WiFI

ceeya

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the benefits of wifi are with this phone...i do not get good reception in my part of the house. will this help and what are the benefits and downside to it...thanks

P.S. my back cover has fallen off the droid twice already...anyone else?

Earthwalker

Reaction score
First for me wifi is faster. Second with the little time I have played with it. I see a difference in video quality with youtube. Much better with wifi.
Plus more options. Voip and quick checks for wifi.

My back has not follen off. It fits very solid.

mjs31

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the benefits of wifi are with this phone...i do not get good reception in my part of the house. will this help and what are the benefits and downside to it...thanks

P.S. my back cover has fallen off the droid twice already...anyone else?

Wifi can be helpful in areas where reception is not the best or 3g is not available. Big speed increase.

Battery door fell off? Damn...I took me a while to get mine off lol. Mine is solid.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
wifi helps with data.. im not sure if theres an app for VoIP on the android.. the back of my droid hasn't fallen off.. it sits perfectly.

Remnever

Reaction score
Doesn't wifi also drain your battery faster? I keep mine turned off until I need it for a certain app or serious browsing.

My battery door has not fallen off but I got a hard case/cover for my phone when I bought it and I only took it off to inspect the phone real quick when I got home.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Doesn't wifi also drain your battery faster? I keep mine turned off until I need it for a certain app or serious browsing.

My battery door has not fallen off but I got a hard case/cover for my phone when I bought it and I only took it off to inspect the phone real quick when I got home.

They have a few nice toggle switches in the marketplace for just that reason.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not like clicking the 3 buttons it takes to turn it on is all that hard.

Remnever

Reaction score
True. Mine is normally turned off anyway because I get good service in my city. I'm just trying to put some stuff on my home screens. They look empty.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hell two of my home screens are almost full now the other only has 1 row.
And we were talking about not needing three screens... mine is almost full too! My batteery door is solid, I recommend you take it back...

Remnever

Reaction score
Well I don't think we NEED three screens. I figure if I have the screen space I might as well try and use it. But I am sure I could do without certain apps on my home screens if the space was not available.

rlb

Reaction score
Check out Locale. It manages things like WiFi status, ring tone/volume setting etc based on your location.

I use it to set my default WiFi status to Off. When I'm hget home, Locale turns it on.

When I get to work, locale makes sure my phone is set to silent/vibrate.

FWIW I installed it last night and don't have any real world experience with this app yet :)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With WIFi enabled and signed in you can talk and surf the web or IM also. It will allow for multiple things at once :icon_ banana:. Since the conversation is on the network and the other stuff is through WIFI. Not sure if it kills you battery faster but I suppose it would if it was searching for a network all day.

I'm sure to have mine set to use wifi at work :) but not at home. Plus when you are out or on the road somewhere or vacation. Anywhere there's WIFI you'll be able to get online. Even if you signal strength is bad. That's a very good benefit to me. Then you'll have access to maps, email and the online world. Even on an airplane (where the broadcast WIFI). You can turn off you radio but turn on WIFI. Talk with your friends online or post here :) and never get your laptop out :icon_ banana:. That would certainly make my plane rides more enjoyable :biggrin: