WIFI tether hotspot a Verizon $$"extra"$$ ???

diemaster

Reaction score
i was driving in my car and had a brilant idea. pulled off the freeway into a parking lot. grabed my laptop and tethered to my droid 2. only to find that the hopspot feture is a extra cost feature of verizon. i thought the whole point of android 2.2 was that it could do it despite your carier. i allready pay 100+ a month for this thing i'm not paying an extra $20 for somting i might use once or twice a month.

is there a hack that i can do to alow me to do this? ...or other app? ...or can i do it if i root my phone?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can also use Wifi Tether and Barnacle Tether if you are rooted...I believe the free PDANet app does not support HTTPS sites, which may not be an issue for you.

OP
D

diemaster

Reaction score
does the paid verson give you HTTPS? i wont buy anyting using seured pages but my work email ison a HTTPS page so i would like to get to that.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes - paid is https supported.

However, you could root and use Wifi Tether or Barnacle for free...

If you only root and don't make any other changes your phone would look and act like a non-rooted phone, but the free tether options would work. There is now a one-click root option for the D2....

Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows and Linux (and soon Mac) - xda-developers

You can also root w/out using a computer - all steps on the Droid2...those instructions are in the ROM or Hacks forum here.

Just another option...in case you were thinking about rooting.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would suggest rooting to use wireless tethering. However, if you're not willing to root, EasyTether Lite is a good app. It allows access to HTTP and HTTPS. If you want Xbox other gaming ports, you have to buy the premium app for about $10.

riskdj23

Reaction score
I have used the Barnacle app and a MacBook OSX (10.5.8) and I get the app running and connected, but web pages do not upload...
What am I doing wrong?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Official tethering = $20/month for Verizon. Of course they were going to charge. It also has a 5GB cap and you pay for every MB over that.

Rooted tethering is free, but you have to root first. Doing so voids your warranty, so it's probably not a good idea.

PDA Net is expensive and it does nothing Easy Tether doesn't do except Bluetooth Dialup Networking. Easy Tether costs about $10 to connect to secure servers after the 2-week trial period is up. It's a one-time cost but the program (only tethers via USB) is very smooth.

The only way to get free WiFi tethering on your Droid of any model is to root.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I love the wifi tethering app its worth rooting to get it, but please do not root unless you understand the risks and understand how to unroot. Any questions see my sig.

Jim_KT

Reaction score
i was driving in my car and had a brilant idea. pulled off the freeway into a parking lot. grabed my laptop and tethered to my droid 2. only to find that the hopspot feture is a extra cost feature of verizon. i thought the whole point of android 2.2 was that it could do it despite your carier. i allready pay 100+ a month for this thing i'm not paying an extra $20 for somting i might use once or twice a month.

is there a hack that i can do to alow me to do this? ...or other app? ...or can i do it if i root my phone?

Like others have stated, try the PDAnet app. It works well, and in theory circumvents the Verizon fee.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
to 'get around' the https block on PDANet and easytether (unpaid versions) you can simply use a proxy like ninjaproxy.com. you can then log on to any site from there since the web addy would be

http://www.ninjaproxy.com/https://www.facebook.com

great for a temporary work around. Kinda gets annoying if you use it as your primary internet, but for what the O.P. needs it for, it would work