Wireless charging pad slowing down?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Is this possible? I just got a new battery for the GS5 (there was a bulge in the old one). But I put it on the wireless (Samsung) charger and it charges now really slowly. Do they wear out in time? I've had it about a year. When I plug it directly into the wall, it charges very quickly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Charging pads will either work or not. There is are performance changes that you should experience over time. There are no moving parts and all components are solid state or fixed hardware components so unless they fail completely you should find that it works just as good three years later as it did brand new.

True that some components may degrade over time (such as capacitors), but generally you won't experience that for many years. By the time they do begin to degrade and based on how fast technology is evolving, the device itself will likely be antiquated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
I have some wireless LG chargers that are a couple of years old. No difference in charge rate between various devices at any point in ownership. How are you wirelessly charging the S5? Factory back? Insert? It sounds like one of your contact points between charge coil and the S5 is not complete. Friend with S5 and insert has a heck of time achieving proper alignment. I recommended a little bit of schotchtape to hold the insert in place during install.

On my S5's, I have the official wireless back. Zero problems with alignment.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Yes I put scotch tape on the contacts too to hold them down but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Well, I guess I can live with it. If I need a faster charge, I can always to back to the wire.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I may stop wireless charging. It's heating the phone up a lot and that led to a battery bulge in my old battery. I've been charging it on the wire for the last couple days. It's much much faster and doesn't heat up at all. I think I'll stick with that. Opening the cover every time is kind of a pain but I think it'll be easier on the battery.