Why I Wear a Smartwatch

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This morning I needed a calculator. Realized I'd left my watch at home. Oh well I'll just use the old method of pulling out my phone and using it. Screen froze. It unfroze by going dark and froze dark. I've got 3 other trucks right behind this one and it ain't even 730 so I was a bit flustered to say the least. As the phone was rebooting, after I forced it to, I got a pencil and did the math on the forklift body by headlight.
The rest of the day I kept forgetting I'd left it at home every time I wanted to check the time, check my email, use the calculator again, check my watch when I got a text or phone call.
Using my phone today for menial tasks was so droll on top of having to unbuckle my seatbelt every time I used the phone because I keep it in a side holster so it doesn't go flying when I hit bumps and stuff.
My smartwatch helps me with the "time is money" attitude of no wasted time and be as efficient as possible, even if efficient isn't the fastest (if you don't have time to do it right you sure don't have time to do it over) at work.
Anybody else find life without their smartwatch is different , be it work or home?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Totes.
Even just for the time.

I've said this elsewhere, but let me repeat it.
I used to be a watch guy. With the rise of cellphones, I stopped. Why do I need to wear a watch when I have the time on my phone? Stopped wearing watches. Fast forward to my 1st smartwatch and it hit me one day:
To check the time on my phone I have to fish it out of my pocket and wake it up. I just timed it. That takes 3 seconds. Turning my wrist and glancing at it takes an 'unmeasurable' amount of time. A 5th of one second?
That's a lot of saved seconds over the 2 1/2 years I've had a watch again. :D

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good article / thread Mark.
You could add that you like gadgets to it too...

I'd be inclined to have one as well if I didn't thrash watches...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
For me it was an obvious choice. I have always worn a watch, my whole adult life. It was practically mandatory in the first job I had for 20+ years. Continued to wear one after the transition to a new job. I like gadgets and smart phones, like many others here. I didn't buy one right away because they were too expensive for what they did, in my opinion. Then the LG G Watch went on sale for $99 in December of 2014. I figured "why not" and picked one up. I was hooked right away. If im going to wear a watch anyway, it might as well be a smart watch. For me, it's the quick ability to see my notifications and decide which ones to swipe away and which ones I need to grab my phone and respond. That's why I still wear a smart watch. There are other things I like (change watch faces any time I want, etc.), but the quick notification system is the main reason for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good article / thread Mark.
You could add that you like gadgets to it too...

I'd be inclined to have one as well if I didn't thrash watches...

I stopped wearing watches decades ago because I'd destroy them in weeks at most. If you saw my Gear S or Gear Fit you'd see that trend hasn't changed, only the "watches" are more durable now.
It wasn't because of gadgets but a fat a$$ that I wanted to use my geekdom to lose that I got my first one. Their capabilities and my incessant desire to not settle for just good enough that caused me to use them the way I do.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My two main reasons haven't changed since the day I installed the Find My Phone app.
- If I get out of range of my phone the watch vibrates and asks me if I'm forgetting it. This has helped a few times.
- Paging the phone from the watch to find it. I use this all the time.
Although I can no longer speak to the watch to find my phone since Google installed their own bloatware app.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying I'll never get one, just need to feel as if I'll continue to wear it after a couple weeks...

Also because my phone is my office for a majority of the day, it's never further than my mouse if I'm at my site laptop, or back pocket while walking the site...
Thus the time is always close or in my hand, and I don't need to look at my wrist...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I stopped wearing watches decades ago because I'd destroy them in weeks at most. If you saw my Gear S or Gear Fit you'd see that trend hasn't changed, only the "watches" are more durable now.

Pretty sure no one in this forum is harder on their watch then I am.

Thus the time is always close or in my hand, and I don't need to look at my wrist...
It's still, no question, quicker. Think of all those seconds saved!!! :D

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure no one in this forum is harder on their watch then I am.

It's still, no question, quicker. Think of all those seconds saved!!! :D
A regular watch would've been destroyed years ago on my wrist but this is all that my S has to show for the beatings it takes daily
3b60a43bbd25c9718776196166727152.jpg

Band used to be black. Now it's more of a charcoal gray along the bottom of my wrist
28b3b3ecf75d50b5632edbaa01303a0c.jpg

2 seconds per check x 365 days a year is a lotta time saved and at work time is money.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's cute. Wait til I get back to a computer.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's cute. Wait til I get back to a computer.

Looking forward to seeing the beatings these things can take!

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto 360 Gen 2 Short Review

That's where I posted a picture of the glass.
Still looking for the band pic (which makes yours look 'cute' because it's RIDICULOUSLY bad).
My screen looks a lot worse than the photo shows due to reflective glare. I'm not usually bad on bands, thus the fading and scratches only, but every watch I've ever owned in the past got their crystals smashed at some point. Scratches and gouges were within hours of wearing for the first time and the S took almost a year before its first screen scratch and my Gear Fit1, though the sides are pretty beaten up, is still scratch free on its face.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A regular watch would've been destroyed years ago on my wrist but this is all that my S has to show for the beatings it takes daily
3b60a43bbd25c9718776196166727152.jpg

Band used to be black. Now it's more of a charcoal gray along the bottom of my wrist
28b3b3ecf75d50b5632edbaa01303a0c.jpg

2 seconds per check x 365 days a year is a lotta time saved and at work time is money.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Looks like a cell phone strapped to your wrist! (no offense) LOL

S5 tap'n

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cell phone strapped to your wrist! (no offense) LOL

S5 tap'n
I take that as exactly what it is and that's why I ended up liking it so much. Tapatalk, shopping Amazon, and S Pen features are all I ever use my phone for anymore.
Weather, pda stuff, phone calls, texts, gmail, etc are easily handled by the watch.
When my battery was going stupid and would literally power down at 30% because of a "dead battery" the watch was invaluable. My youngest got sick one night, the wife left her phone at home because we had mine to let my older daughter know we were at the Patient First when my phone went stupid. Turns out the older daughter was freaking (she's pregnant so....) that she came home from work, saw my wife's phone and I wasn't answering mine, thought I had been in an accident or something bad like that and texting her to let her know all was ok made it well worth the monthly data plan fee. Power up the Jabra Motion and my wife talked to her from my watch also.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><