Wireless tether, but Infrastructure mode

Hiroshika

Reaction score
I honestly havent a clue where this should go, so here it is.

I recently recieved the cr-48 notebook from google, and i tried tethering it to my droid with Wireless tether for root users.

However, it will not connect. It will say its "associating with wifi tether"

But then it will just time out and not connect. I have come to understand that this is because wireless tether broadcasts in ad-hoc mode, which the notebook does not support. It requires an infrastructure based network.

Does anyone have a patch for wireless tether/ alternative that allows you to broadcast in infrastructure mode?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe the lack of infrastructure mode is a limitation of the wifi chipset in the Droid 1. That is also the reason why the Droid 1 lacks a Wireless Hotspot app from VZW. Remember when they announced that the D1 wouldn't get this because the hardware doesn't support it? This is what they were referring to.

jsphillips86

Reaction score
Wired

I believe the lack of infrastructure mode is a limitation of the wifi chipset in the Droid 1. That is also the reason why the Droid 1 lacks a Wireless Hotspot app from VZW. Remember when they announced that the D1 wouldn't get this because the hardware doesn't support it? This is what they were referring to.

I know it is not as glamorous, but I use the wired tether app on my Droid with my CR-48, no problem. LAN over usb works just fine!

mapforum

Reaction score
what tether app are you using to connect to cr48

what usb tether app are you using to connect your droid to the cr48?

Where can i get it?

been trying to connect my droid to my cr48 unable to do so thus far

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I downloaded the app provided by the link and it sstill doesnt work. What am I doing wrong? Yes I am rooted

C

cdexsw

I downloaded the app provided by the link and it sstill doesnt work. What am I doing wrong? Yes I am rooted

on your cr-48, disble 3g and enable wifi.

then connect your usb cable from your android device to your cr-48.

on your android device select and turn on the wired.tether app.
*NOTE* make sure wifi and wireless tether or any other usb/wifi apps are disabled on your android device.

you should now have a usb-ethernet connection establiished.

if not.....your SOL

joeshell20

Reaction score
You could also try to use wireless tether for root, and connect through bluetooth. That is of course if your laptop has bluetooth.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

C

cdexsw

You could also try to use wireless tether for root, and connect through bluetooth. That is of course if your laptop has bluetooth.

the Cr-48 has a Atheros AR5BBU12 Bluetooth V2.1 EDR

1] in order to use it the unit needs to be switched to Dev Mode & Rooted

2] after completing the steps on step 1....open a terminal by hitting CTRL+ALT+T.

3] Open up a bash shell. Just type “shell” in the terminal.

4] You’ll need to put your Bluetooth device into discovery mode. If you don’t know how to do this with your device you’ll need to consult a manual or Google it.

5] Type “hcitool scan” to have the Cr-48 scan for Bluetooth devices. You should see device(s) with their addresses listed.

6] Type in the command “hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx” to connect the device, using its address.

7] Depending on your configuration, you may need a key. You can enter this by using ”hcitool auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx”.

While these are the steps to complete the process, the chances if this working to obtain interet access or even connect bt devices is very very very slim.

goodluck :)

zeppelinmad4

Reaction score

the Cr-48 has a Atheros AR5BBU12 Bluetooth V2.1 EDR

1] in order to use it the unit needs to be switched to Dev Mode & Rooted

2] after completing the steps on step 1....open a terminal by hitting CTRL+ALT+T.

3] Open up a bash shell. Just type “shell” in the terminal.

4] You’ll need to put your Bluetooth device into discovery mode. If you don’t know how to do this with your device you’ll need to consult a manual or Google it.

5] Type “hcitool scan” to have the Cr-48 scan for Bluetooth devices. You should see device(s) with their addresses listed.

6] Type in the command “hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx” to connect the device, using its address.

7] Depending on your configuration, you may need a key. You can enter this by using ”hcitool auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx”.

While these are the steps to complete the process, the chances if this working to obtain interet access or even connect bt devices is very very very slim.

goodluck :)

Are you supposed to do anything special after "hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:"? I'm able to get my droid to recognize localhost but when I try to pair it says connection not established.

C

cdexsw

Are you supposed to do anything special after "hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:"? I'm able to get my droid to recognize localhost but when I try to pair it says connection not established.

after you type in the hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (xx being the phones bt mac address) it will or should show connectet or attached devices in wireless lether and under your bluetooth settings.

like i said i have only heard of 2 people getting it to work. the bluetooth on the Cr-48 has a very limited support in the OS at this time. It should be updated and have more features in the next couple of updates.

you could of course compile your own ChromeOS distro and add support/features to enable the bluetooth PAN feature to connect GPS and other devices that make use of it. just google it.

hyperlite

Reaction score

Calinate

Reaction score
Or, you can install PDAnet. The trial is free but doesn't let you connect to SSh sites. A $30 one-time fee gives you the full version that lets you connect to any site. You can connect via USB or Bluetooth. No root required. I bought this program shortly after I bought my Droid 1 and use it all the time.