Wireless tether question...

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
My wife's Droid 1 won't detect my phone when I tether, but my friend has an ipad and droid 2 and he picks mine up fine. I've also tried Barnacle as well. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Sent from my Droid 2 running Cyanogenmod7!

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
Wireless tether broadcasts in ad-hoc (cpmputer-to-computer) mode. Some devices aren't able to connect to an ad-hoc network. You can try the wpa_supplicant hack (http://goo.gl/noOAw) on the droid1.

Also you need to be rooted to apply the hack, and how does her Droid not have 3g service? Isn't it mandatory for all smartphones?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk.

OP
m1ghtysauc3

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Wireless tether broadcasts in ad-hoc (cpmputer-to-computer) mode. Some devices aren't able to connect to an ad-hoc network. You can try the wpa_supplicant hack (http://goo.gl/noOAw) on the droid1.

Also you need to be rooted to apply the hack, and how does her Droid not have 3g service? Isn't it mandatory for all smartphones?

I don't remember saying she didn't have 3g. I said she couldn't detect my phone when I'm tethering.

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
You didn't. I just don't understand why you would tether one phone through another if it has a 3g connection. The wifi signal you get on the d1 is going to be slower that the 3g connection it could operate on.

OP
m1ghtysauc3

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
You didn't. I just don't understand why you would tether one phone through another if it has a 3g connection. The wifi signal you get on the d1 is going to be slower that the 3g connection it could operate on.

For testing purposes. To make sure tethering is working correctly.