issue with charging

mrmark27

Reaction score
So far loving my nexus, however i'm having a weird issue with charging. when i charge with the samsung charge that came with the phone, everything is fine and dandy, however i'm having trouble charging with my other usb chargers that i have lying around(the one for my droid, one for my nook, one for my touchpad, and a few others). When i plug the charger into the phone, into the phone, and the phone is on, it wont charge. I need to turn my phone off in order to charge it up, which is a major issue.

Since the phone is charging with these chargers when its off, I dont think the issue is with the charger itself but rather with the phone. Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue or am I special?

pilot25

Reaction score
Some usb chargers are rated at a lower amp than others. For example, a USB charger rated at 1 amp isn't going to charge the ipad because the ipad requires at least a 2 amp charger. Unfortunately, most of the cheap chargers don't advertise the amperage of their chargers. Find out the amperage of your chargers and I bet that is the problem.

dan5jr

Reaction score
Having the same issue, sort of. Got the phone a little less than a week ago and there was no problem using any of my 3 older chargers either plugged into the wall or in USB mode. Well two nights ago I left the charger at a friends house and yesterday after charging it on one of my older ones (that I've been using every night) I noticed in the morning it had not charged at all. Now I can only get it to charge with the power off although I still don't have the samsung charger. I'm going to pick that up today before I try anything else to try to narrow down this issue.

Some usb chargers are rated at a lower amp than others. For example, a USB charger rated at 1 amp isn't going to charge the ipad because the ipad requires at least a 2 amp charger. Unfortunately, most of the cheap chargers don't advertise the amperage of their chargers. Find out the amperage of your chargers and I bet that is the problem.

Okay I agree that all chargers are rated differently and charge at different rates, but regardless it should at least be charging my phone even if I'm draining the battery at a faster rate than it can keep up with. Even if it's only meant to be charged with the Samsung cord, I should at least be able to recognize the phone on a computer using another USB cable.

Any thoughts on this because I'm drawing a blank. Because it still charges with other cords when the phone is powered off, I have to believe this is a SW issue. I will do a factory wipe later today, but I want to retrieve my Samsung cord first. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but there doesn't seem to be a definitive cause/solution yet. Any help is appreciated.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I use the charger it came with to charge during the day at home, the one that came with my droid x over night, and a regular micro usb cable at work. They all charge just fine.