Why Should I MOTO Droid?

wil318466

Reaction score
The Droid, overclocked and modded is by far the best phone, no question, hands down - to the casual user.

If you are a business user, MAYBE not. Some people love their blackberries.

Droid. No question. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like/use/want the slider keyboard.

-Wil

Slipshod

Reaction score
funny thing is this is my first "good phone". Before this i was on ancient flip phones. So it is kinda of difficult to say what i want never having a good phone for my life till now 19 years. If it helps I am not your average user. I am tech savy if that sounds right. I like electronics. I just have never been in the phones department. biggest department is video games, computers. I feel like if i do get the phone i will take satisfaction in the fact that it is a powerful phone and runs better than the eris like through the menus without lag, faster browser and more support on browser, i love the fact that the screen is hi res and big. Your reply has made me think about these things thanks. Good stuff so far guys.

Amusingly enough, this is my first smartphone as well. I am normally bleeding edge in everything, (you should see my DVR setup - it automatically identifies and skips commercials in the recordings!) but I've held out on phones since none of the ones before the Droid seems worth it. I like to tell people "I've never been less disappointed in a gadget". I find most of them have some sort of undisclosed limitation (no 480i over HDMI on my TV? WTF?), but I haven't had any surprises on the Droid. It's a great phone, and a great pocket-computer.

You can't change the looks (and many think the Eris looks better). You can't change the keyboard (whether you like or don't like it), and you can't change the trackball (Droid doesn't have one). But you also can't change the screen or the CPU, and I'm a practical kind of guy that thinks function is more important than form for a tool I will be using all day, every day. My phone is not a status symbol, it is a tool. I use it as a phone, to organize my life, as a general-purpose computer, and entertain me during the "spaces in between". The Eris does the first two just as well as the Droid, but the Droid was substantially better in the second two (enough that I thought it justified the price difference) so I chose the Droid.

Cheers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since i havent experienced the droid for my self and most likley wont have enough time to fully experience it with someone elses or from a store, i want you experienced users who have played with the phone for months now to give me the experience that will persuade me.
I don't get threads like this. IMO it is always more meaningful if you'd post what you're looking for to allow us to tell you if the Droid suits you or not (i.e. find out if the Droid is a suitable solution for you rather than dig for a problem that the Droid will fix for you). What are you not happy with on the Droid Eris? What are you thinking that would be beneficial on the Droid?

For me, regardless of what I'm shopping for, nothing beats first hand experience. I highly suggest really making the effort to at least spend a little time with a Droid in a Verizon store. There are just many very subjective items that you have to decide upon for yourself.

2.0 is a software update....your processor will NEVER get faster than it is right now, unless you are able to hack and overclock it. Processors are hardware. No phone that I have ever seen has hardware upgrades (aside from installing bigger SD cards).
Think about it this way -- when has upgrading to a newer OS on your PC made it faster? Probably never unless the older OS didn't have native support for your CPU or other hardware.

Last edited:

osyrus42

Reaction score
I get to play with both of these phones on a pretty regular basis. I have a droid and my girlfriend has an eris. She's not as tech savvy, so I help her out setting stuff up on her phone. Everyone has been pretty accurate so far. Both of these phones are great android options. I personally LOVE my droid, but I have to admit there are things about the eris I really like too. Outlook/Exchange syncing is a bit easier on the eris. Sense UI offers some neat stuff that the droid CAN do, Sense just makes it a little more streamlined (although I do wonder sometimes how much quicker the Eris would be w/out it.) Facebook syncing is more complete on the eris. I guess most of the things I like on the Eris are software related, meaning my moto has the potential to do all of them with the right apps installed.

The moto is just damn fast........Apps jump right onto the screen with barely any hesitation. Web pages explode with verizon's 3g (which I find to be just as fast...if not faster for web browsing as my wifi). The screen will make you drool, even makes my iphone friend's drool. I converted my DVD copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and i use it to show off the screen. I swear it's just as crisp and clean and bright as my 1080p TV at home. Easily the best cell phone for media I've ever used.

The keyboard is nice for things like games (especially the NES emu's) Although I find I don't use it for anything but. The on-screen keyboard is pretty awesome.

I guess it boils down to speed and eye-candy. Those are the two MAIN differences. If those things sound like something that matters to you, get a droid. If not? Wait for the 2.0 (or even 2.1) update for the eris. The whole "Google Experience Device" advantage has yet to be seen. So far they are working just as hard on eris updates as they are on droid updates. I'm thinking the GED tag has a lot more to do with the software that comes pre-loaded and how well it works with the phone. Meaning the Droid is loaded with a bunch of pure Google software, where the eris is loaded with Sense UI that takes over some of the things Google does on the Droid.

osyrus42

Reaction score
Oh yeah, this will change when the Eris gets updated, but currently only the Moto has the turn by turn Google Navigation, which is pretty neat. The Eris only does google maps, not turn by turn. For someone who uses their phone as GPS that could be a deal breaker right there.

