Excited for my new Note 3!! however...

bohemouth

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I just got my new note 3 in the mail today. I had a Droid RAZR Maxx HD, loved that phone, but I guess someone loved it more than me and it got stolen on my birthday! The monkeys at Big Red suspended the device and jumped my upgrade date from 6/30/14 to 6/10/14. So I ordered the phone i have been wanting for a while now. Samsung Note 3. This is my first Samsung phone.

The advice i am going to ask for next may seem silly and naive, but here goes. I am not really savvy with my smart phone expertise, but I like good looking phones that work real well, my RAZR Maxx HD was that phone, and I have heard nothing but praises for the Note 3, I have played around with a few and I am hooked, so happy to have it in my possession! it's charging right now. I havent even turned it on yet.

This is why. two questions; Since the roll out of KitKat I have heard nothing but horror stories of how it destroyed the great capabilities of their beloved Note 3. I know it made my MaxxHD just about useless and the battery became a joke. So I was thinking, I have a week and a 1/2 with the phone, I was thinking about doing the kit kat update and see how I do, or just turn around and send it back and get the Galaxy s5 which already has KitKat on it so however the phone is going to be, that's pretty much how it's going to be (not neccesarily, say the rooters and phone savvy folks) I am not too confident in rooting my phone maybe one day I will be brave enough to do so.

this may seem silly but I have been burned a lot lately by Big Red dealing with my husbands phone. I really don't want to be burned again, and again. advice please? and if you are mean and condescending you will be ignored.
I really want to keep the Note 3, but having a crappy updated phone is a struggle that I maybe I have to do a factory reset every month I do not want to deal with for that two years. I mean there is no telling the S5 is going to be any better, but those are the two options I am looking at. I guess this is what I get for reading too much into negative comments about KitKat on the interweb.:blink:

thanks for your comments, suggestions and advice.:crazy:
Boh

1drummernamedmarcus

Reaction score
I reccomend rooting. If were talking the note 3 it is kinda tricky. But not beyond reach.
Next is a custom kernel such as agni. This allows you to tweak the procceser and give more speed and efficiency for the device. The beauty of having a rooted device is custom recovery such as twrp this program gives you the ability to back up your active system like a snapshot. Rooting and custom rom and custom firmware also gives you the ability to have a device thats "debloated" all the preloaded apps that come from you carrier and never get used and constantly update and use more space and take up more resource..
Then theres batterys like the zerolemon.. Amazing 3 to 4 days off a charge.. no joke.
Im running the note2 with a custom kk rom dn3 beta2 to be exact. Ty @eteam @xda the phone has a custom kernal agni r3 to be exact in running the zero lemon battery. The phone has zero lag no force closes ive never done a factory reset a hsve cystom recovery and a restore image and if things go south i boot into thst recovery and restore that image and im right back to were i am as we speak no muss no fuss. If you would like more info i encourage you to go to xda.com and look under forums for your EXACT phone make and model and read. And im open to discuss this further on this forum pm or open.

Sent from my MARCUS! using Tapatalk

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Note 3. Since the Kit Kat update, I have had minor issues with the radios but that is about it. The battery is as strong as ever.

I would recommend downloading Kit Kat then doing a factory data reset before you start loading apps.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Mine came with kitkat, but I hear you. I too have had phones that were killed by the latest update. Full data reset before updating might be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

OP
bohemouth

bohemouth

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Note 3. Since the Kit Kat update, I have had minor issues with the radios but that is about it. The battery is as strong as ever.

I would recommend downloading Kit Kat then doing a factory data reset before you start loading apps.

So you're saying turn the phone on do everything to activate it, download the kitkat, if it isn't already on it, then shut it down (factory reset) then do it alover again and then load all my apps and such? Just making sure. :)

lterry913

Reaction score
So you're saying turn the phone on do everything to activate it, download the kitkat, if it isn't already on it, then shut it down (factory reset) then do it alover again and then load all my apps and such? Just making sure. :)
I think you got it... If you never used jelly bean on note 3 you won't know the difference between it and kit kat.... Most of our issues changing over come from us already having info on our external SD cards and the lack of read ability after the change. Some have had battery issues but if it's a new device there should be nothing old running to use battery.

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Hi friend! I too had a Razr Maxx HD and switched over to Note 3 just this past Sunday. The phone obviously when it was initiated had jellybean but the update for Kitcat immediately came to it, so I downloaded it before I installed anything since I figured I wouldn't get away from Kit Kat. I have to say that I like the phone. I would call myself a moderate user, and I can get out of day to a day and half with the phone. I think more heavy user could get about a day. From reading on more with this form, I do think to some of the problems people are having with people who had had this.phone with jellybean and updated to Kitkat without resetting their phone. It seem like that was causing issues, once people restored their phone and upgraded to Kit Kat, it was working fine. Of course there are people who will have issues with their phones. I have read a few who talk about their note 3 very badly, but then I see a lot of people on this form and some people in real life, including me, who love the phone! I guess with phones it's hit or miss. Knock on wood, I'm having luck with my phone and hope to have a long while! Good luck to you and your phone!

Thinkfreshdell

Reaction score
I'm currently a iPhone user. I started off with android, and ended up switching to apple. I feel like its time to make the switch back. I've been looking at getting the note 3. Anyone have any suggestions? Can you give me some comparison's as to why you would prefer the note 3 over a apple product.

1drummernamedmarcus

Reaction score
Main reason apple is a closed platform.. android is an open platform

OP
bohemouth

bohemouth

Reaction score
I think you got it... If you never used jelly bean on note 3 you won't know the difference between it and kit kat.... Most of our issues changing over come from us already having info on our external SD cards and the lack of read ability after the change. Some have had battery issues but if it's a new device there should be nothing old running to use battery.

I did it. When I activated the phone the first time, then up popped the kit kat update instantly I updated it, waited around till the update was complete.I then did a factory reset and set everything up all over again. it seems to work out so far so good! Thanks for the advice y'all!

NOVICE

Reaction score
I was one of those people complaining bitterly about how KitKat had destroyed my phone. Killed my battery, etc.

Well, eventually I put on my big boy pants and did a factory reset and it appears to have resolved all my problems. In fact, I plan on doing a reset every 2 or 3 months in the future as it appears to improve performance. Google has done a great job in easing the tribulations of a reset. My apps all downloaded automatically and I was off to the races.

My biggest problem with KitKat, and it's a big one, is that I can longer write directly to my SD card using the phone. I'm hopeful that future apps will get around this without the necessity of rooting.

I'm completely sold on the Note line and expect to be upgrading around every October when the new model comes out. The S Pen is invaluable once you become habituated to it.

NOVICE

Reaction score

1drummernamedmarcus

Reaction score
Thats a good question ☺ check out xda for your answer.. i do know the bootlader is locked

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
As far as I know root is not available yet. I know they finally rooted the S5 so I'm sure they will for the Note 3