Why is my phone doing AD-HOC?

Apota

Reaction score
I'm tring to run WiFi tethering software so I can get internet access on my Toshiba Thrive Tablet. I have an original Motorola Droid phone. I rooted the phone and when I run any WiFi tethering software it's broadcasting in Ad-Hoc mode. For some reason my Tablet can't see any Ad-Hoc networks. So, this is a big problem for me.

My friend has a Droid Incredible and he has a custom ROM installed on his phone and his phone doesn't broadcast in Ad-Hoc mode, his phone broadcasts with a regular WiFi connection. Why does his work that way and mine only works in Ad-Hoc? Do I have to install a custom ROM to get mine to work in regular WiFi mode? If so, which ROM is recommended?

Another solution is to get my Tablet to recognize Ad-Hoc networks. Is there some way to do that also?

Thanks so much for all your help and time!

sacnotsack

Reaction score
I used to have an OG and I used the WiFi tethering app religiously. I believe it has to do with the hardware configurationof the OG. To my knowledge the OG only broadcasts the WiFi signal as an adhoc connection. If your tab has a usb port you could tether via usb cable.

Sent from my DINC2 using DroidForums

OP
A

Apota

Reaction score
What's an OG? Well, like I said my friend has a Droid Incredible with a custom ROM and his doesn't broadcast in Ad-Hoc. He broadcasts in regular mode (whatever it's called).

I guess if I can't get the WiFi working I'll have to do it via cable. My Tablet has 2 USB ports. A regular USB port & a mini USB port. Do I have to run apps on both the phone and the Tablet to connect via USB? If so, what apps are recommended to run on both? Thanks!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct. The Droid was not "capable" through Verizon of a wireless hotspot, because of the hardware limitation.
The wifi tether is a workaround using ad-hoc as the connection.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Correct. The Droid was not "capable" through Verizon of a wireless hotspot, because of the hardware limitation.
The wifi tether is a workaround using ad-hoc as the connection.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

+1

ALOHA from Hawaii

OP
A

Apota

Reaction score
So, are you saying even though the Droid Incredible can broadcast in regular WiFi mode that the original Droid can't do it and it can only broadcast in Ad-Hoc because of hardware limitations?

If that's so, then I either have to get my Table to see Ad-Hoc networks, or find out how to tether with a USB cable. Do I have to run aps on both the Droid and the Tablet to get it to work via a USB cable? All the USB Tethering aps I can find seem to only work with PCs and not Tablets.

If that's true I've been reading that you can get Tablets to find Ad-Hoc networks, but you have to make some modifictions, but I can't find any information on how to do it with the Toshiba Thrive. Does anybody know anything about that? Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I know nothing about that tablet.

However the Xoom can be made to see ad-hoc, from what I've heard.

And I believe the PC needs a driver to tether using USB, so I don't know that the tablet would work in the same fashion.

OP
A

Apota

Reaction score
From what I've been reading online you can get tablets to see Ad-Hoc networks. You need to patch the wpasupplicant. There are different versions of the wpasupplicant 0.5 and 0.6. I don't know if any of those versions will even work with my tablet. I can't find any information on it with my tablet. Here are some links that I found about it. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can help me with it.

Adhoc Patch for Android wpasupplicant

Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant - xda-developers

From what I can tell you can't do a USB tether to a Tablet, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

It looks like my older Droid phone only supports Ad-Hoc and that it's a hardware issue, so if I get a newer phone like the Droid Incredible then I won't have the Ad-Hoc issue, but I'm not completely sure about that issue either. Thanks!

I'm sorry I know nothing about that tablet.

However the Xoom can be made to see ad-hoc, from what I've heard.

And I believe the PC needs a driver to tether using USB, so I don't know that the tablet would work in the same fashion.