[MOD]*v2.0* Froyo Touchwiz MMS "Screen On" Notification/Convert MMS/Delivery Report

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
All credit goes to GizmoDroid over at XDA....

Orig link: [MOD]*v2.0* Froyo Touchwiz MMS "Screen On" Notification/Convert MMS/Delivery Report - xda-developers

icon2.gif
[MOD]*v2.0* Froyo Touchwiz MMS "Screen On" Notification/Convert MMS/Delivery Report

EDIT [3/3/11]:

This has been tested only on SuperClean 2.4-2.7. Please use caution, but feel free to try on other FROYO (only) Touchwiz ROM's (such as: EB01, Blackhole 4.x, etc).

How does this differ from stock?
  • Working SMS delivery reports (not available in EB16)
  • Option to receive delivery reports only for SMS or MMS or both (not available in EB01)
  • Option to turn the screen on when receiving an SMS/MMS (not available in EB01)
In addition to that, you can choose either the USCC behavior of converting SMS to MMS after 160 characters, or the VZW behavior of converting SMS to MMS after 960 characters, by choosing one of the following downloads:
[SIZE=+1]Samsung MMS Mod v2.0 - APK Version[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Convert SMS to MMS after 960 characters[/SIZE]
Mms.apk - Download @ MediaFire.com

[SIZE=+0]Convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters[/SIZE]

Installation: Since this is a system app, it cannot be installed using the Package Installer. Mms.apk must replace /system/app/Mms.apk. You can accomplish this many different ways. Two common methods are: 1) use ADB to push it ("adb push Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk"); or 2) copy Mms.apk to your SD card, then use a program like Root Explorer to move it to "/system/app/". If you experience any problems, clear dalvik cache and reboot.​
[SIZE=+1]Samsung MMS Mod v2.0 - CWM ZIP Version[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Convert SMS to MMS after 960 characters[/SIZE]
EB16_MMS_MOD_960_2.0_CWM.zip - Download @ MediaFire.com

[SIZE=+0]Convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters[/SIZE]
EB16_MMS_MOD_160_2.0_CWM.zip - Download @ MediaFire.com

Installation: Copy zip file to sdcard. Boot into CWM, and select "Install zip from sd card". Select the file, then confirm the flash. When finished, reboot.

*Note* This file has been verified to work in Red, Green, and Orange (newest ROM Manager) CWM recovery.
Please let me know if the added features are working/not working, or if I broke anything in the stock functionality. Also, just having another set of eyes to verify I posted the right links to the right versions always helps (this is why I hate multiple versions and why I'm working to make a unified one).

Things to come:
-This post reorganized and reconciled (tonight)
-User selectable SMS-to-MMS conversion point in Settings (pain in the butt, so probably not today)
-MMS read reports (maybe not supported by VZW? I never seem to get them back)

Info concerning original post [3/1/11]:

[SIZE=+0]Rambling Intro

The stock Samsung MMS/SMS app on EB16 has a new "feature" that I'm not really a fan of. I don't know if I would call this a true fix, because there are those who like this behavior. Starting with EB16, the stock MMS app will convert your SMS message to MMS if you exceed 160 characters. I don't know why the sudden change. Maybe it is an effort to stop all the fussing about split messages, or maybe it is because MMS is the way of the future and SMS is like those 3.5" floppy drives that just wouldn't die; I don't know.

[SIZE=+0]Rambling Lesson About MMS/SMS[/SIZE]
(placed at the bottom for the TL;DR kind of folks)

Basically, every phone/OS I've ever ran has the default SMS behavior of that if you sent a message longer than 160 characters then one of two things would happen:
  1. Not let you send an SMS longer than 160 characters (I'm staring at you, Blackberry)
  2. Automatically chop the message into 160 character SMS messages and send them separately
  3. The message would send as a (let's call it "multiple page") SMS where, depending on the receiver's carrier (or maybe even some phones), it would arrive on their phone as one big SMS, or it would automatically chop it into multiple 160 character SMS messages.
For my phones, the upper limit for #3 has always been 6 linked together SMS's before it wants you to convert to MMS.

Now, I consider #3 to be my most favorite option, ever since AT&T started accepting Verizon messages longer than 160 characters. That means that everyone I text regularly can get texts up to 960 characters in length (I think that's the upper limit, but I rarely break the 200 mark). This is also the way that it was handled in every fully functional stock MMS app I've used on Android, so I've grown quite attached.

