Tethering?

umpire.20

Reaction score
Outstanding. I downloaded and installed PDANet on my Droid & my laptop. I disconnected my "lan cable" from the laptop and tried to use the PDANet connection.

SMOKIN!!!!!!!! :icon_ banana:
For me, this will only be used when at a hotel, or similar, that charges daily for internet service. Given the choice, I will use the hotel's wired or wireless network and keep my phone out of the picture. But, when I MUST pay for daily internet service ......... enter my Droid X and PDANet. For the moment, I have the FREE version installed. Do you happen to know how long it will offer "full" access before it restricts me?

This is one happy Umpire, here. Thanks for your help. Have a GREAT day.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
ump - PDA is always free, what you will find is you can't log onto sites (because that requires https access as opposed to regular http) You have to pay 29.95 to get https access.

For the limited time you plan to use it, if your computer stores your passwords, you won't have to worry as it automatically logs you in. Its just if you have to re-log in or go somewhere you don't have your password stored for will you run into problems.

Beyond that, if you find you really need to log into somewhere, and you are on PDANet lite.... go to Ninja Cloak | Fast, free, anonymous web browsing with NinjaCloak.com and then you can go to your website and log in through a proxy. Just a work around.

OK, lets move off the subject of stealing from Verizon and talk about tethering. There is a difference.

Huh? Where do you draw the line between 'just tethering' to when it becomes 'stealing'?

Seems pretty vague to me. And who decides? You? Verizon?

I could get on board w/verizon deciding, but judging by all the pricey bills, cancellations and EFTs people are having....I'm under the impression that no matter what the amount.... its not stealing

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

you most probably wont ever get caught, but if you've convinced yourself that it's not stealing you're clearly exhibiting signs of pathological lying...to others and to yourself. It's stealing no matter how you want to look at it...whether you get caught or not is irrelevant. I for one don't think you'll ever "get caught", but it's kinda strange that you have told yourself it's not stealing over and over to the point that you now believe it....

or it's called unlimited data, and I use unlimited data...

but as far as wireless vs wired....

I use wireless pretty much 99% of the time, but when I'm at a hotel, I used wired just for better security. Heck, even when they offer wireless for free at the hotel, I would rather used wired as it's just a lot more secure than sharing.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Of course ATT recently bagged iphone users who used jailbreak to tether. Will verizon do the same?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

vatothe0

Reaction score
Of course ATT recently bagged iphone users who used jailbreak to tether. Will verizon do the same?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Probably. If someone was taking money out of your pocket, wouldnt you try to stop it?

Sent from my DROIDX

JDPcitrus

Reaction score
Just would like some help tethering to my Wii!

So i have rooted my phone an run Barnacle WiFi tether an it connects to my laptop an Xbox 360 but not my Wii???? I'm very puzzled an have tried to play with the settings an still nope. So if anyone out there can it would be much appreciated! Oh yea an I'm on a Moto Citrus (Duh! Cuz of my Name) an Stock Rom 2.1 Eclair an used z4root to permaroot!:greendroid:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
1) Tethering for gaming without a tethering plan is a Bad Idea.

2) Are you in Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure mode? I ask because the Wii won't see/connect to an Ad-Hoc connection.

JustisLewis

Reaction score
Why is it a bad idea to tether for gaming without the tethering plan??

Because it uses large amounts of data and that sort of abusive tethering is one of the causes of vzw cracking down on us (rooters in general)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums