WiFi.. it's cost

Grnzoom

Reaction score
When I got my X the guys at Verizon said I could use it as a HotSpot. Well, today I found out you have sign up and pay for the service for you X to be used as a HopSpot.
Has anyone else been mislead?
Nick

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root your X and you can do the same thing for free. Head over to droidxforums.com for a step by step on how to do this.

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Try this....works great for me and you dont need root.
1. Make phone discoverable

2. Open bluetooth devices in windows -> Add a device.

3. click on the phone that pops up.

4. click ok that the PIN numbers match.

5. Give it a minute to install the drivers, Don't worry if there's still an exclamation point in a triangle. It will still work.

6. Right click on the phone in the windows BT devices panel.

7. Select Connect as -> Access Point.

8. You are now online.
user_offline.gif

Last edited:

FireDroid

Reaction score
I bet this is on you, It has been all over the place that the teather was going to cost $20 a month. It is on the site and in literature everywhere. They were right, you can use your x as a mobile hotspot, you just have to pay to do it!

Better research next time maybe??

ChugIt

Reaction score
Root, problem solved. Otherwise you will have to pay extra unfortunately. It sucks they didn't mention it costs money. Either they meant to mislead you or they were ignorant. Either one of those possibilities are probable.

ffej89

Reaction score
Either they meant to mislead you or they were ignorant. Either one of those possibilities are probable.[/QUOTE]

LOL so true!

wrathletik

Reaction score
what means does the droid x use to enable the mobile hotspot and how does verizon track it??

bc we can tether via bluetooth and also through rooting (i think?), and as far as i know, these 2 methods wont charge extra

titans1

Reaction score
they wont charge extra for now....but when they see your usage they will get ya. dont thik they dont track your data usage.

Freedoom

Reaction score
what means does the droid x use to enable the mobile hotspot and how does verizon track it??

bc we can tether via bluetooth and also through rooting (i think?), and as far as i know, these 2 methods wont charge extra

The App that enables it by default on the phone tracks it and because of the rooting you can install apps that access the firmware ability to create a wifi hot spot.

Humpa

Reaction score
they wont charge extra for now....but when they see your usage they will get ya. dont thik they dont track your data usage.
They will not "turn on" the $20month tethering package because they think you are using it. They will only turn it on if you have them turn it on. Go ahead and try it, it won't work because you haven't turned it on (though mine works for some reason, even though it isn't on My Account). Also, the phone/app doesn't track the usage, Verizon would track the usage.

Using wifi tether by rooting or whatever is going to be just like it has been. Verizon seems to leave us alone. No one has posted about extra charges or threats or cancellations, at least not that I've seen in a while, and I've never seen it with an Android device yet.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root, problem solved. Otherwise you will have to pay extra unfortunately. It sucks they didn't mention it costs money. Either they meant to mislead you or they were ignorant. Either one of those possibilities are probable.

I disagree, you looked over what they were or were not charging you for correct? You made an assumption that it was included, that's on ou.

Long before this came out it was stated everywhere that by using the built in tether hotspot that it had costs from VZ and how to get around it.

Another new post omin online flaming bout something they do not want to take responibility for. Meh.

Pay it or root and get wi fi tether, but I call, this is all you. Your options have now been given on how to proceed.

Last edited: