Will Froyo usher in a new level of apps?

Omega384

Reaction score
Just received 4 new app updates, all of which notified they would be 2.2 compatable (which is fine and all)... but these are the first set of updates that have gave me some hope becuase they seemed to be trending into a new fancier, user friendly direction. For many months on these forums people (including myself) have been hoping android apps would soon evolve and become better, more user friendly.. and in some cases (pardon the obnoxiously used comparison) iphone-like, and in some respects they have. Now even though many argue we are still fairly young into android main stream lives, I still think progress has been a bit slow given how fast things work now-a-days. But I honestly believe, and hope, that in the post 2.1 dissapointment world, and envigorating pre 2.2 world, that dev's are going to step it up and produce some world class apps (especially since they will soon not have to be size concious with SD card storage). Anyway, just wondering if anyone else feels the same as me.. I have a feeling, regardless of when 2.2 actually comes to us, we shall be seeing a new age of android coming to us.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
like what apps are you noticing the difference in? but i did check today and had 12 apps that needed to be updated

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I had 11 that needed updates.

I don't think that 2.2 will cause an explosion of apps, I think it will be due to developers that have already jumped on board and have gotten into the groove of Android Development.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not an explosion of new functionality, I suspect. From the information coming out of Google's Android group, it appears that significant enhancements can be expected every few months for the foreseeable future. If they manage to keep up that pace, it's unlikely that any single release will be a milestone.

On the other hand, a couple of features in 2.2 may encourage growth in a couple of areas. First, if the reports of improvements in calculations are true, there may be some migration of computing intensive applications "down" from laptops/netbooks to phones. Second, enabling application developers to store their apps on the SD Card may open the android to larger apps without significant rewriting.

Both of these capabilities point toward more and more sophisticated games on the android platform as well as some niche applications running on phones that until now required the computing power of a higher spec chip on a portable pc.

Skaggz

Reaction score
With full flash support in the browser, I wonder if there will be flash support in the basic framework as well. If so, apps could possibly be coded in flash. This could bring potentially more developers into the Android scene.

KevinJ

Reaction score
A question if you please regarding these updates...

I had 5 updates this morning, all of them saying something about 2.2 (froyo). I didn't accept any of the updates because I wasn't sure that it would mean anything to my 2.1 Droid.

Are these app developers just getting ready for 2.2, or should I wait until 2.2 is released before updating any apps?

justicw

Reaction score
I only want 1 app :) FLASH!!! (oh and a side note someone smart to make hulu work). LOL