Why do I have all these apps running?

jtpryan

Reaction score
If I go into my advanced task killer I find a fairly large number of apps running that I have not been using (eg. Skype). I mean, if I leave the phone just sitting, after awhile I can go to it and find as many as 10 app running in the background. These aren't processes that are supporting other things so I don't know how/why they start.

Is there a way to control this?

-Jim

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I go into my advanced task killer I find a fairly large number of apps running that I have not been using (eg. Skype). I mean, if I leave the phone just sitting, after awhile I can go to it and find as many as 10 app running in the background. These aren't processes that are supporting other things so I don't know how/why they start.

Is there a way to control this?

-Jim

You need to check settings in each of those apps. A lot of my news apps, for example, are set to periodically refresh/update. I turned that off on the ones I use infrequently.

My guess on Skype is it's polling to check for voicemail/messages, and you should be able to override that to manual.

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
I did. Nothing pertaining to what I'm asking came up.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threads on this. Mostly task killer threads. It's discussed beyond death on every Android forum site. In short, you don't need to do anything unless you're actually having issues. Android isn't like other mobile OS's.

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
OK, so my phone has been sitting idle next to me after killing all the apps. It has been about 30 min. I opened task killer and what I have is:

Voice search
gmail
corporate calendar
alarm clock
messaging
wheres my droid
gps tracker
smrtguard
google voize
qwiklist
androsms
togglewifi

The messaging apps I understand as I did get one text message. But all the others?

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
Thank you. I realize exactly what Android is. However, this doesn't explain the need for many of these process to be running unless I use them. I can see something like the calendar periodically checking in but I don't see why it needs to remain running.

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK I am in sledge hammer mode...

REMOVE THE TASK KILLER!!! ATK BAD! BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!! AHHH!!!

/end rant

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
I know what you mean, but I am looking at this more from an educational standpoint then a complaint. But, without a task killer you will eventually overcome the capabilities of the device as everything you launch never closes, or am I not correct in that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, but I am looking at this more from an educational standpoint then a complaint. But, without a task killer you will eventually overcome the capabilities of the device as everything you launch never closes, or am I not correct in that.

Your incorrect. As Droid needs available memory it closes apps that are not in use.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

not exactly.. stuff "running" in the background isn't actually doing anything or really using any resources.. see the link backnblack posted

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
As noted frequently in these threads, there is a confusion between an app "occupying memory" and "running." For those interested in determining what is actually running, what is sitting in the background, and what is inactive (usually an app that ceased running recently), a good app is "System Panel."

It will distinguish among these different states and show you in real time what is actually "running."

And for those bound and determined to kill tasks, System Panel supports it.