Why can't this phone charge on a universal charger?

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Anyone else experience that this phone is not able to charge with a universal charger? (the chargers that come with all phones for years with the micro port?) I have to charge it with the charger that came with the phone or it won't charge.

I was so happy when they had FINALLY come out with universal chargers so you don't have to throw them out and the whole family could use anybody's charger. Now I'm back to square one with this phone. Anyone know why?

t1.8matt

Reaction score
I was shipped I guess Verizon's black and green universal charger when they sent me my X2, I was having tons of problems with the screen not responding and my computer not being able to recognize my phone. I switched to my OEM Motorola charger that came with my Droid 2 and problem solved. Don't know what it is with those chargers, but they should not be sold if they don't work with the phones they're available for.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Nyobie

Reaction score
Take a look at the back of the charger that came with the phone and make note of the voltage and current ratings. The phone will charge best when the ratings are matched. At times, the universal charger outputs a current rating that's too low since they're made for lower power devices like a bluetooth earpiece.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
I was shipped I guess Verizon's black and green universal charger when they sent me my X2, I was having tons of problems with the screen not responding and my computer not being able to recognize my phone. I switched to my OEM Motorola charger that came with my Droid 2 and problem solved. Don't know what it is with those chargers, but they should not be sold if they don't work with the phones they're available for.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Yeah the cheap cable have a shorted pin ie grounding issues making screen not respond or computer to recognize either

Sent From My Sexy Nexy

nbucko

Reaction score
Got the same problem here. Can't use the one that came with my og or my wife's env3. The only ones that work are the one that came with the nexus and my wife's stratosphere. I did buy a universal car charger that works though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used every charger from every phone I've owned with no problem.

These work perfectly - For only $1.03 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

I bought them with this For only $1.75 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000mA) - Black | Power to USB Converters but they have been out of stock for some time...Amazon has them for more money but just a few...Amazon.com: High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000mA) - Black: Electronics

Looks like the plugs may be discontinued. Need to find a place that has them.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm using the universal from my DX on my GN. It is a micro dual usb charger with generic usb cord.

abausch

Reaction score
I'm using my OG charger at work every day and it's fine. The car charger is a different story...

iclickjohn

Reaction score
One thing that might be the problem. I don't think they charge while the screen is on and being used. I thought it was weird the first day I used it. After a few hours of being plugged in, it had the same battery level as when I plugged it in. So I ran across a thread that stated this. But it did get better after a few cycles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

msheldon

Reaction score
Mine works fine with my OG charger, a charger from a Moto bluetooth headset and a generic car charger. Only one it won't work with is a charger from an LG bluetooth headset.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
universal car chargers work.

I have a scosche dual usb car charger and it charged my phone, but in usb mode.

tacticalfats

Reaction score
I use an assortment of chargers and cords--- cheapie verizon car chargers, blackberry home and car chargers, usb cords, etc...