Wireless Hotspot Working on the RAZR HD via SQlite Hack

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

images

Obviously Verizon offers a hotspot service that allows you to share your data with your tablet, PC, or gaming device. They also charge you $20 for the privilege. It has been discovered that the SQlite hack that allowed us to use the Wireless tether on our Bionics also works on the new RAZR HD. To get it all working you will need Sqlite editor. It is $2.99 from the playstore.

The Hack is easy if you are into simple tinkering follow the Source link for a full guide. Otherwise FoxFi has been updated to support the RAZR HD!

Via XDA

It was pointed out by DroidForums Member SteveIrv that those of you who are on the Shared Data plan are free to share data between devices with included hotspot. Also if you are not on the Shared Data Plan it may violate your Terms Of Service if you use an app like FoxFi to circumvent the $20 hotspot fee, so use at your own risk.

Last edited:

SteveIrv

Reaction score
This type of misinformation isn't very helpful.

First off....Verizon users on the Share Everything plans which have been offered for almost a year CAN do hotspots WITHOUT software hacks and it does NOT cost them any extra.

For people on the old "godfathered" unlimited data plans, you can also do the hotspot thing for a fee of $20 a month.

If you choose to use a software hack to circumvent the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up for your phone service, that' up to you. But you CAN (if caught) be found to be in violation of your contract and have your cell phone service turned off.

I'm not passing judgement here on people who make the choice to "pirate" hotspot service without paying the applicable fees......I'm just sayin'.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This type of misinformation isn't very helpful.

First off....Verizon users on the Share Everything plans which have been offered for almost a year CAN do hotspots WITHOUT software hacks and it does NOT cost them any extra.

For people on the old "godfathered" unlimited data plans, you can also do the hotspot thing for a fee of $20 a month.

If you choose to use a software hack to circumvent the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up for your phone service, that' up to you. But you CAN (if caught) be found to be in violation of your contract and have your cell phone service turned off.

I'm not passing judgement here on people who make the choice to "pirate" hotspot service without paying the applicable fees......I'm just sayin'.

Im sorry I thought Verizon just had to pay the FCC a $1.25 Million fine for blocking the use of tethering apps. How can it be pirating if they were forced to pay such a large fine for blocking the ability to tether for free?

soulpatch

Reaction score
Im sorry I thought Verizon just had to pay the FCC a $1.25 Million fine for blocking the use of tethering apps. How can it be pirating if they were forced to pay such a large fine for blocking the ability to tether for free?

The agreement that they made stated that they could still charge for those on unlimited data to have hot spot. It is included for everyone else at this point following the ruling

SteveIrv

Reaction score

images

Obviously Verizon offers a hotspot service that allows you to share your data with your tablet, PC, or gaming device. They also charge you $20 for the privilege. It has been discovered that the SQlite hack that allowed us to use the Wireless tether on our Bionics also works on the new RAZR HD. To get it all working you will need Sqlite editor. It is $2.99 from the playstore.

The Hack is easy if you are into simple tinkering follow the Source link for a full guide. Otherwise FoxFi has been updated to support the RAZR HD!

Via XDA

It was pointed out by DroidForums Member SteveIrv that those of you who are on the Shared Data plan are free to share data between devices with included hotspot. Also it may violate your Terms Of Service if you use an app like FoxFi so use at your own risk.

That's not exactly what I said.......

I said that those who are on the Share Data Plans are able to do the hotspot thing at no extra charge. I also said that people NOT on those plans would be in violation of terms of service by using "hacks" to get around applicable charges.

People who are on the Shared Data plans can use their phones for hotspots without the use of apps like Foxfi. The use of apps like Foxfi doesn't in itself cause any violaiton or "issue"......it's the use of apps like it in an effort to use contracted services without paying the agreed upon fee.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Prety sure after the court ruling that those on any tiered plan now get hotspot at no charge. Only those of us still on grandfathered unlimited are charged.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
The agreement that they made stated that they could still charge for those on unlimited data to have hot spot. It is included for everyone else at this point following the ruling

Correct.....Verizon paid the $1.25 million fine because they continued to charge people on data plans with caps the tethering fees when they should not have. They are still able to charge tethering fees to the old "godfathered" unlimited data plans that are slowly being phased out.

This is a confusing issue since some media reported on the issue incorrectly back in August and then corrected their reports within just a few weeks. Several times I've had the original articles cited to me as a source on this.....and then I've cited the follow up......LOL

hotice

Reaction score
Use FoxFi all you want!

Verizon cannot legally charge extra for wifi tethering on any of their LTE devices!!! They lost a lawsuit recently about that. You can ignore the terms of service. Thankfully somebody had some common sense. It has to do with terms of the purchase of the frequencies Verizon uses for LTE.
Here are a few links for you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

Verizon to stop blocking tethering apps, settles with FCC for $1.25 million -- Engadget

hotice

Reaction score
Correct.....Verizon paid the $1.25 million fine because they continued to charge people on data plans with caps the tethering fees when they should not have. They are still able to charge tethering fees to the old "godfathered" unlimited data plans that are slowly being phased out.

This is a confusing issue since some media reported on the issue incorrectly back in August and then corrected their reports within just a few weeks. Several times I've had the original articles cited to me as a source on this.....and then I've cited the follow up......LOL
I'm pretty sure they can't charge for anyone on LTE.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Verizon cannot legally charge extra for wifi tethering on any of their LTE devices!!! They lost a lawsuit recently about that. You can ignore the terms of service. Thankfully somebody had some common sense. It has to do with terms of the purchase of the frequencies Verizon uses for LTE.
Here are a few links for you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

Verizon to stop blocking tethering apps, settles with FCC for $1.25 million -- Engadget

That is not totally true. If you have unlimited data still it is still within VZW's right to block the app and it IS against your TOS still. Only those paying for data on some form of tiered data plan are able to hotspot without paying extra for it now....reading comprehension pays...

soulpatch

Reaction score

Those of us they grandfathered into unlimited while on LTE are exempt from this ruling...

If you read the links you posted you woudl have seen this. Only usage based plans are covered so only those tiered plans are covered by this free hot spot since you are paying for the data already it should not matter how you go about using it.

SteveIrv

Reaction score

You wouldn't win any bets on that.......anyone one a tiered data plan has "free" tethering. People on the grandfathered unlimited plans must pay $20 a month to tether.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Those of us they grandfathered into unlimited while on LTE are exempt from this ruling...

If you read the links you posted you woudl have seen this. Only usage based plans are covered so only those tiered plans are covered by this free hot spot since you are paying for the data already it should not matter how you go about using it.

Yep......

The difference on the grandfathered unlimited plans also is that Verizon will not subsidize the cost of phones......which means that you don't buy a Razr M for $99 (example)....you pay full retail price.

Last month I bought a pair of Razr M's ($149 for both phones) to replace the D2G's my wife and I had. I needed to move off a 3G plan to 4G LTE service. I was offered to keep my unlimited plan IF I wanted to pay full retail price for my phones...I didn't want to do THAT. LOL

I switched to the new Share Everything plan. My wife and I don't do much data (wifi is available for us a LOT) so hitting/exceeding a cap wasn't a concern. But we had just cut the cord on our house landline so the new plan's unlimited talk was attractive. We chose a 4GB a month plan and our cost went down about a buck a month. And now...I can tether if I want without paying the extra $20. I seldom tether, but if I'm going on vacation and need to...I can bump up my plan to a higher cap for that month so I don't exceed my cap.