Why do iPhone apps look so much better?

kristoff125

Reaction score
But yea, as someone else said, apple scrutinizes and denies lots of apps, google just about lets anything go through, including a ton of horrible apps that don't really work.

M Diddy

Reaction score
but we can overclock our droid to 1.1ghz, iphone can't, therefore we can, once they are developed, run better apps more smoothly.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the question at hand. The Devs do not take overclocked phones into consideration when designing apps you ****....

Edit: Let's Play Nice....

I'm sorry "Diddy" but I didn't realize that "Once they are developed" apps will not run more smoothly on an overclocked phone vs on a 550 mhz...Oh wait, they will, by default ,regardless of the app. A faster processor will run an app more quickly, they might not take overclocked phones into consideration, but the N1 is clocked at 1Ghz, and overclocking a droid to 1.1 means it can run the same ****ing apps asshole, so get off my dick.

Really? No ****! I would have never known....

Again though,WTF does this have to do with the apps "looking" better on the iPhone compared to Android?

Not a damn thing. Don't try an post information for people to use and base decisions off of unless it's relevant.

Q

qoncept

Two words: Space Physics.

One level is built into the APK, 40 levels in a free download pack from the market install to the SD card.

Major corporate devs who have been building to a monolithic storage model need to look at what Camel Games are doing.
Google needs to look at what Apple and Palm are doing. There are a number of things that make development on Android more complex than the others (and, to businesses, complex = time = money). The end result is less developers.

moot

Reaction score
Yeah, the issues brought up by OP and people in this thread bother me as well. Sometimes the UI is so cumbersome and unintuitive.

There are still days I wish I had my iPhone back. But I love my droid. Both OS and phones have their ups and downs. Not really sure who I will buy from in 2 years time.

ska8r411

Reaction score
I think its that people either 1.Dont take the Android Market as seriously as the Iphone App Store or 2. Dont put as much time into their apps.

THINK about it. The iphone app store has HUUGE requirements that must be met. The Android Market? NONE

cideas

Reaction score
Lets be honest, Apply has always been the "pretty" company. Weather its Iphone,IPad or MacOSX they strong enforce a set of guidelines for their applications . Now google does the same but no one is standing around checking. They due have a list of guidelines for mobile development which does help some times. But lets face the real facts, If you look at the sdk of both platforms you will notice that the stock UI components are by default "prettier" on IPhone where with android they are basic.
In my opinion there are 2 reason for this:

1) To give normal/new developers a quick way to get their work out there with basic styling , but allowing the developer to choose to spend the extra time to develop "prettier" components if they wanted to. Being a developer myself its a pain in the ass to customize complex components ( designs/style already implemented)

2) To help lower the memory/performance issues to a min. Now you may be asking why, IPhone is written naively in C (C like variant) which is highly optimize in comparison to what Android uses which is the Java runtime. With both you have your benefits and google as chosen to go with Java for their own reason ( but given use the choice to work with C if we needed to ).

In all its a combination of what developers have to work with by default and the time and effort that is needed to style a component. I would take functionality over "prettyness" any day of the week, I guess thats why I have removed every "vista" component from my pc for the pass 7 years by running an different shell lol

kristoff125

Reaction score
cideas...I've found the Federalist Papers easier to read than your unproofed mess. Developers have all the time in the world to upgrade their apps, hence the constant updates / overhauls. I'm not quite sure what you meant by 2...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two things:

One, is simply development time, as more and more dev's turn to Android, it will get better.

Two, is control. If apple doesnt like the look, it isnt seen on their market. This is where open source becomes a detriment, anyone can put an app up.

It doesn't have to be pretty, but get the job done. Most will dev an app to work, then go back and work on the look.

Moving forward though, I see Android going places that I want to be. Thank G-D it isn't a Toyota... (Moving forward .... because we can't stop) :icon_ devil:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can browse on a PC at Androlib.com. The QR code is there to initiate a download so that you don't have to search for it a second time on your phone. I do a lot of reviewing of the APP's on my PC, and then decide what I may want to try.
The only reason I use Androlib at all is because there is absolutely no other option.

try this AndroidZoom.com - Browse the Android Market and download all available applications and games i find it MUCH better than androlib :D

cideas

Reaction score
cideas...I've found the Federalist Papers easier to read than your unproofed mess. Developers have all the time in the world to upgrade their apps, hence the constant updates / overhauls. I'm not quite sure what you meant by 2...

And I bet you want it to still remain free,?? Are you a developer? Have you ever tried developing a mobile application?

