HTC Incredible vs. Motorola Droid vs. Nexus One Debate

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don't have an opinion on which one is better or worse. For me it acts as nothing but a distraction. I want each phone to succeed because their based on the Android Platform, and if the Android Platform as a whole succeeds we all succeed.

big.daddy

Reaction score
while reading everyones comments, i find it interesting that no one has compared the two phones side by side (one isnt out yet) and opinions are already formed about which is better.:r_c:. Im sure most of you are tied into a contract with your droid and the only option would be to purchase at full price, that is no reason to bash the incredible. my personal opinion is that for most of you (who arent attached to the physical keyboard) would select the incredible if it came out at the same time as the droid. I had a droid but sold it to wait for the this phone because i could not get used to the keyboard and hated that it always opened while in my pocket. But, to each his own i guess.

papy72

Reaction score
I H8 5_0 Stangs;415037 [U said:
MEMORY CARD/STORAGE[/U]

Incredible 8GB
Nexus One 4GB
Droid 16GB

Obviously you can go out and buy a 32GB for any of these

Really? From where?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is one of those recurring debates that take place as technology moves from bleeding edge to polished consumer status. I'm old enough to recall similar debates over whether Windows was "better" than DOS, whether the Mac would replace the AppleII, whether Unix really needed a GUI, and even whether MS/DOS even stood a chance with the huge installed base of CP/M.

The Incredible is the first of the next generation of polished Android smartphones for consumers. While the Droid needs a minimum of 20-40 apps added to the base product to unleash its potential, the Incredible can be used by an average consumer out of the box without needing to understand the ins and outs of the Market.

Yes, the Droid can be overclocked to come close to the processing power of the Incredible. But the purpose of the Snapdragon in the Incredible is to avoid that effort and the hassle it may entail. Yes, the functionality of the Sense UI can be duplicated with third party apps on the Droid. But again, for most consumers there's simply no point in such an effort. Yes, the Droid is probably "tougher." And how many million iPhone users want a "tougher" (i.e. heavier) phone?

The point is that the Droid is no threat to the iPhone, especially the forthcoming 4G version. The Incredible is.

R

Romple

I think it's funny people still think Snapdragon is leaps and bounds better than the OMAP3430 in the Droid. It's not. If it's better in any benchmarks it's not by any noticeable amount.

On top of that, there's always a group of people that like to claim how this phone or that phone is some threat to the iPhone. It's not. It never will be. The Droid isn't. The Incredible isn't. A phone's specs do not have much bearing on if a device is a potential "iPhone killer". Most people buying iPhones don't know what ARMv7, Snapdragon, Scorpion, or OMAP3430 is and don't care. They're ahead of the curve if they can actually tell you what a megapixel is.

Further, the Incredible probably won't push the sales that the Droid is. Probably mostly due to the huge marketing push for the Droid. Deciding which device is "better" is a pointless endeavor. There is and never will be an absolute comparison and the decision will always be completely subjective.

Lastly, the fact that we even have threads like this is a great testament to what the Android platform exists for. While "Droid vs iPhone" is a pointless debate, "Android vs iPhone OS" is a great debate. And the fact that we have so many hardware choices for the same software platform (tweaks and customizations aside) is the real story in any of this.

With that said... the Droid's clearly the superior phone. :icon_ banana:

dima1109

Reaction score
Does anyone find it interesting how HTC hasn't been innovating at all over last 2 years? Higher-res screens and faster processors are almost a given, what have they done to really offer us the deal we can't refuse? They haven't made a keyboard Android phone since G1, N1 is a failure, the duo of Motorola phones has almost the same amount of sales as the entire HTC Android lineup. Plus, even the improvements in Sense (questionable in my opinion) can't justify the lack of 2.1 updates. I understand HTC is everyone's favorite smartphone company in the whole wide world, but really, the Incredible is a MyTouch or an Eris with a spec bump, kinda like the 3G -> 3GS transition

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP good post. I think that having the incredible and the nexus as part of the android family will help continue to bring more attention to the android community. I personally prefer the droid for its keyboard. But I can see people who prefer a slim phone, who were turned off from the droid because of its bulkiness, pick up a nexus or the incredible. Know wonder apple is all on HTC. First the G1 which started it all, Now htc is putting out the nexus and now the incredible. Apple need to slow down the google/ android wave.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Does anyone find it interesting how HTC hasn't been innovating at all over last 2 years? Higher-res screens and faster processors are almost a given, what have they done to really offer us the deal we can't refuse? They haven't made a keyboard Android phone since G1, N1 is a failure, the duo of Motorola phones has almost the same amount of sales as the entire HTC Android lineup. Plus, even the improvements in Sense (questionable in my opinion) can't justify the lack of 2.1 updates. I understand HTC is everyone's favorite smartphone company in the whole wide world, but really, the Incredible is a MyTouch or an Eris with a spec bump, kinda like the 3G -> 3GS transition

Really? Me thinks you need to lay off the sauce. :icon_eek: The Incredible is a huge jump in performance and technology. Not to mention the EVO 4G and the Scorpion based devices that are in the works.

dboss007

Reaction score
Just saw this posted on Android Central. Now if the Galaxy comes to Verizon, wow...I'd be thinking long and hard about that phone. That screen is just gorgeous and with the stepped up processor...That thing HUMS!!

Samsung Galaxy

Darkseider

Reaction score
"They're ahead of the curve if they can actually tell you what a megapixel is."

:rofl3:

dima1109

Reaction score
Really? Me thinks you need to lay off the sauce. :icon_eek: The Incredible is a huge jump in performance and technology. Not to mention the EVO 4G and the Scorpion based devices that are in the works.
Be nice :) I never said Incredible is an Eris with a new case and denser screen. The performance is better, true, but that is expected (Moore's law, whatever). The reason Droid was such a success was because it took what existed (Android OS) and together with the obligatory spec bump, it added a keyboard (a software upgrade can be accomplished without altering the device, so it really didn't add anything by itself in that department). The reason there is sort of a "meh" attitude towards first the N1 and now the newer HTC phones is that they really don't add anything new and exciting for a non-geek.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Be nice :) I never said Incredible is an Eris with a new case and denser screen. The performance is better, true, but that is expected (Moore's law, whatever). The reason Droid was such a success was because it took what existed (Android OS) and together with the obligatory spec bump, it added a keyboard (a software upgrade can be accomplished without altering the device, so it really didn't add anything by itself in that department). The reason there is sort of a "meh" attitude towards first the N1 and now the newer HTC phones is that they really don't add anything new and exciting for a non-geek.

Asking me to be nice and calling me a geek! I resemble that! :icon_ banana: :)

Anyway. You can't really expect anything WOW'ing just yet. The Incredible is definitely a step in the right direction just not super. As for new and exciting for non-geek I beg to differ. You throw a feature phone user or an iPhone user in front of a Moto-Blur or Sense UI device with a nice display and they get all happy in the pants. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have heard something similar to this, "This is awesome", "It REALLY does do that?", "Can I get this on AT&T?", "I wish my :insert phone here: did this". It's amazing how fast people warm up to these things when they have been using the same old same old for so long.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes, but there comes a time when a company needs to hold off on innovation, and refine the product it already has. After you have done that, then you can focus again at innovating. Iphone OS has been the basically the same, with refinements here and there.

You also have to consider, that most of the innovation will be going on behind the scenes. If the old ipone kept getting all the new innovations they worked on, then we would look at any new release of the iphone with a "meh......been there done that", "My phone already does that" Attitude.

Just using the iphone as an example. Goes for Android, HTC, Samsung, Moto.......etc, to. :)

iPirate

Reaction score