3.5mm Headphone Jack -- Crackling on High

iDroided

Reaction score
So could this phone still replace my itouch? I hope so, I do listen to heavy bass music in my car stereo though

When you get a call, text, or e-mail, the music pauses for a second. When this issue is taken care of there wouldn't be a need for the Touch. At least not to me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since updating to 2.0.1 the 'crackling' issue on full volume has disappeared.

iDroided

Reaction score

You know what, you're right. I must have not kicked up the volume since the upgrade but it doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment.

In that case, it's just the brief pause during notifications they need to work on.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You know what, you're right. I must have not kicked up the volume since the upgrade but it doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment.

In that case, it's just the brief pause during notifications they need to work on.

Agreed! The external speaker can play 2 sounds at once, so there's no pause with notifications when playing music but if you plug in a headset you get the 'pause'. Reminds me of my BB... which is not good :(

I'd like to see a fix to get both sounds to play thru the audio out just as it does with the external speaker.

Game4set

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread guys but apparently I had this problem and I thought that I blew my car's speakers. After intensive testing and taking the car to the dealer, etc. I found out that the problem was with the phone itself. Basically instead of having the volume of the music @ 100%, I just bring it down one level and the problem is solved. But I still think that this is a serious problem that could potentially damage people's speakers.

Game4set

Reaction score
Ok guys so I did some research (again) and it appears that the noise appears when " the Droid is plugged into the car charger and that is due to electrical interference." Not sure how that can be permanently fixed though besides putting the music's volume down a bit.

pyro6128

Reaction score
i was getting this today on my train ride to work. Kept hearing a crackling in the left side. I thought my headphones were messed up. I hope this gets fixed somehow. I don't remember having this problem before, I wonder if installing bb 7.5 might have had something to do with it.

Game4set

Reaction score
Yeah the sound comes from the left speaker (It came from both my front left and back left speakers in the car) and have sholes.

MInkyboi

Reaction score
its funny i havent had this problem at all UNLESS i have it charging at the same time while playing music.

Funky145

Reaction score
I've found that an audible hum is introduced when using the charger and the headphone jack. This is probably the result of a ground loop between the power source for the charger and the radio.

I've also heard intermittent crackling when the volume is set to maximum.

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
I've found that an audible hum is introduced when using the charger and the headphone jack. This is probably the result of a ground loop between the power source for the charger and the radio.

I've also heard intermittent crackling when the volume is set to maximum.

Yah it is a ground loop... Just be lucky it is only static interference...
To help fix this they sell ground loop isolaters & audio filters that plug inline with your headphones or FM transmitter or audio input jacks for your car...

Be careful though, it is possible for ground loops to damage either the phone, system it is plugged into, or both in any way...

It broke my DUAL X-GPS300 for my ipod touch to where it melted appart in my hand and that hurt... Luckly it was under warranty and the company forgot to tell me that was an issue and my ipod is still fine...lol :p

EDIT:
The crackling when the phone is by itself in the headphones or the internal speaker is because the speakers in either of them are not cut out for that, it will/is damaging to the speakers...
It can also, even after shorting out the speaker(s), short out the internal amplifier that runs the speakers/headphones... then cause other things to break... it can happen, idk if it will to that extent though...
Besides, the speakers really don't have to be that loud...lol :p