noise stopped.

so maybe the droid cant be charging while using the headphone jack...