OP
M

Mozuna01

Reaction score
Since i havent experienced the droid for my self and most likley wont have enough time to fully experience it with someone elses or from a store, i want you experienced users who have played with the phone for months now to give me the experience that will persuade me.
I don't get threads like this. IMO it is always more meaningful if you'd post what you're looking for to allow us to tell you if the Droid suits you or not (i.e. find out if the Droid is a suitable solution for you rather than dig for a problem that the Droid will fix for you). What are you not happy with on the Droid Eris? What are you thinking that would be beneficial on the Droid?

For me, regardless of what I'm shopping for, nothing beats first hand experience. I highly suggest really making the effort to at least spend a little time with a Droid in a Verizon store. There are just many very subjective items that you have to decide upon for yourself.

2.0 is a software update....your processor will NEVER get faster than it is right now, unless you are able to hack and overclock it. Processors are hardware. No phone that I have ever seen has hardware upgrades (aside from installing bigger SD cards).
Think about it this way -- when has upgrading to a newer OS on your PC made it faster? Probably never unless the older OS didn't have native support for your CPU or other hardware.
yea thats true, but people in here have been helping good enough just listing awesome things about the phone. Thats kind of what i wanted to see. Maybe i should go and play with the phone myself.

osyrus42

Reaction score
Think about it this way -- when has upgrading to a newer OS on your PC made it faster? Probably never unless the older OS didn't have native support for your CPU or other hardware.[/QUOTE]

Windows Vista to Windows 7, lol. But your right, that's just because Vista SUCKED, it didn't actually make my PC "faster".

bigthinker

Reaction score
I used the Eris AND the Moto Droid side by side for about 10 days before I made my decision....I kinda liked the Eris for size, shape and feel but it was a little light weight (In Many Ways) compared to the Mother Ship.....You may want to go or stay. I do know that the moment you start using the Mother Ship (MotoDroid) It will feel awkward and a little over the top....Trust me, this feeling does not last more than a couple of days! Moto Droid was my pick....as you can tell....:motdroidvert:

M

Matth3w

Windows Vista to Windows 7, lol. But your right, that's just because Vista SUCKED, it didn't actually make my PC "faster".[/QUOTE]I've been running Vista x64 Ultimate since the day it came out on a custom PC that I built, and have never ONCE had a problem, slowness, or a crash.

modified

Reaction score
I also couldn't decide which to go with, but i ended up going the the Droid.

It's faster.
The screen supports a much higher resolution.

But it doesn't have sense UI, nor does it look as good as the eris, (in my opinion)

OP
M

Mozuna01

Reaction score
Well here I am posting this using my droid so yea, and for the record I liked this phone better as soon as I got my hands on it. I like the feel a lot. The keyboard is as you all said but I think its one of those things you get really good with after a while. I'm get faster as I'm typing this with few errors. I'm really digging it and am glad I got to own both.

cb2000a

Reaction score
Well here I am posting this using my droid so yea, and for the record I liked this phone better as soon as I got my hands on it. I like the feel a lot. The keyboard is as you all said but I think its one of those things you get really good with after a while. I'm get faster as I'm typing this with few errors. I'm really digging it and am glad I got to own both.

Might want to try Swype as well.

flicek88

Reaction score
Okay. I have a few days to decide whether i want to keep my droid eris or upgrade to the moto droid. Those of you who are droid carriers, I want you guys to tell me why i should upgrade from the eris to the droid. Since i havent experienced the droid for my self and most likley wont have enough time to fully experience it with someone elses or from a store, i want you experienced users who have played with the phone for months now to give me the experience that will persuade me. I really would like to upgrade to the droid, but in the end, i dont want to feel like i upgraded for no reason and emptied my wallet when the eris was good enough. I know that the specs are better on the droid, but specs dont always matter if the phone doesnt deliver to the standards that it could based on the specs. With that, id like to see some responses. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

I initially bought the Droid Eris thinking that it would satisfy my desire of a smart phone. I loved the sense UI and widgets but couldn't help but lust over the moto droid's 3.7" screen. Yes, that would be screen envy. A week later I upgraded to the moto droid and haven't looked back until I saw this post. The droid is the better phone in just about every way. It's the little things, like the way the phone vibrates, the sound quality of the speaker and the fit and finish of the phone's metal exterior. Not to mention the relatively HUGE 3.7" screen, everything just seems to be of much higher quality. If you ever hold a moto droid and your Eris at the same time, you'll come to the same immediate conclusion. Moto Droid is all it's cracked up to be and more. :motdroidvert:

deputc26

Reaction score
I'd also like to add to this that community of devs for the moto droid is far more active, you don't see Eris getting overclocked and nexus features ported.