16gb vs 32gb

lcarbrey

Reaction score
I've just had a most confusing discussion with the verizon sales rep. First he says the 16gb version has the sd slot, just no card and that's the only difference to the 32gb version. Then later he says well you can't expand the 16gb there's no slot. Can anyone confirm for me that the 16gb still has the micro sd slot? I can get a pretty good sd card for a lot less than the difference in price :)

bogginblazer

Reaction score
What are u talking about that made no sense. But i think what ur asking is can u put a 32 gb sd card in a 16 gb slot. The cards are all the same size 8 16 32 is just how much memory u get they will fit in ur phone if u have a sd card slot.

Hope that helps

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

LoPing

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about. I picked up the Razr 16gb yesterday which I was told just came out with the new price drop to $199.00. The phones DO come with micro sd card slots to expand your memory. I purchased the 16gb phone thinking I'd have close to that available internally. That is not the case. the phone comes out of the box with roughly 1/2 its internal 16gb's already reserved for the os, webtop, and other functions. You have just under 8 gigs to work with (Internally). The phone will accept up to a 32gb card. I'd assume the 32 internal for $250.00 will display some where around 24 gb available right out of the box. More concerning issues for me now are why my haptic feed back has stopped working, why my notification sound for emails and texts will not change even though I have them set up with two different notification sounds, and why I can connect to my router at home but not at work.

OP
L

lcarbrey

Reaction score
What I was talking about are the two verzions of razr phone that verizon is selling. I had asked the sales rep if the 16gb version of the phone had a micro sd slot that I could put in my own micro sd card. First he said yes, then he said no....

What are u talking about that made no sense. But i think what ur asking is can u put a 32 gb sd card in a 16 gb slot. The cards are all the same size 8 16 32 is just how much memory u get they will fit in ur phone if u have a sd card slot.

Hope that helps

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
There *IS* only one Razr.
The option is whether you have the 16GB micro-SD or not.
The best option is to NOT get the card when you buy and go spend $40 on a 32GB card.

There is only one Razr and with different colors and micro-SD options.
The Razr MAXX is a battery option.
The hardware is all the same.

OP
L

lcarbrey

Reaction score
Thanks so much, exactly why I was asking...

There *IS* only one Razr.
The option is whether you have the 16GB micro-SD or not.
The best option is to NOT get the card when you buy and go spend $40 on a 32GB card.

There is only one Razr and with different colors and micro-SD options.
The Razr MAXX is a battery option.
The hardware is all the same.

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Ok so how do u only have 8gb out of a 16 gb sd card i have 14 the rest of the sd is pics and apps

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok so how do u only have 8gb out of a 16 gb sd card i have 14 the rest of the sd is pics and apps

Man, I can see this is going to get even more interesting once the MAXX is released...

OK, so as Tech_Head said, there is only ONE RAZR. Originally it was sold only as a 32GB unit where it had 16GB of INTERNAL SD Card memory (non-removeable) with 8GB reserved and 8GB (minus a portion) available for user data, and a 16GB EXTERNAL SD Card (removeable MicroSD), with about 14.81GB+ available out of the box. You (bogginblazer) have the original RAZR and so you have BOTH the INTERNAL 16GB SD Card AND the EXTERNAL 16GB SD Card. In your own screen print, you'll see there's 2.8GB used of the 8GB SD Card, and THEN there's 5.88GB used of the 14.81GB External SD Card. If you use a file manager you can choose between both SD Cards which one you want to view files on, and you can choose which one to send files to.

But just to make things interesting (and to attract a greater marketshare) NOW there's TWO versions of the RAZR, but it's still the SAME PHONE. This is what lcarbrey was questioning. And as both LoPing and Tech_Head said, they BOTH (16GB & 32GB versions) come with SD Card SLOTS, but only ONE comes with the slot populated out of the box with a 16GB MicroSD card (the 32GB version).

GotnFX

Reaction score
Man, I can see this is going to get even more interesting once the MAXX is released...

OK, so as Tech_Head said, there is only ONE RAZR. Originally it was sold only as a 32GB unit where it had 16GB of INTERNAL SD Card memory (non-removeable) with 8GB reserved and 8GB (minus a portion) available for user data, and a 16GB EXTERNAL SD Card (removeable MicroSD), with about 14.81GB+ available out of the box. You (bogginblazer) have the original RAZR and so you have BOTH the INTERNAL 16GB SD Card AND the EXTERNAL 16GB SD Card. In your own screen print, you'll see there's 2.8GB used of the 8GB SD Card, and THEN there's 5.88GB used of the 14.81GB External SD Card. If you use a file manager you can choose between both SD Cards which one you want to view files on, and you can choose which one to send files to.

