2.3.340 OTA Auto-DeoDexer!

ArmyDude

Reaction score
2.3.340 Auto DeOdexer!

The title should explain what this is.

What's in the file? I used xUltimate's program to DeOdex the OTA updated phone. Took the deodexed files and created the proper script (Thanks 928Droid for the inspiration!) to install the files and get rid of the Odex files.

I took a test Droid X.... updated to 2.3.340... rooted... bootstrapped.... and installed the above linked file that I created.

Starting from a clean 2.3.340 SBF... factory reseted phone... worked beautifully. Installed my theme... and done!

Step by Step:

As long as your phone has a clean system with 2.3.340 on it, this should work fine. Doing a data wipe may not be necessary, but if you are having issues, attempt to do that as well.

1. AS ALWAYS! Perform a backup before DeOdexing your phone!
2. Root your phone with Z4Root. I've used 1.3.0 several times on a fresh 2.3.340 install without ever having a problem.
3. Install Droid X Bootstrapper by ClockworkMod found in the Market. Once installed, Bootstrap Recovery... then Reboot Recovery.
4. Once in recovery, go to install from zip, find this zip on your sdcard, and install.
5. Reboot and Enjoy!

I put a script at the beginning of this to check build.prop for 2.3.340. If you have a modified build.prop or are not on 2.3.340... it should fail. I haven't been daring enough to install another build and attempt using this, so if you are that daring... feel free to do so. On 2.3.340... it gets past this without issue.

I take no responsibility for what you do to your phone. This update works on rooted phones only. Currently I've only tested with Droid X Bootstrapper Recovery.

And yes... I'm Nitro66215 on xda... so that is the name used for 4shared. :)

Last edited:
OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be usefull to the new Droid X users. Thank 928Droid for his script. I used his deodexer script to create mine.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea 928's great, miss him much.

I hated switching to the Darkslide, been running 928 from day one. But it was time for a change, at least for now.

Your a champ for doing this though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Ok, call me kooky..but what exactly does Deodexing the phone do...is this what I need to do if I want to run 928Droid`s BlackGlass Theme?

I have been here awhile and have read a ton, but sometimes I miss important things along the way...and this is one of them.

So, can some one just give me the Dummies Guide as to why I would want/need to do this...thanks in advance!

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Some themers provide themes that work with Odexed files. Most themes, however, are DeOdexed. So to answer the question... yes... you have to DeOdex in order to install most themes. The themer should specify whether his theme is for DeOdexed phones or Odexed phones.

scarmack

Reaction score
if i were to install this. should i sbf it back to stock .340. im running a custom rom right now, gummy2.0, which is for the .340, but i didnt know if i should run this over top of that or if this is something that should be done at the very begining. any input?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
if i were to install this. should i sbf it back to stock .340. im running a custom rom right now, gummy2.0, which is for the .340, but i didnt know if i should run this over top of that or if this is something that should be done at the very begining. any input?

Hey man...I think it is for someone not running a ROM that wants a Theme on their phone and would need it deodexed. I could be wrong, but thats what I believe it to be:)

Does Gummy not deodex for you? Cause if I'm not mistaken your run all kind of themes on yours;)

sephtin

Reaction score

Hey man...I think it is for someone not running a ROM that wants a Theme on their phone and would need it deodexed. I could be wrong, but thats what I believe it to be:)

Does Gummy not deodex for you? Cause if I'm not mistaken your run all kind of themes on yours;)

^^^^ correct.
I don't know of a ROM for the DroidX that isn't already deodexed.

Deodexing modifies the .apk's in /system/app, and /system/framework to deodex.
ROM's COMPLETELY REPLACE the entire /system dir...

mpdx13

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question, but my head is going to explode from reading 15 different threads on this stuff.

After I apply this deodex is the an odex file to get back to stock odex, like 928droid used to have?

sephtin

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question, but my head is going to explode from reading 15 different threads on this stuff.

After I apply this deodex is the an odex file to get back to stock odex, like 928droid used to have?

Easiest way to get back to default, is pretty much always just to .sbf.
(search for more info.. lots of threads about it on the boards...)

An .sbf will reset your system/baseband/kernel/bootloader... just clear data/cache, and you're COMPLETELY back to an out of the box phone (except you keep the data on your SDCard).

mpdx13

Reaction score
OK so there is no way to get back the odex without wiping it back to stock?

I am new to this, but I do also miss 928droid. I was able to get back to odex for the .340 update without wiping and going to stock.

Last edited: