Tethering for moto droid -- no root

pyro6128

Reaction score
why are you tethering to play pandora when you can just download the app and play it on your phone. you're taking an unnecessary risk

RichStevenson

Reaction score
well then i might have a large bill coming bc ive used almost 12gb just on my droid streaming pandora 12hr a day 5 days a week at work plus all the other things i do on it
That is a lot but you can stream pandora by virtue of the app in the market, so I would consider that ok.That would be my argument to VZW if they did ding you for it.

Dream

Reaction score
I use PDANet with great luck, I am getting wicked fast download speeds with it.

amjacobs1

Reaction score
well then i might have a large bill coming bc ive used almost 12gb just on my droid streaming pandora 12hr a day 5 days a week at work plus all the other things i do on it
I'm also just curious why you would need tethering for Pandora? I have the Pandora app on my phone and a link to Pandora via the browser on my laptop.

swallman

Reaction score
I don't believe VZW can actually tell that you're using PDANET, can they ? I think all their side sees is Data Usage, not what app is using it.

I did use PDANET last week when I was staying someplace without WiFi - was able to watch an hour of House on Hulu. Worked great, and I think it was only like 200 MB or so total usage.

Chugworth

Reaction score
I don't believe VZW can actually tell that you're using PDANET, can they ? I think all their side sees is Data Usage, not what app is using it.
Welll... If Verizon was sniffing the traffic going through their network they could identify traffic originating from a desktop web browser instead of the mobile browser.

No need to worry though. I'm sure Verizon would never spy on their customers. ;)

RACEME

Reaction score
I am struggling with this one. I can not connect thru my droid. It says there is supposed to be a pdanet icon in my windows tray, but I don't have one. How do I trouble shoot this?

myDownfall

Reaction score
I am struggling with this one. I can not connect thru my droid. It says there is supposed to be a pdanet icon in my windows tray, but I don't have one. How do I trouble shoot this?

Do you have the application installed on your computer as well? Once installed, run the program it should put an icon in your task bar(by the clock). Right-click on it and click 'connect'.

RACEME

Reaction score

Do you have the application installed on your computer as well? Once installed, run the program it should put an icon in your task bar(by the clock). Right-click on it and click 'connect'.

The darn thing won't install on my computer. If gets to the point where you attach the droid, and it can not detect it. I know it is mounted as I can move files back and forth.

RichStevenson

Reaction score

The darn thing won't install on my computer. If gets to the point where you attach the droid, and it can not detect it. I know it is mounted as I can move files back and forth.

Did you turn on usb debugging on the phone?
Menu|Settings|Applications|Development|USB Debugging

RACEME

Reaction score

Did you turn on usb debugging on the phone?
Menu|Settings|Applications|Development|USB Debugging

Yes, everything on the phone end seems fine, but the computer is not cooperating.

RyanRacer48

Reaction score
When your selling such a capable phone and still being stuck w/ charges for data on an unlimited data plan is just absurd. How many people who own a droid you think have even HEARD of the term tethering.

IF verizons network can't handle EVERY one of their smart phones being used simultaneously ( obviously unrealistic ) they need to up their bandwidth. Just my opinion.

Would you guys find it fair if Verizon charged you for Visual Voice mail because you signed up for GOOGLE voice??

gone+fishin

Reaction score
Well, I'm at about 102GB for this billing period. Just got done downloading my 18th game from Steam using my phone. This should test out the theory of Verizon sniffing my web traffic or not.