WI-FI connection problems using a Linksys Range Expander

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
Hello guys, this is my first post. I am from Argentina and I recently bought a Motorola Milstone locally. The phone seems to have a problem to get a valid wi-fi connection when I use a Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G ver. 3. Anybody having the same problem? There is no problem for the phone connecting it directly to the access point. I am using DHCP by the way.:mad:

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
I did forget to mention that I am not using security encryption, only MAC address filter, and yes, I included the phone MAC address to the list.

GeLopez

Reaction score
I haven't been able to connect to the the expander either. It will connect just fine to the router.

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
Great, I am not alone. Not that I am happy about that, but at least, It is not a phone or range expander fault, It should be a bug. Hopefully we will find a solution.:motdroidhoriz:

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
A range expander is basically a signal repeater. In this case, regenerates your WI-FI signal and lets other devices access your access point. Similar to a radio repeater.

To set a static IP, you should activate the menu under WI-FI settings, you will see the advanced options there and you will be able to play with your TCP configuration.

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
I tested another Milstone phone and did not work. So, basically it a phone/os/hardware bug?

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
Tried G and mixed and nothing. Tested another access point and did work. It seems that won´t work over a wifi repeater.

nazgoul

Reaction score
I'm also trying to connect my droid to a repeater and it fails (it connects, reconnects and then fails). But I think it's due to my hardware/setup than due to a bug in the android system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why should android have a problem with repeaters when it is just the same signal as the source router just with a different mac address. I could imagine android having a problem when receiving both signals (which is my case).

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
I think It is an Android problem cause my laptop and my Nintendo Wii had no problems using the repeater. Only device not working the the phone. It´s connect, receive the ip address given by the DHCP but don´t have access to the network.:mad:

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
Did try a lot of stuff and nothing. Hope Google fix this bug for the next update. :(

AlanN

Reaction score
Yes my Milestone is the same, I have an Airport base station with two Airport Express as range extenders...phone will only connect to the main base station, not to either of the extenders.

devtig

Reaction score
Same problem with my Motorola Milestone

Same problem with my Motorola Milestone. I have no problem connecting with my Motorola Milestone to my Linksys router WRT54GL (with WPA encryption) when my Linksys expander WRE54G is turned off or when the Expander's signal is weaker the my router's signal.

But, the moment I turn on my Expander AND the wireless signal from it is stronger than the wireless signal of my Router AND I start my wireless connection on my Motorola MileStone, then I cannot connect to the internet with it. With Wifi Analyzer (Version 31) I see my SSID 2 times. When I am closer to my Expander, PhoneInfo (version 5) reports: no internet connection and no internet IP, but it has gotten an network ip from dhcp. Can't browse the internet.

Now, I just walked to my Router. I resetted wireless on my Motorola and now I am connected to the internet, because when I now check with PhoneInfo, I get an internet IP and i can browse the internet.

Now, I walked back to my Expander with my Wifi Analyzer on. I see the signal strengths swap. Now my Expander signal is stronger again, but my internet connection keeps working, because my Motorola stays connected to the Router who's signal is still strong enough. PhoneInfo still reports an internet IP and i can browse the internet.

Now, still sitting close to my Expander, I resetted the Wireless connection on my Motorola. Obtaining IP address... Connected! And, as expected, PhoneInfo reports No Internet IP and I can't browse the internet.

My laptops work perfectly with my expander.

I hope the dev's read this. It's very reproducable.