Why do iPhone apps look so much better?

mkarolian

Reaction score
I love android and all it stands for, but I have noticed that the apps tend to be uglier than their iPhone counterparts. Take FourSquare for example, the iPhone application is really gorgeous while the Android version is much more bland.

Are these simply design choices by developers, or is there something inherent in the OS that prevents visual improvements?

jodyberry

Reaction score
I agree! I love my Droid but the iPhone apps just look "cleaner".

OP
M

mkarolian

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately, its because limitations of the OS

Can you explain what those limitations are? I remember reading that Android Applications were written in Java while iPhone was (objective?) C?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, from what I've read, you know how iPhone's come in 8, 16, or 32, gigabyte memory storages? Well, it can utilize ANY and ALL of that space for ANYTHING. Including apps. The Droid comes with a 16 GB sdcard, but cannot use ANY of it to run apps...it only 256MB worth of RAM to run apps off of....

Yeah I know, pretty crappy huh? But I also read that Google is working on allowing "apps to sdcard" storage in the future...

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Aaxually, the droid and Iphone have almost the same specs for system memory and processing power:

Droid: 550 MHz CPU, 256 Mb Ram
Iphone 3GS: 600 MHz CPU, 256 Mb Ram

Quality apps take time to develop and the beautiful ones (Need for speed Undercover) are developed by major companies with pre-existing graphics engines. Just wait til EA and some large companies recognize the market, which is around 7% right now from 2% back in september before the launch of the Droid.

These are some of the best so far:[video=youtube;slBCLJmW7do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBCLJmW7do"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBCLJmW7do[/video]

I like this one:

speedforge.png

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aaxually, the droid and Iphone have almost the same specs for system memory and processing power:

Droid: 550 MHz CPU, 256 Mb Ram
Iphone 3GS: 600 MHz CPU, 256 Mb Ram

Quality apps take time to develop and the beautiful ones (Need for speed Undercover) are developed by major companies with pre-existing graphics engines. Just wait til EA and some large companies recognize the market, which is around 7% right now from 2% back in september before the launch of the Droid.

These are some of the best so far:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBCLJmW7do

I like this one:

speedforge.png

Yeah but the Droid can only have as many apps as 256MB will allow it...whereas the iPhone can have as many as 8, 16, or 32GB will allow it to hold...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1kWmhn9n108]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWmhn9n108[/video]

droid is getting there

droid d'oh

Reaction score
ExZeus likes to get around this by installing the levels to the SD card, It's a 70 MB Program and the actual file installed on the 256 is only 44 kB. Hopefully google will get around this limitation soon, It's only meant to stop piracy.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Companies have had three years to create iPhone apps and have a huge install base as incentive. Android really only took off with the introduction of the Droid. Now with the Droid, N1, etc we should start seeing more app development.

BzB

Reaction score
Well, from what I've read, you know how iPhone's come in 8, 16, or 32, gigabyte memory storages? Well, it can utilize ANY and ALL of that space for ANYTHING. Including apps. The Droid comes with a 16 GB sdcard, but cannot use ANY of it to run apps...it only 256MB worth of RAM to run apps off of....

Yeah I know, pretty crappy huh? But I also read that Google is working on allowing "apps to sdcard" storage in the future...

the space allocation for apps has nothing to do with the visual appearance of the app on the phone. the ui of an app is the choice of the dev. if they take time to put a nice wrapper on the application then it looks nice on the phone.

iphone devs have had much more time to make their apps visually appealing. some android devs are just trying to be first to the market, not really investing the same time and effort to make their apps visually appealing.

the space issue does limit the size and number of application you can install, but does not impact the look of those apps.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Actually your quote is alittle off. Yes it only has 256MB for app storage, but seeing as developers can write it to where the data is stored on the SD card, and not in the 256MB space, the limitations aren't really there. I have a number of games where the bulk of the data files are stored on the SD card and not the allocated memory block. The Apps2SD is actually a different thing all together. That is where the app just resides all in one place. While this would be nice and easier for developers of bigger games, it doesn't limit the droid in too many ways. The only thing that needs to be located on the allocated memory block is the code that calls for the data files, which can be very small. That is how games like, doom are played.

Q

qoncept

This thread is overflowing with bad information. Why do people that don't have a clue insist on answering questions?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually your quote is alittle off. Yes it only has 256MB for app storage, but seeing as developers can write it to where the data is stored on the SD card, and not in the 256MB space, the limitations aren't really there. I have a number of games where the bulk of the data files are stored on the SD card and not the allocated memory block. The Apps2SD is actually a different thing all together. That is where the app just resides all in one place. While this would be nice and easier for developers of bigger games, it doesn't limit the droid in too many ways. The only thing that needs to be located on the allocated memory block is the code that calls for the data files, which can be very small. That is how games like, doom are played.

I stand corrected!

I'm sorry guys....I always misunderstood that whole concept then....cause I always thought that the storage of the apps effected the performance as well, like if there a lot then it wouldn't look as good, but if there was an ample amount of room they would run better...

And I know that parts of the apps are on my sdcard and that you can install them from there too, but I guess I never thought about that anymore than what I did.....

But my bad everyone, I didn't mean to give out wrong/false information...... you know I wouldn't do it on purpose

DISREGARD :)