160 char limit to VZW users

altjx

Reaction score
Did verizon remove this and finally allow it to happen? I'm using Pete's Bugless Beast V1.0 and I'm not sure if this is already integrated in the ROM, or came with 2.1 to auto split text without us noticing on this side...
I remember getting texts from a random VZW number saying texts longer than 160 will not be sent to customers outside of vzw.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the 160 character limit for texts was a function of the CDMA network....

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the 160 character limit for texts was a function of the CDMA network....

oh ok, so you're not able to send over 160 chars to anyone outside of VZW? I remember this happening before updating to 2.1 and this custom ROM, but I guess it still exists, just not in this ROM. thanks =)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I dont think so. I just went into the stock messaging program and it didnt have a character counter. I dont think that the limit has been removed, but it's possible the stock app now splits messages for you....

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I dont think so. I just went into the stock messaging program and it didnt have a character counter. I dont think that the limit has been removed, but it's possible the stock app now splits messages for you....

oh ok. it may just be the 2.1 update with it integrated in the messaging app itself.

Travis798

Reaction score
The stock app does have a character counter, or at least mine does. It doesn't show any counting until you get down to 10 characters left, and it will show 10/1, with the 10 going down with each character. If you keep going, the counter will say 145/2 and count down, so I'm assuming it lets you send 145 characters, not 160, and splits them up for you. I didn't count the characters in the first text though.

warning9

Reaction score
After so many messages long, it says that it is converting them into a MMS.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
The stock app does have a character counter, or at least mine does. It doesn't show any counting until you get down to 10 characters left, and it will show 10/1, with the 10 going down with each character. If you keep going, the counter will say 145/2 and count down, so I'm assuming it lets you send 145 characters, not 160, and splits them up for you. I didn't count the characters in the first text though.

oh ok, great. well, gladly that character counter stuff isnt an issue anymore. hated getting that random vzw message

area52

Reaction score

Ha I used to think that too based on several looong threads elsewhere, gotta tell those people just b/c a blackberry cant do it, doenst make it impossible.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ha I used to think that too based on several looong threads elsewhere, gotta tell those people just b/c a blackberry cant do it, doenst make it impossible.

Actually it is a function of the SMS protocol... It has nothing to do with the phone you're using. My last Blackberry would split up messages for me.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually it is a function of the SMS protocol... It has nothing to do with the phone you're using. My last Blackberry would split up messages for me.
Same here. I know BB bashing is popular around here but please keep the facts straight.

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
Its a network feature called enhanced text messaging. I don't think its unique to verizon either. I've had my droid since mid jan, and messaging has stayed the same for me. And blackberries are great... they're great phones to get you into the smartphone market until you find a droid! J/k lol