Wireless Hotspot Working on the RAZR HD via SQlite Hack

chuckh1958

Reaction score
So, I have a brand new razr hd from verizon. I have a 2gb data plan and not a grandfathered unlimited plan. When I try to tether it tells me I have to buy the tethering plan. Why?

hotice

Reaction score
Verizon can still make it a pain for you. You're getting that message app because you're using the built-in tethering or an app that just enables the built in tethering which Verizon modified. There are apps out there, like FoxFi, that do tethering on their own. You can do this over USB, Wifi, or bluetooth. With the current version of Android on a Razr HD FoxFi will work fine to share your wifi but it does require using a certificate, which it will install, and as long as the cert is installed it forces you to use a lock screen - which is a pain. That must be a moto thing. It doesn't do that on other devices like the GS3. I don't think it does that if you use USB tethering. So you say, well how is this better than it was? Verizon used to actually block tethering apps in the store and threten you if you used them saying you're breaking the law or something. They legally can't do any of that now. It's perfectly legal to use a tethering app and Verizon can't even block them on the Play store.

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Verizon can still make it a pain for you. You're getting that message app because you're using the built-in tethering or an app that just enables the built in tethering which Verizon modified. There are apps out there, like FoxFi, that do tethering on their own. You can do this over USB, Wifi, or bluetooth. With the current version of Android on a Razr HD FoxFi will work fine to share your wifi but it does require using a certificate, which it will install, and as long as the cert is installed it forces you to use a lock screen - which is a pain. That must be a moto thing. It doesn't do that on other devices like the GS3. I don't think it does that if you use USB tethering. So you say, well how is this better than it was? Verizon used to actually block tethering apps in the store and threten you if you used them saying you're breaking the law or something. They legally can't do any of that now. It's perfectly legal to use a tethering app and Verizon can't even block them on the Play store.

The cert doesn't bother me but I want to tether for free. FoxFi now requires you to get the paid version or limits the time/data you can use it with.

I've rooted my phone and am now experimenting with other tethering apps but none of their SSIDs show up in Windows. I've tried Wireless Tether and Wifi Tether so far. No luck with either.

xtor

Reaction score
The cert doesn't bother me but I want to tether for free. FoxFi now requires you to get the paid version or limits the time/data you can use it with.

I've rooted my phone and am now experimenting with other tethering apps but none of their SSIDs show up in Windows. I've tried Wireless Tether and Wifi Tether so far. No luck with either.

Most people have used the free foxfi for years, and paying the dev for this great app after years of it being free is the least we can do. If your on unlimited it's cheaper then the $30 Verizon was charging

bb to dx to razr to note 2 oh my