Most android users will cry at they hate ads but don't want to pay for an application. So I would think that most developers wouldn't even think to spend their free time to make the UI pretty for some users, Note this is for independent developers where companies should have NO excuse as they have designers on board. One last thing... Developer , from experiences, have never been good at both developing and design. In my 7 years of professional experiences I have only seen a few cases where a single person could do both ( Keep in mind that Apple already has pretty UI Components for their applications by default). You either have a great application with ok graphics or a great graphics with crappy functionality and bugs.

As for my second reason, If your not familar with Java then I think you should look it up a bit if you want a full understanding. But in short Java is an abstracting layer that allows quick deployment onto various platforms ( yes C does well) But with Java it tries to remove any dependence a module/library that may be need. Along with this with any "layer" that is attached on top of an application it slows down normal processes. Java has been known to be a bit bloated at times even on desktop applications. So when I mention the possibility to wanting to limit the memory/speed performance I was stating that to make UI Components more enduser friendly over an already bloated framework is just asking for problem imo.

Also note most games out there or rich applications are mostly created in the Native C libraries that google provides for developers, there are some exceptions to this rule.

Anyway hope this helps to clear up any confusion

kristoff125

Reaction score
You said they should let devs make it in a short amount of time, or give them more time, google doesn't give a **** how long it takes someone to develop an app. They even let apps that don't work on the market, that's why iPhone apps look better, because they don't care what goes on, how it looks, or if it works.

kenkamm

Reaction score

And I bet you want it to still remain free,?? Are you a developer? Have you ever tried developing a mobile application?

Most android users will cry at they hate ads but don't want to pay for an application. So I would think that most developers wouldn't even think to spend their free time to make the UI pretty for some users, Note this is for independent developers where companies should have NO excuse as they have designers on board. One last thing... Developer , from experiences, have never been good at both developing and design. In my 7 years of professional experiences I have only seen a few cases where a single person could do both ( Keep in mind that Apple already has pretty UI Components for their applications by default). You either have a great application with ok graphics or a great graphics with crappy functionality and bugs.

As for my second reason, If your not familar with Java then I think you should look it up a bit if you want a full understanding. But in short Java is an abstracting layer that allows quick deployment onto various platforms ( yes C does well) But with Java it tries to remove any dependence a module/library that may be need. Along with this with any "layer" that is attached on top of an application it slows down normal processes. Java has been known to be a bit bloated at times even on desktop applications. So when I mention the possibility to wanting to limit the memory/speed performance I was stating that to make UI Components more enduser friendly over an already bloated framework is just asking for problem imo.

Also note most games out there or rich applications are mostly created in the Native C libraries that google provides for developers, there are some exceptions to this rule.

So if I understand this correctly, Apple helps their developers by offering default UI graphics that can be used to make their apps look nice and maintain the look and feel of iPhone and iPod Touch apps.

It also sounds like writing code for Android is inherently more difficult than for the Apple devices?

I also read somewhere that it's more difficult for the Android dev because they have to try to make apps that work for 10 different phones, all with different specs and screen resolutions?

Add to that the fact that once your app is developed, it has to go to the Android Marketplace, which, IMO, is a horrid offering compared to Apple's effort. I know the iPhone got a head start, but wow... it doesn't seem like google is making much of an effort to provide either 1) An online Marketplace that doesn't suck, or 2) Something like (GASP) iTunes, which provides one-stop-shopping for syncing, app shopping, etc. They are more interested in spending their time developing google goggles, which is just... laughable.

kristoff125

Reaction score

So if I understand this correctly, Apple helps their developers by offering default UI graphics that can be used to make their apps look nice and maintain the look and feel of iPhone and iPod Touch apps.

It also sounds like writing code for Android is inherently more difficult than for the Apple devices?

I also read somewhere that it's more difficult for the Android dev because they have to try to make apps that work for 10 different phones, all with different specs and screen resolutions?

Add to that the fact that once your app is developed, it has to go to the Android Marketplace, which, IMO, is a horrid offering compared to Apple's effort. I know the iPhone got a head start, but wow... it doesn't seem like google is making much of an effort to provide either 1) An online Marketplace that doesn't suck, or 2) Something like (GASP) iTunes, which provides one-stop-shopping for syncing, app shopping, etc. They are more interested in spending their time developing google goggles, which is just... laughable.

Not sure if you've heard of Mikandi, but you can get more than one app store, just look online, they all have the QR codes so you can get it right off the marketplace, but the sites manage their listings, so not every ****ty app gets on. Although I'm not sure an app store other than Mikandi is available, other than the stock one, but it easily could be done.

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Doesn't it partly have to do with the iPhone UI just being overall prettier? Like their default button looks and layouts all kinda look similar throughout the apps, now I have no experience in app development, but this just makes sense to me.