1 Upset Customer (Verizon to Sprint questions, etc)

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I know that I am "grandfathered in" unlimited on my currently "unlimited" plan, but I am upset over it. I love my Thunderbolt and 4G coverage, but hate Verizon. I am considering the following:

Selling my Thunderbolt (+ Invisible Shield and Seidio Surface)
Switching to Sprint

Hopefully this phone will sell close to $300, then Sprint will give me $125 credit for switching.

However, I am rooted and running Das Bamf, so I would like to return the phone to stock if selling on Ebay. But I may sell it here.

I am considering either the Evo 4G, Evo 3D, or Nexus S.

I was hoping that perhaps I could "void" the contract due to them ridding their data, but I don't think I can.

I am asking you for comments and advice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt you will get out of the contract that easy since they grandfathered you in anyway. You'll have to pay the ETF...

Good luck, I have thought about doing the same thing.

sent from my ApeX

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I have a friend with the Evo 3D and while he loves the phone, Sprints 4G service is lacking so he really cannot enjoy it to it's full extent. 4G service is what kept me from switching to Sprint. Colleagues of mine have Sprint 4G phones but here at work, they cannot get 4G service while I on Verizon can't.

Just some food for thought.

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I doubt you will get out of the contract that easy since they grandfathered you in anyway. You'll have to pay the ETF...

Good luck, I have thought about doing the same thing.

sent from my ApeX

Exactly.
I guess I could justify the fee using the following :

1)Hopefully $300 to my Thunderbolt
2)$125 credit from Sprint
3)Sprint seems to be a bit cheaper per month

If I knew Sprint would treat me right (long term unlimited), then I would do this asap.

What is the best way to "stockify" my phone?
Where is the best place to sell it?

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I have a friend with the Evo 3D and while he loves the phone, Sprints 4G service is lacking so he really cannot enjoy it to it's full extent. 4G service is what kept me from switching to Sprint. Colleagues of mine have Sprint 4G phones but here at work, they cannot get 4G service while I on Verizon can't.

Just some food for thought.
Well TBH I am willing to sacrifice 4G, right now Sprint doesn't have 4G in my town but Verizon does.

VolDroid

Reaction score
So when Sprint goes to the Tiered plans where will you go then? If all the other carriers are doing it, then it is only a matter of time before they want more money also. Good luck though.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
The sale of phone + the credit should offset the cost of the ETF. There's probably plenty of folks who are willing (and probably desire) to purchase a rooted TB, as the rooting process seems to be a bit intimidating for some, so you should explore that possibility before trying to return it to stock.

The Evo 3D looks like a really awesome device.

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
So when Sprint goes to the Tiered plans where will you go then? If all the other carriers are doing it, then it is only a matter of time before they want more money also. Good luck though.
Well that is hard to say. It is not certain they will, but likely in the scheme of things. However I feel they would gain so many customers if they stay unlimited.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sprint has way better customer service and treats you right. Verizon on the otherhand tries to screw you every chance they get.

This is personal experience also, not just making this up

sent from my ApeX

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I know that I am "grandfathered in" unlimited on my currently "unlimited" plan, but I am upset over it. I love my Thunderbolt and 4G coverage, but hate Verizon. I am considering the following:

Selling my Thunderbolt (+ Invisible Shield and Seidio Surface)
Switching to Sprint

Hopefully this phone will sell close to $300, then Sprint will give me $125 credit for switching.

However, I am rooted and running Das Bamf, so I would like to return the phone to stock if selling on Ebay. But I may sell it here.

I am considering either the Evo 4G, Evo 3D, or Nexus S.

I was hoping that perhaps I could "void" the contract due to them ridding their data, but I don't think I can.

I am asking you for comments and advice.

There is no way you can void your contract. They did not breach because they are still giving you unlimited data (they they are probably going to start slowing down the speeds for people with unlimited that they suspect are tethering or downloading torrents).

johnd09

Reaction score
The problem with everyone going to Sprint is when their network gets bogged down by the excess load what do you think they are going to do? The same thing everybody else is doing limits.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

illmatic636

Reaction score
Like what was said before, an increase in fees that you do not agree upon is enough to get you out of the contract w/o the early termination. From how I see it, VZW is willing to let us grandfathered customers out, then get us back after we have remorse and now NO UNLIMITED DATA! If I bounce, It has to be for good. And I'll probably go with AtT or tMobile.

ckatie

Reaction score
I just did some more research i dont know the rules here about posting links so ill just tell you that droid life has an article about getting out of contract the title is
Ready To Exit Your Verizon Contract With No Termination Fee? Now May Be Your Chance

BUT then i saw this one titled:
Verizon Ups Regulatory Charge $0.03, Will Pay Difference for Life of Contract Instead of Waiving ETF"

my guess is if you call them and throw a big stink about the .03 cent making it possible to void your contract without fee you could get it done.