I say all this because there seems to be a large amount of confusion about the way that long SMS's work. This is largely because it seems to depend on the carrier/phone/messaging app (of the sender and receiver). I'll even admit that I'm not sure everything I just posted is true 100% of the time. But it's true enough to show that there are a lot of factors going on for why someone might be getting split up text messages from you, or why you might be receiving split texts from someone else.

Q: Why do you hate MMS so much, GizmoDroid?
A: To put it simply, I hate the way most phones handle MMS's. If they are supposed to be an alternative means for sending text, don't make me hit "play" like it's going to be a movie. If it can support all kinds of cool goodies, give me a text editor with basic functions like colors/fonts/sizes/bold/etc.

Here is how most of my experiences with text-only MMS's have gone:
  1. "Why is there a slideshow playing?"
  2. "What happened to the text I was just reading?"
  3. "Oh look, I'm on slide #2. That's why."
"What's on slide #2?", you might ask me. Nothing. But my phone thought that it was more important than slide #1, right in the middle of me reading that really wordy message that you should have just called me about.

Why should I put someone else through that when I want to send a message that's 161 characters? Also, in my experience, most people expect a picture/video/sound attached when receiving an MMS, and get confused when there's only text.
[/SIZE]

This "fix" returns the converting point back to its previous value. After installing this, you will be able to type up to 960 characters in an SMS, just like before.

Note for SuperClean users
SuperClean v2.4 and earlier used the stock EB01 Mms.apk
SuperClean v2.5/v2.6 used the stock EB16 Mms.apk
SuperClean v2.7 used a modified EB01 Mms.apk

Since Adrynalyne prefers the convert SMS to MMS feature, he has modded it into his SuperClean v2.7 patch (which is totally fine, I just don't like it).

So if you apply this patch, you should know the following:
Pro - This EB16 Mms.apk contains a working "Screen on for notification alerts" option in the settings menu, that is broken on EB01.
Con -This EB16 Mms.apk does not have SMS delivery reports, only for MMS.
[SIZE=+1]EB16 SMS-to-MMS Fix v1.0 - APK version​

Installation: Since this is a system app, it cannot be installed using the Package Installer. Mms.apk must replace /system/app/Mms.apk. You can accomplish this many different ways. Two common methods are: 1) use ADB to push it ("adb push Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk"); or 2) copy Mms.apk to your SD card, then use a program like Root Explorer to move it to "/system/app/". If you experience any problems, clear dalvik cache and reboot.​
[SIZE=+1]EB16 SMS-to-MMS Fix v1.0 - ClockworkMod ZIP version[/SIZE]

EB16_MMS_SMS_Fix_CWM.zip - Download @ MediaFire.com

Installation: Copy zip file to sdcard. Boot into CWM, and select "Install zip from sd card". Select the file, then confirm the flash. When finished, reboot.

*Note* The file that was posted before would "pretend" that it was installed but it wasn't doing anything, in reality. This current file has been verified to actually work in Red, Green, and Orange (newest ROM Manager) CWM recovery.

[SIZE=+0]Technical Info[/SIZE]
(How I Made It)

With some of my mods, I try to make as few changes as possible to accomplish what I want to accomplish, that way no undesired side-effects sneak up. Well, this is an easy one. You actually don't need to decompile anything if you don't want. It's as simple as changing one character in one file with a hex editor.

Inside of /system/app/Mms.apk is a binary compiled XML, res\xml\mms_config.xml, that contains the setting. By changing value of smsToMmsTextThreshold from "2" to "7", we increase the number of characters before it will start converting the SMS to an MMS message from 161 characters, to 961 characters.
Code:
o.M.m.s.T.e.x.t.T.h.r.e.s.h.o.l.d.....7.....u.s.

Then, you can place this file back inside the zip, over top of the stock file. Optionally, you can then zipalign the apk, since the modification will break alignment.

If you use apktool or some other xml printer, you can change the value using a simple text editor: Code:
<int name="smsToMmsTextThreshold">7</int>
You will need to recompile after this. Don't forget to grab your signature folder out of your stock Mms.apk and put it in the new one.[/SIZE]