Nook Color or Galaxy Tab for 299?

anuraj1

Reaction score
There is a rumor that the Galaxy Tab is being lowered to 299 with the Xoom approaching release. I've been considering a tablet to hack and play around with since I love doing that with my Droid1 so much.

So if it was up to you, would you buy a Nook Color for 249 or a Galaxy Tab for 299? I don't know much about hacking tablets, but I'm looking for the one with the best custom rom and overclock capability.

Any help would be very very appreciated!

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
I would stick to android os.. So galaxy tab

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I definitely want an Android Tab, but the Nook Color does run on Android. Once you root it, it can supposedly even run Honeycomb.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, the NC has been rooted and it runs either Froyo or Honeycomb now. I have a rooted NC and it's awesome. That said, I voted for the Galaxy Tab at 299. I simply love it's look and feel as a hand-held device.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Where did you see the Tab price rumor? Was it on or off a contract?

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Where did you see the Tab price rumor? Was it on or off a contract?

I'm not sure if it is on or off contract, but I would only go for it off contract. I can tether my D1 to it, I'd never want to pay for 3G monthly.

Here's the link with the rumor (at the end of the article):

Motorola XOOM will be Available for $599 on Contract at Verizon? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Oh, and on a semi-related note, we’ve got word that the Galaxy Tab is about to drop to $299.

hacku

Reaction score
I just got a Nook Color a week ago and I absolutely love it. I've ran Eclair, Froyo, Honeycomb and now Gingerbread (CM7) on it.

The one thing I really love about this tablet is that's its virtually impossible to brick it because B&N designed it to boot off the SD card before the internal memory. What does this mean? That you can just load a bootable Clockworkmod image on a MicroSD card, put your desired OS on the card and boot from it and install it.

cpjr

Reaction score
If I was only willing to spend $300, and could get a galaxy tab for that (I would not pay the $600 tag for it)....the tab it would be.

Otherwise, I want a Xoom :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for only $50 more, i'd go with the Galaxy. doesn't it come with a data plan though?

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Good point on the required data plan, I was hoping the rumor was for the wifi-only model. Thanks for the responses so far, but we are tied at 5-5 haha. More replies please??

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Bump please... I might dive into the nook today. I'm sick so I'm stuck in bed but I might muster the energy to get up and buy one so I have something to do haha.

Also, does anyone know of a good site like this one to learn about the Nookcolor?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Xda developers is great as well as androidtablets.net. nookdevs.com is also good.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score