2.2 Froyo Issues and Questions? Come in Here.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know that a number of posters have noted applications running when they should not. I've noticed the same thing, sometimes they are applications that I have not used like Skype and every time I use the FM Radio or the Music Player they continue to run even after I have stopped using it. It is not clear to me what the right way to close these applications is. It does not seem to matter if I use the back arrow or the home touch pads, the programs do not full shut down. I can close them by going to the 'running applications' in the 'applications' section of the settings. This is quite a cumbersome way to do this. Am I missing something or is this a flaw in the operating system? It seems to me that running apps contribute to batter drain.

Thanks for any advice.

Found this on Droid Forums as an argument against using task killers. But it has a clear little description of android:

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

Orange14

Reaction score
I know that a number of posters have noted applications running when they should not. I've noticed the same thing, sometimes they are applications that I have not used like Skype and every time I use the FM Radio or the Music Player they continue to run even after I have stopped using it. It is not clear to me what the right way to close these applications is. It does not seem to matter if I use the back arrow or the home touch pads, the programs do not full shut down. I can close them by going to the 'running applications' in the 'applications' section of the settings. This is quite a cumbersome way to do this. Am I missing something or is this a flaw in the operating system? It seems to me that running apps contribute to batter drain.

Thanks for any advice.

Found this on Droid Forums as an argument against using task killers. But it has a clear little description of android:

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.
I've seen that but all I know is that when I manually close the apps when they are not needed the battery life is extended. Something is wrong with 2.2 as a lot of us have seen battery life decrease by at least 1/2 without doing putting heavy use on the phone. I've done a little programming in my distant past and it is difficult for me to believe that an active app does not consume resources but if Google says it doesn't it must be true.:)

windstrings

Reaction score
things continue to run so they can be accessed again quickly.. once Android sees your not going to use it, it will close it.

xmBill

Reaction score
Battery life seems better in Froyo

I see a lot of people commenting on poor battery life since Froyo, but I am seeing better battery life since getting the update. I did read a very in-depth article about NOT using a task-killer app and since I have updated, I have not installed a task killer as I had when I was running 2.1 Eclaire. And since I use location based apps and GPS apps etc. a lot, I leave my GPS turned on as it only uses the battery when it is momentarily on to get the location. Of course using Navigation it will deplete a battery pretty quickly but once you exit the app, then it does not us the GPS although it is still on in the settings. I also leave my WiFi on since it only uses it when it is connected to a WiFi signal. Some have said that the way it keeps searching for a signal will drain the battery, but I don't see that in my use since Froyo 2.2.
I can't say without a lot of testing (that I really don't feel like doing) that my battery life has increased with the update or the way I am using WiFi and GPS, or the lack of using a task killer, but my battery life has increased.

Now since I am NOT using a task killer, does anyone know of a good way to switch between running apps? I used to hit the HOME key and it would show apps currently running and allow you to switch to them, but now all I get is the most recent used apps so I really miss being able to switch running apps. Any ideas would be appreciated.

alwerner

Reaction score
I found that with the 2.2 update I get better battery life and better stability with my Droid (original). A couple of things I did notice:

• I have gone 400 hours without a reboot/reset.
  • I uninstalled ATK and switched back to the built in tools. The built in OS tools appear to shutdown some applications better then ATK.
  • The first few days/week the battery was a little shorter but I also notice I was getting a lot of application updates (probably because of the 2.2 update).
  • Display/light sensor appears better with 2.2. My display is no longer the largest consumer of battery.
  • If I find my Droid being a big "laggy", I look at the running applications and usually can find that it's attributed to an application that I thought was shutdown but didn't.
I believe a lot of our problems tie back to bugs and/or sloppy application development.

kmo

Reaction score
No change for me in battery life with froyo, same as before update.

nixin

Reaction score
I just replaced the LCD screen (cracked the old one) in my Incredible and every thing works but the screen is black. Any answers?

windstrings

Reaction score
I just replaced the LCD screen (cracked the old one) in my Incredible and every thing works but the screen is black. Any answers?

Can you explain?
How do you know everything works if the screen is black?

You mean when the phone is turned off its black or when you turn the screen off?... so is mine... I don't follow... sorry.

nixin

Reaction score
The phone is ON, I can unlock the screen, The buttons vibrate and I can hear sound when I turn the phone on. There is no picture on the screen its black.

windstrings

Reaction score
The phone is ON, I can unlock the screen, The buttons vibrate and I can hear sound when I turn the phone on. There is no picture on the screen its black.

you said "just replaced the LCD screen"...
Does that mean you did the work or did they do it and you just got it in the mail?

Its obviously not installed right.

Did you try the usual..... turn off the phone, pull the battery reboot.. or even do a factory reset?....if you just got the phone back, I imagine they already erased everything anyway.

nixin

Reaction score
Checked the connections a third time and now it works! Thanks.

gjp

Reaction score
Upgrade to Andriod 2.2 - Market App download & Google Talk authentication issues

Upgrade to Andriod 2.2 - Market App download & Google Talk authentication issues

I recently got a Droid Incredible and and the first this I did was upgraded to Andiod 2.2 via OTA update. I tried to connect to my Google Account but would was getting a 'sever connectivity issue' 'data provisioning issue'. After some time I was able to connect my Google account on the phone(using Wifi). But when using the Market App I would get 'download failure' errors. Also the Google Talk app would get authentication errors.

Somethings I have tried to fix this:
- I tried a data wipe in recovery. This did not help.

- I rooted, S-OFF, and downgraded to Andriod 2.1.
By doing this was able to get everything working with no problems.

- I then upgraded to 2.2 via manual OTA update (via SD Card). I then got a Market App is not installed error. I found a fix for this from Android Market app disappeared on Samsung Galaxy S 2.2 update - Android Market Help (essentially locating the Vending.apk and manually pushing it for install) , the Market App would show as a downloaded app but this fix worked, but it only worked temporarily for me. After a few reboots of the phone the Market App would disappear again.

So I am now back to square 1 with Google Talk authentication problems, erratic Google account authentication/connectivity, and consistent Andriod Market download errors.

Any resolutions/solutions to these issues?

thanks

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm still getting incredibly angry with the lag on my phone since Froyo. It's not that huge a lag but it's very noticeable, especially compared to how it used to be. I used to never have any lag, even on the internet.

Now, I have lag scrolling on the internet, lag typing, and SO MUCH lag scrolling through my homescreens. I have cleared my cache, I have done a factory date wipe, and have reset/battery pulled my phone. I shut my phone off daily.

Any advice?