Will it ever be possible?

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
For an app that would allow for wireless battery charging for the devices that exist now? Or will it only be possible with added hardware on future phones? Or will it ever be possible?

Or, does it exist now and I am behind on following this board? lol

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

OP
mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Yeah thats neat. I was kind of thinking more along the lines of charging over wifi while your phone is just laying around or even in use.

Im visualizing the usb adapter and the phone being charged while connected to a pc. Now, take away the cable and replace it with a wireless connection. Is it not possible to get a charge like you do while connected via cable?

I realize the signals are accepted by the phone in 2 different locations, usb and wifi adapter but, I dunno. Seems logical to me to develop an app to be able to somehow accept juice and reroute it to the battery. I guess accepting a charge via wireless antenna isnt possible. I just wondered if anyone sees it being done in the future?

Yodes

Reaction score
Not with current hardware. Not with current wifi standards. Neither have the capability to send and receive something that could be used as power. Wifi sends data only. Who knows though, perhaps in the future we will be past power cords.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I wondered whether existing devices might work with just software changes to existing hardware but it looks like thats asking too much.

I do envision a day very soon when as long as a wifi signal is available that charging your battery may have to happen a couple times a week maybe, if that.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Cdjones187

Reaction score

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I wondered whether existing devices might work with just software changes to existing hardware but it looks like thats asking too much.

I do envision a day very soon when as long as a wifi signal is available that charging your battery may have to happen a couple times a week maybe, if that.

Thanks for the input, guys!

It definately wont be standard on phones, if they made it so you can charge your phone throug wifi they wouldnt make money selling chargers anymore. Most likely will be a addon to the phone and will cost you a pretty penny.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
It would have to be a dongle like the blackberry at this point, the current hardware is not set up for it, might be able to convert that blackberry one to mate to the droid though, mini usb to micro usb adapter.