2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm not rooted and at this point I'd like to get some of the basics of the phone back working consistently before I even attempt to root but I'd like to do so on this phone one day. After all, wireless tether would be sweet without having to fork over money to Verizon despite already having an unlimited data plan.

Downloading right now...wish me luck!

If you're having problems with your phone, and I assume you are because you said you'd like to get some of the basics back working consistently, simply installing the Gingerbread update may not fix those problems. It updates the system as you currently have it, so some of those problems may very well carry over. Flashing the SBF is what should solve any of the problems you aren't able to address directly. But I suppose you might as well try installing Gingerbread first to see if anything does happen to get fixed. If not, there's always the SBF.

hal83

Reaction score
EDIT

nevermind everybody! gingerbread's up and running and i love it. beautifully smooth now.

the problem was that i needed to install the latest phone updates, and before i had to do that i actually had to activate the phone. when i followed the listed steps it took a few minutes but then worked seamlessly.

i might have a go at rooting it now, it might be worth it for the battery.

Last edited:

Skyrocketing

Reaction score
After hours of uninstalling, installing, rebooting, SBFing, updating, etc, I finally got to install GB but came to a new problem. When I boot, my phones get the red Moto logo (which is good I guess) but after that it goes away and nothing happens.I feel like its working somehow because there is screen and touch buttons backlight, and when I press the power button they go off. I've tried rebooting and pulling the battery but nothing works. I can't get into Recovery either.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
After hours of uninstalling, installing, rebooting, SBFing, updating, etc, I finally got to install GB but came to a new problem. When I boot, my phones get the red Moto logo (which is good I guess) but after that it goes away and nothing happens.I feel like its working somehow because there is screen and touch buttons backlight, and when I press the power button they go off. I've tried rebooting and pulling the battery but nothing works. I can't get into Recovery either.

Thats probably because youve somehow lost the boot animation. Happened to me once.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using DroidForums

Skyrocketing

Reaction score

Thats probably because youve somehow lost the boot animation. Happened to me once.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using DroidForums

I actually heard the "DROID" so something must be up. I SBF'd and now my phone is being extremely slow and is hardly working. oh boy

EDIT: re-SBF'd and GB now working. Thanks a bunch to random posts in this thread for help :)

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
why won't verizon officially release the damn update? it's so frustrating

rocket_girl

Reaction score
OK, likely a dumb question here. My phone unmounts the SD card when I plug into computer via USB cable. How do I change this - so I can access SD card via computer? Would like to apply unrooted Gingerbread, but can't get the file to my SD card until I can access SD card while plugged in to computer. Help?

rocket_girl

Reaction score
...continued... quite possibly I should not attempt the Gingerbread update if I have a question as basic as the one I just posted :):icon_eek:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK, likely a dumb question here. My phone unmounts the SD card when I plug into computer via USB cable. How do I change this - so I can access SD card via computer? Would like to apply unrooted Gingerbread, but can't get the file to my SD card until I can access SD card while plugged in to computer. Help?
After you have your Pro connected to your computer via USB, open your notification bar, touch USB Connection and select Mass Storage. I'd also download and install the latest Motorola USB drivers first, if you haven't already done that.

rocket_girl

Reaction score
It WORKED!

After you have your Pro connected to your computer via USB, open your notification bar, touch USB Connection and select Mass Storage. I'd also download and install the latest Motorola USB drivers first, if you haven't already done that.

So, the drive was there all along, in a folder called 'Blackberry" - a relic from my prior device. Applied update, worked flawlessly. Look forward to discovering what Gingerbread can do! Better transitions and faster everything so far. Like the blue status bar. Agree w/ other posters about the menus...prefer black w/ white font to newer white w/ black, but the darn thing already *runs* better, so I will take that trade-off.

LarryV

Reaction score
Reporting Success

Hi All,

Just wanted to report that I was able to update to the Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) update using the steps outlined in this thread.

I did seem to receive a couple of errors similar to these:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/caller

But the process seemed to complete normally.

I agree with other posters that I prefer the black background with white text over the newer dark text on light background. If anyone can recommend a way to change this back - that would be welcome.

So far everything and all my apps seem to be working well. I notice slight improvement in responsiveness.

My phone is not rooted by the way.

Battery performance over Froyo (Android 2.2) is not clear yet, I purchased the extended battery and have gotten into the habit of charging all the time so I have not been able to gauge battery performance yet.

The only side effect is that the backlight on my keyboard was not initially working. After searching around a bit I saw someone suggest to turn off the automatic brightness in Settings->Display. This seems to have solved the issue and the keyboard backlight is working again. Even when i turned auto brightness back on, it seems to be working normally - so maybe it was a settings stuck in the wrong state...

Overall, this went pretty smoothly and I am impressed that all my settings and even my Folders, animated background and Launcher Pro add-ons continued to work normally as they did before.

Can someone shed some light on how this update came to be and any theories on why Verizon has not pushed it out over the air?

thanks all for the step by step instructions.

-Larry

Last edited:

tennvol

Reaction score
Im happy your backlight is working. I updated to GB and it broke my backlight, then sbf'd back to 2.26 and did a clean upgrade to GB, no joy.

So im back to Froyo right now, with a working backlight

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can someone shed some light on how this update came to be and any theories on why Verizon has not pushed it out over the air?

thanks all for the step by step instructions.

-Larry
There were two ways to get to Gingerbread for the Pro, both made available very close together. The update to Gingerbread you installed was provided by a user you received the OTA update from Verizon. He "captured" the downloaded OTA update.zip file before executing it on his phone. He then posted that captured update.zip to this forum. The second method to get to Gingerbread was provided by Team BlackHat (TBH). The difference between the two is that TBH's "version" is a rooted version and requires the purchase (very minimal) of their software and a different installation process all together. As for why Verizon hasn't continued to push the OTA update to Gingerbread out to all users...no one really knows the answer to the question for sure. It is true that for a short period (about a week) some Pro users were getting notification from Verizon that an OTA was available for them to download. The Verizon OTA has been stopped for what ever reason.

Last edited:

asdfghjkl_em

Reaction score
just updated to gingerbread and honestly, it was the easiest thing ever. not too sure about all the blue, I preferred the black and white much better...

so far so good. :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

jerryrp

Reaction score
If I apply this update will I still get the next OTA update?

Thanks