wireless and 4g data being used at the same time it used to not do that

bohemouth

Reaction score
I looked through the threads here and i didn't see any mention of this so i think i will ask. I got a replacement Note 3, the kitkat update happened and it it has been great for two days, the Wifi went on and the data turned off, so I'm just using wi-fi in the house. When I go out, I turn Wifi off because it just keeps searching and searching, I just turn it on if I know I'm gonna be some place that has Wifi and I'll be there for a while.

when I got home this evening, I turned my Wifi back on and it came on like it always does, however my 4g data had not turned off, the 4g icon usually getts darker to show that it is not on. My question is why is it doing it now when it wasn't before and has any one had an issue with their wifi status after the kitkat update? I don't know the Note 3 with any other software, I don't know how it behaved with JB.

Thanks. Boh

KevinJ

Reaction score
I have that problem as well with the new update. Whether my phone had the problem before I don't know, since I just got it on Friday (a friend gave it to me since he wasn't using it).

The workaround I found is to turn on 'Airplane Mode' and then turn off 'Airplane Mode.' I do that and the phone connects to my Wifi only. See if that works for you.

OP
bohemouth

bohemouth

Reaction score
I have that problem as well with the new update. Whether my phone had the problem before I don't know, since I just got it on Friday (a friend gave it to me since he wasn't using it).

The workaround I found is to turn on 'Airplane Mode' and then turn off 'Airplane Mode.' I do that and the phone connects to my Wifi only. See if that works for you.

Thanks kevin, i tried that and it did not work. I did however turn the phone off then turn it on again and that seemed to work that time. Thanks for your suggestion!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Does the symbol stay there or does it go away eventually? I have a similar issue (I'm still on JB though), where I'll be on wi-fi but the 4g symbol still appears, yet it'll disappear after 5 minutes. However I use a data monitoring app and haven noticed that even when this happens, it doesn't seem to use any data.

Why it happened I could not tell you, but if it eases your worries a bit, a minimum of 5 min of the symbol didn't even use 1mb.

Also, if your phone is constantly searching for wifi then something is not right, more likely a setting than a hardware issue. When I first got the phone I tested with/without wifi on to compare battery use and I didn't notice even a slight difference.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I asked a Samsung rep about that today (there happened to be one at the Best Buy I was at), and he said to look at the little arrows next to the icon. Even though both of visible, you will only see the WiFi one using data. The 4G is on "standby" in case the WiFi goes down. I realy didn't believe him so when I got home I watched for about 15 minutes, and sure enough only the WiFi used the data stream.

Another thing I did as a workaround was to turn off the 'Mobile Data' function. That forces just the WiFi, and I can do everything I need to when at home. But that's just me, your mileage may vary. :)