Why is the screen resolution so low on the Pro?

loki993

Reaction score
When comparing the screen resolution of the Driod Pro with the other Driod phones it seems to be significantly lower. Why is this?

Pro: 3.1-in. HGVA (320 x 480)
Driod and Driod 2: 3.7-in.; W/FWVGA (480 x 854)

Why wouldnt they at least give it a screen as good as the Driod, not take a step back.

In addition to that with the worse resolution somehow it manages to get worse battery life as well. I dont get it

Ned

Reaction score
The screen resolution was the only con I could find not to get it. I am hopping that its not too bad with the 3.1 in screen. I will compare it to my D1 tomorrow when it arrives. Its to replace my wifes BB Tour so anything will be an upgrade. If it looks horrible it will be going back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suspect the reason is because 3.1" panels aren't available in 854x480 resolution; and a 3.7" panel would make the device too large. To be fair, this device is set to compete with BlackBerry devices, which also tend to use screens around the same res.

The Droid Pro is a business phone, as opposed to a multimedia handset; so a high res screen likely wasn't as important a consideration.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
The screen resolution was the only con I could find not to get it. I am hopping that its not too bad with the 3.1 in screen. I will compare it to my D1 tomorrow when it arrives. Its to replace my wifes BB Tour so anything will be an upgrade. If it looks horrible it will be going back.

If Im not mistaken its the same resolution as a Tour/Bold.

I guess I understand that its a smaller screen, I mean my Bold doesnt look bad. I guess I was just hoping for an upgrade thats all.

Edit- Actually the Bold/Tour as a little better 360x480

Last edited:
OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I looked at one today, but only very briefly. The screen isnt very good if you ask me. I think they actually kinda dropped the ball on that one. The keyboard is a little smaller than the blackberry and the keys are in a bit different places, but that would probally be gotten used to fairly quickly. I dont think I would get it becasue of the screen though. Id have to look at one again to make a final decision though.

I also looked at the Droid 2 and its got the same crappy, to me at least, Droid keyboard as the Droid so thats a nogo for me as well.

Does the Global have a different keyboard?

I was actually really impressed with the X, I honestly though I would have liked it. I had told myself it was too big, but its not as big as I would have though it was. It sure doesnt look like the brick that the Evo 4G does. The only question with that is can I deal with not having a real keyboard, I think I can but Im not sure. Im so used to my BB keyboard.

fluidj

Reaction score
I looked at one today, but only very briefly. The screen isnt very good if you ask me. I think they actually kinda dropped the ball on that one. The keyboard is a little smaller than the blackberry and the keys are in a bit different places, but that would probally be gotten used to fairly quickly. I dont think I would get it becasue of the screen though. Id have to look at one again to make a final decision though.

I also looked at the Droid 2 and its got the same crappy, to me at least, Droid keyboard as the Droid so thats a nogo for me as well.

Does the Global have a different keyboard?

I was actually really impressed with the X, I honestly though I would have liked it. I had told myself it was too big, but its not as big as I would have though it was. It sure doesnt look like the brick that the Evo 4G does. The only question with that is can I deal with not having a real keyboard, I think I can but Im not sure. Im so used to my BB keyboard.

You shoulda checked out the Fascinate. Don't believe all of the negative info that's being spread about this phone; I personally believe it's at the top of VZW's Android offerings right now. Once you get used to not having a physical keyboard, you'll wonder why you waited so long to convert.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its the screen size. I dont think you could cost effectively manufacture such a small screen with that high a resolution (480x854). The Blackberry Bolds screen resolution is only 480x360.

d160

Reaction score
I got my droid pro two days ago and it's been pretty good so far. The screen resolution doesn't look any different than my do did to me. I have been pleased so far. Battery life doesn't seem as good though. I also miss root!!!

Ned

Reaction score
Hi, Just got the PRO and unpacked it. I added this on my primary line so I had to activate it under my number. It will eventually go to my wife, but since she is not home I get to play with it for a while.

I am coming from a D1 and will use that as my comparison. My wife will be coming from a BB Tour.

The screen resolution is not what I expected compared to my D1. Text is really fuzzy on web sites and even on the notification bar. If this phone was for me it would be going back just because I am so used to my D1 resolution.

Now, since the phone is not for me it may be staying in the house. Since my wife is coming from a Tour the screen size will be an upgrade and the resolution should be about the same. She really wanted a phone that was close the the BB in design, which this is, but with a lot more bells and whistles. I think she will enjoy it. If not, it's going back.

On a side note, I ran a quick Quadrant benchmark and came up with 1646 which is under what my OC D1 gets at 1ghz. This is still a respectable number stock.

brochaos

Reaction score
why is the battery life so bad? i really thought this thing would have a huge battery...

Ned

Reaction score
I was very surprised to find the Pro uses the same exact battery as the D1

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
You shoulda checked out the Fascinate. Don't believe all of the negative info that's being spread about this phone; I personally believe it's at the top of VZW's Android offerings right now. Once you get used to not having a physical keyboard, you'll wonder why you waited so long to convert.

I may when Im in there again.

Thats why the I was looking at the X, I figure why have a keyboard ill never use, just get the bigger phone without one.

I think I would be fine once I got used to it, just the odd wrong letter becasue I cant really feel the keys, but I do that now and I have a real keyboard. Im decently fast on my Bold, but nothing superfast so I dont think it would effect my speed any either. I dont really have a need to be superfast anyway.

I got my droid pro two days ago and it's been pretty good so far. The screen resolution doesn't look any different than my do did to me. I have been pleased so far. Battery life doesn't seem as good though. I also miss root!!!

Im a Droid noob, but you cant root a Pro?