Wife's D4 not charging and getting HOT!

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
My wife woke me up this morning to her phone being nearly too hot to pick up. I pulled the rear cover off and it was burning up. It was on the charger all night, but it was still showing only 20% battery. I pulled up the battery stats and found the screenshot below.

I turned the phone off and put it on my Razr's stock charger. It did just fine all the way back to 100%.

Any ideas?

View attachment 56829

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Sounds like she needs a better charger. One that's stronger. Was it the original D4 charger?

I found with my D1 not all plug in chargers are equal. My old one that charged a dumb phone wouldn't charge my D1 all the way.

Did you use the same wall plug or serge protector for both chargers ? That could be an issue too.

dlallen66

Reaction score
Mine did this once. When the phone is plugged in the screen comes on and stays on, if the screen is set to full brightness the phone doesn't charge unless you turn the screen off by locking the phone. My wife was leaving her screen on and constantly complaining about her's not charging until I discovered what she was doing. Hope this helps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First, was she using the stock Motorola power adapter or not? If not, then quite possibly that charger has failed. Althogh dlallen66 has raised a very good point. Still, using other than the power adapter supplied with the phone (or an "approved" adapter - either Motorola's or Verizon's), is not recommended.

Although all MicroUSB connectors will fit any phone which has that port, and even though the standard for MicroUSB Charging dictates that the voltage is 5.0 V, +/- 5% (4.75V - 5.25V), the quality of the power can vary widely from high quality charging adapters manufactured by name brand manufacturers, to cheap generic adapters manufactured by low quality mass production manufacturers - most specifically those in China which are build very cheaply and with very little in the way of power regulation and filtering.

The use of non-approved wall or car adapters can result in power which can fluctuate beyond the specified voltage limits, and power which can be full of ripple, noise, and RF Interference. This "dirty" power can stress the components of the phone's charging circuitry, as well as add stress to the battery. Depending on how badly the power is regulated or how much interference in included in the power, the power can actually damage the phone or battery and such damage can be permanent.

It is mentioned in the user's guide for the phone that if you use a charging adapter other than an "approved" adapter, you may damage the phone and void the warranty. Overheating of the battery will damage it and although the battery may "seem" to be OK if you revert to the stock charging adapter, there may have already been considerable damage done to the battery which can shorten its lifespan considerably.

There are plenty of others out there in the forums who will disagree with my opinion regarding the use of charging adapters manufactured by other than the manufacturer of the phone, mainly because they've used a wide variety and have never experienced problems with them, however why risk it? Duplicate power adapters can be purchased quite cheaply and by staying with the OEM charger adapters you assure yourself that the phone will be receiving the proper voltage and current as recommended...and that it's clean power under all circumstances.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
It was the stock charger, plugged directly into a wall outlet. The same one she's been using since she got the phone. It's fine now, even using the same one after the incident. It seems to have been the app from the screenshot Dragon Story? Whenever she even started the app, a few minutes later the phone would be getting extremely hot. As soon as she would kill it, it would start to cool down. I never use any chargers other than Moto OEM, I'm too paranoid. :biggrin:

She has her settings the same as mine. All automatic brightness, screen lockout at 1min.

All seems to be good now after she stopped using the app and uninstalled.