Status
Not open for further replies.

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
i'm not so sure that means it's coming in a couple of days, it will be open source in a few days. After that it may be coming to android phones. I wouldnt expect it for a little while yet. we will get it, but not sure when.

Echo3

Reaction score
i'm not so sure that means it's coming in a couple of days, it will be open source in a few days. After that it may be coming to android phones. I wouldnt expect it for a little while yet. we will get it, but not sure when.

That's my thought too. Sounds like they are releasing it as open source in a few days and then the developers will take advantage of that. Doesn't mean we'll get the update soon. So however long it takes Motorola to optimize it for the DROID and then for VZW to release 2.1 for our units is their call to release it.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
So can we really count this topic legit?
A lot of talk going around on Ustream can't really tell if its actually coming or just becoming open source.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's my thought too. Sounds like they are releasing it as open source in a few days and then the developers will take advantage of that. Doesn't mean we'll get the update soon. So however long it takes Motorola to optimize it for the DROID and then for VZW to release 2.1 for our units is their call to release it.

My thoughts exactly, at least there is "more" of a chance that we will get 2.1 now.

OP
sc4fpse

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Wow, what a let down. I thought either this was going to be a thread with a link to verify we were getting 2.1 in the next couple of days. Either that or it was another "A Verizon rep told me" thread. It didn't turn out to be either. I don't even get the pleasure of flaming the OP.:closed_2:

Geez, what crawled up your 3.5mm jack?

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Yea we might not get it in a couple days but the open source is coming and then its just a matter of time between VZ and Moto to get it right and push.

Was there ever a 2.0.1 we gonna go to open source annoucement? Or did VZ/Moto just say oh yea 2.0.1 here

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
From the live feed, it looks like Moto's rep is shying away from future OS updates (aside from 2.1):

[MOTO]: We have the intention to upgrade every device to the best version of the software that that hardware can run. Android 2.1 has very 3D-intensive software, not every device can run that. To the extent that it can, we will support it. All the APIs are kept consistent so all Android Market apps will work. Being 100% backward compatible stifles and slows development.

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
yah the bottom line is WE WILL BE GETTTING IT, but there is no date on when that will be. Who knows though Jan 22 might still be valid.

brochaos

Reaction score
eh, if the dream/g1 is supposedly gonna get the 2.1 update, i don't see what the issue is. i'm sure the cliq can handle it.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
yah the bottom line is WE WILL BE GETTTING IT, but there is no date on when that will be. Who knows though Jan 22 might still be valid.
Aw well I was hoping for an early release, but the way your putting it makes it still seem like Jan 22nd is valid as you have said before. Oh well I'll still hope for an early release.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Cliq will get 2.1 but with modifications such as no animated wallpapers or no fancy 3d app drawer or something.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
eh, if the dream/g1 is supposedly gonna get the 2.1 update, i don't see what the issue is. i'm sure the cliq can handle it.
As the OS's evolve so will the devices.

They are merely saying that down the line as things (OS's) evolve the current crop of devices may or may not be able to run it. You don't have to worry though by that time you will own a new Android device (if you decide to stay with the platform).

Last edited:

justbob

Reaction score
Oh well I'll still hope for an early release.

That's doubtful. To me, "early release" would mean Jan 22. Otherwise I wouldn't expect to see it until Feb sometime. Proper QA takes time.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the OS's evolve so will the devices.

They are merely saying that down the line as things 9OS's) evolve the current crop of devices may or may not be able to run it. You don't have to worry though by that time you will own a new Android device (if you decide to stay with the platform).

pfft... 2010 will be the year of WM 6.5.1:icon_ devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.