Keyboard shortcut to Send SMS/MMS messages in Text Messaging

nka

Reaction score
How To Replace Droid 3 Text Messaging App ("Coversations.apk") with the Stock ICS MMS

Update: Solution :biggrin:

How To Replace Droid 3 Text Messaging App ("Coversations.apk") with the AOSP MMS apk

Using Root Explorer

Instructions using Root Explorer…(You can use ADB too, but I prefer Root Explorer)
1. Download the attached file to your SD card (see bottom of post)
2. navigate to saved file locate Mms.apk.
4. Long press on Mms.apk and select “copy.”
5. Press “back” once and tap on /system/app/
6. Click the “Mount R/W” button up top. (It will switch to “Mount R/O”)
7. Long press on Mms.apk and rename to Mms.apk.bak for safe keeping.
8. Click the “Paste” button at the bottom.
9. Long press on your new Mms.apk and tap “Permissions”. Set as:
Owner: Check “Read and Write”
Group: Check “Read”
Others: Check “Read”
UNCHECK everything else.
Tap “OK”

Now to install so the settings stick upon reboot:
Delete the following:
/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex (If this file doesn't exist, skip this step)
and this folder:
/data/data/com.android.mms
Reboot

Now to disable the Motorola Text Messaging app to prevent conflicts:
1. Long press on Conversations.apk and rename it to Conversations.apk.bak

Clean up:
1. Click the “Mount R/O” button.
2. Reboot your phone and you are done. Enjoy the stock Android MMS app and regain the ability to send a message by hitting "enter" on the physical keyboard

OP:
In the stock android SMS app, you can just hit return to send a message. If you want the next line, you hit shift+enter to prevent sending a message prematurely. I cannot for the life of my figure out why Motorola has decided to deviate from this logic with their Text Messaging app, but it is so incredibly irritating!

Anyone have a keyboard shortcut for sending messages or know of a way to add a shortcut to the text messaging app? I know I can use a third party SMS app like Handcent or something, but I like the stock app.

Alternatively, if anyone has a working apk of the default Android text messaging app, from CyanogenMod or something, please let me know and I can switch them out.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
Well, you can press the right arrow key when you are done typing to highlight the "Send" control and then press the "OK" key.

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
I really would just prefer the stock Messaging app. Anyone have an APK that they can upload?

Done: check OP

Last edited: