How to block the 2.3.340 OTA update?

pego99

Reaction score
I decided not to take the OTA update, I didn't take the update because I just got the phone how I like it and I didn't know if my ROM would work well with it, I downloaded z4root.1.3.0.apk just in case, but I think I'll wait to hear if it works with my ROM or if another ROM will be released with that build.

Here's what I did in the meantime: I renamed /system/app/upgrader.apk to .bak to stop OTA updates in the future, I then changed /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak, also located in /etc/security. I have at least stopped the nagging about installing the update that got downloaded for now.

I'd still like to find where it downloads to and delete it, does anyone know where the downloads live?? Thanks.

Thanks for this I hope it works. Thanks.

dgerej

Reaction score
I refuse to update. Does anyone know how to stop update prompts until I finally root. I plan on rooting with the version my phone came with (2.3.151.).

pego99

Reaction score
I decided not to take the OTA update, I didn't take the update because I just got the phone how I like it and I didn't know if my ROM would work well with it, I downloaded z4root.1.3.0.apk just in case, but I think I'll wait to hear if it works with my ROM or if another ROM will be released with that build.

Here's what I did in the meantime: I renamed /system/app/upgrader.apk to .bak to stop OTA updates in the future, I then changed /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak, also located in /etc/security. I have at least stopped the nagging about installing the update that got downloaded for now.

I'd still like to find where it downloads to and delete it, does anyone know where the downloads live?? Thanks.

It didn't work I did the above yesterday and today I got a update nag. :-(

GatorBait1996

Reaction score

It didn't work I did the above yesterday and today I got a update nag. :-(
Did you already download the update? If so, this will not prevent the nagging, it will prevent you from getting OTA requests in the future once you move forward with a .340 version ROM. You can still get root with the latest .340 build using the z4root method, I just don't know what's out there for ROM's yet. I personally have chvyno1's ROM and love it, I'm waiting for an update. You need to find out where the update got downloaded to and probably rename it so it won't nag, don't ask me where it lives, I've been asking that myself and have had no luck.