Xoom vs. Galaxy Tab/ Do I need a tab??

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been very happy with my DX since i got it in December. I'm starting to look into possibly buying either a Galaxy Tab or a Moto Xoom, but if I did get one, would it be worth it? Or would it feel like I have a second phone just like my Droid X? Thanks in advance.

Neko

Reaction score
I had the Droid X then gave it to my son, then I got myself the Galaxy Tab. I'm very happy with it, cant beat the price. Xoom's to pricey :-(

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hello all, I have been very happy with my DX since i got it in December. I'm starting to look into possibly buying either a Galaxy Tab or a Moto Xoom, but if I did get one, would it be worth it? Or would it feel like I have a second phone just like my Droid X? Thanks in advance.

Your asking questions only you can answer.....

OP
nike1charger23
Reaction score
"Your asking questions only you can answer.....[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not. I'm asking everybody their opinions. I.e., the poll?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score
We can't really tell you if it's necessary for you. For example, for me and my family, it would not be necessary. Among 3 people, we have 2 Droid Xs, 2 laptops, and a desktop computer. We would personally only purchase the wifi version of the Xoom, so could only use it in places where we have our laptops anyways. Therefore, it's not necessary for US. It could be a nice little bonus device... but not a life or death situation.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's how I break it down:

The Xoom is a true tablet experience vs the Galaxy Tab which is just Android 2.2 on a bigger platform.

Can you justify spending that type of money? What do you plan on doing with a tablet?

I personally use mine pretty much for media. It's great to carry around the house vs my netbook. I can lay down on my back and still type on the xoom while on my netbook I can barely see the keys. Easier to carry and does what I want it to without it getting hot or the fan not going full speed.

Now justifying the money is hard. A wifi xoom is $600, quite a hit to your wallet no matter how much you make and the 3g version you got a monthly bill. Having an Incredible already I could not justifying adding a second data line to my plan when I can tether so I went with the wifi version.

With all that being said I love this thing. It does everything I wanted it to do and more. And unlike my netbook it has some games too. It's got a GPS and I just bring it with me when I go places just to use the GPS for fun:) My wallet took a bit of a hit, but it was definitely worth the money to me. I'm gonna be taking alot of roadtrips this summer and it'll be the perfect device to bring; 10hr charge, GPS, games, music, video, browser, etc. If you're going to get a tablet, you might as well get a tablet that has honeycomb on it.

Some drawbacks: if you're into movies the screen itself is a bit disappointing. You get a bit of a ghosting effect depending on the type of movie you're watching, but it's not a dealbreaker (to me at least). For example, I watched "I Love You Man" and the ghosting effect was very noticeable compared to Top Gear which wasn't as noticeable unless you're pretty much looking for ghosting. It also weighs quite a bit and can be a bit awkward to hold due to its shape, I noticed this after holding my friends ipad2 for a couple minutes, which is significantly lighter to me, but I believe the weights are similar.

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
"Your asking questions only you can answer.....

No, I'm not. I'm asking everybody their opinions. I.e., the poll?

Sorry but he is right, because you havent bothered to tell us why you might or might not need one. It is a decision you need to analyze both sides to and make a decision. My girlfriend and I are new VZE customer. The rep tried to sell us a galaxy tab with 2 basic cheapo phones for free. He showed us what the Tab could do and it was pretty cool, but nothing much I couldnt do on my D2G, just a bigger screen and such. She has a laptop that gets the job done for the most part for her. I have a custom built desktop with a Core i7 860, 4GB G.Skill Ram, ATI Sapphire Raedon 4890, 2x80GB Intel G2 SSDs in RAID0, wx1TB HDDs and 2x2TBs HDDs, all Western Digital Caviar Greens with the exception of one which is a Caviar Black. Its meets my basic gaming needs, it meets my needs when I work on modifications for pc games and need to work with 3D models or highly layered photoshop psds, and video editing/conversions. Sure a Tab would be cool to have. Sure it would be convenient for lazy days where I just want to lay in bed and play video games or watch tv, but those days arent often enough to warrant spending the money on a tablet when my D2G can prettym uch satisfy my needs.

So the question remains, what are you needs? We can always provide feedback based on your out put but so far you havent given us any reason to comment on your personal need for a tablet or not.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
I personally bought a Galaxy Tab on launch and love it. I use mine mainly for an ereader and when I am in a wifi area I drop my Thunderbolt and strictly use the Tab. The thing to keep in mind is the Tab runs 2.2 so you are scaling up your phone experience. I also love the keyboard attachment, I have replaced my netbook in this aspect.

I can't speak for the Xoom because I only have minimal time with it, i will say that it is a nice device though.

Look at what you can afford and how it can fit into your life. I mainly use mine at the gym when running on the elliptical. I also replaced my phone when I am at home. Finally, I rather play games on the tab then any other device.

Cast by the Odinson's mighty Mjolnir!

OP
nike1charger23
Reaction score
Yeah, you guys are right. I guess the bigger question that I was really trying to ask was, (to those of you to have an android phone and a tablet: Xoom, galaxy, flyer, whatever), does it feel like the tablet is a new experience for you and it's worth buying, or does it feel like it is just a second phone, and there's nothing new?
Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited: