Phone didn't charge and got REALLY hot

KwlAznKid

Reaction score
i plugged my droid4 in for charge last night before going to bed at 5% batttery left, i woke up this morning and the phone was HOT HOT and battery was at 15% yellow showing the "charging" in progress in the top right corner.

so clearly something happened.. it seems that it did charge for a bit and then stopped? i'm assuming it probably charged til 20% or so then stopped and dropped to 15%.. but i can't explain the phone being so hot either..

i restarted my phone and am charging it at work right now and it all seems fine, it's up to 30% now and phone is not hot.. anyone know what could have happened?! i need to make sure this doesn't happen again since the usage of my phone is very important to me

obogobo

Reaction score
I've noticed my phone has done this a couple of times, I'll leave it plugged in before going to bed and when I wake up there will only be 15, 20% charge and the phone will be incredibly hot. It's like all the power is being wasted to heat and the phone is continually trying to cool down, but so far I haven't been able to figure out what cause this to happen.

Honeysugar

Reaction score
I have been having the exact same problem, and would love to hear any possible causes/solutions.

Heeb.McKraut

Reaction score
I noticed this with my D2 as well. I work in a tire factory, and the temp inside the plant can sometimes hit 120° in the Summer! I have my D4 plugged into my boombox and stream radio through Pandora and TuneIn. When it gets too hot, I have to shut everything down, take off my case, and work with only the rhythm of my machine for noise. The battery will stay at a certain level and then only start charging when I get back in my air conditioned car to go home. I always thought it was draining at the same rate it was charging, due to the intense heat.

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
I've seen this problem posted a lot, it's a common problem. It only happens to my D4 when I'm not using the charging cable that came with the phone, even then it only happened maybe once or twice since I bought the phone when it was released. I have a bunch of other micro usb chargers that I use, a couple that I used with my OG Droid, one that came with my Kindle Fire, and one that came with a portable speaker. In the other threads where this was reported the users seemed to be using other cables also, not ones that came with the phone. I think the real problem has to do with the micro usb port on the phone itself, sometimes the contact points just doesn't line up with the charging cable.