But just to make things interesting (and to attract a greater marketshare) NOW there's TWO versions of the RAZR, but it's still the SAME PHONE. This is what lcarbrey was questioning. And as both LoPing and Tech_Head said, they BOTH (16GB & 32GB versions) come with SD Card SLOTS, but only ONE comes with the slot populated out of the box with a 16GB MicroSD card (the 32GB version).

How do you access the SD micro slot?

I know the MAXX has a slot for the both the SIM and SD Card on the side of the phone. Does the Non-MAXX phone also have a slot?

donnie5336

Reaction score
Yes the original Razr has the sim card slot and the SD card slot. Just got mine Friday -32gb- and earlier posters are correct. There is 16gb internal memory and a 16gb SD card already installed in the slot. I wish i didn't have to pay the extra $50 just to get the 32gb version because I had a 16gb card in my OG droid that i just swapped over to this phone, so now i have 2 16gb sd cards. I only got the 32 because my other phone finally bit it Friday and I had to get a new one, local Verizon retailer was out of the 16gb model, so I had to eat the extra $50 for the 32gb. (they also didn't have the Maxx yet either, would have probably gotten that one instead, but oh well..)

mcsoul

Reaction score
A lot of the appeal of the RAZR for me was the thin and light weight form factor. The performance is a great surprise. I went with the 16gb version and I threw in a 32g card. At first the battery seemed to go to fast, but then I learned about smart actions and the phone is a champ even with the smaller battery.

shadylady88

Reaction score
Hi ya'll! I have two questions and since I'm new to this Android business...(I love my Macbook, but I prefer the Android phone!! The MAXX is the BOMB!!! So much better battery life!!!!!

Now...can someone give me "directions for dummys" on how to upgrade from the external 16gb card to a 32? There just isn't enough room if you want to have pics and music AND apps!! You can suggest what app I would need to best do this.

And...is there a photo app where you can "organize" your photos? I have screensavers, pics of my nephew all over the place and I would like to organize them into folders....If I want to see pics of my nephew, they're all in one place!

Thanks experts!!
dancingDroid.gif

Shadylady88

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Hi ya'll! I have two questions and since I'm new to this Android business...(I love my Macbook, but I prefer the Android phone!! The MAXX is the BOMB!!! So much better battery life!!!!!

Now...can someone give me "directions for dummys" on how to upgrade from the external 16gb card to a 32? There just isn't enough room if you want to have pics and music AND apps!! You can suggest what app I would need to best do this.

And...is there a photo app where you can "organize" your photos? I have screensavers, pics of my nephew all over the place and I would like to organize them into folders....If I want to see pics of my nephew, they're all in one place!

Thanks experts!!
dancingDroid.gif

Shadylady88

Well shady as for the upgrade to a 32 gigabyte sd card. Your sd card is external right next your sim card there is a little flap on the bottom left hand side of your phone. The white 1 is the sim card the black 1 is your sd card. You have to buy a 32 gigabyte sd card and install it. It just pops right in there about 50 bucks.

As for photo organization. All you have to do is plug your phone into your computer. Using the supply cable that came with your phone. It just goes in the usb port. From there your phone should upload on your computer you should see something pop up. If you're running an apple. It should pop up on your desktop as MOT F. I believe don't quote me on that though. But when you get it setup on your computer you can go into pictures and organize them to make folders.

I hope this helps any other questions just ask.

SallyC

Reaction score

Thanks experts!!
dancingDroid.gif

Shadylady88

bogginblazer answered your questions and there's only one thing I'd add. If you want to organize your photos into folders you create on your phone, QuickPic (which you can get by clicking on the link or going to the Market) will allow you to do that.

shadylady88

Reaction score
Switching to a 32gb SD Card for Motorola Maxx

Thanks!! What I mean to ask is...how do I get all the info off my 16gb card onto a new 32gb card? It won't slow down the speed of the phone, will it? I try to put everything that is allowed on the SD card!

THANKS ALL!!!
Shadylady88dancedroiddancedroid