multi-tipped car charger

Orionalias

Reaction score
so i have a droid incredible and a stand alone gps unit. as we all know, the Dinc has a micro usb charging port, while my gps uses a mini usb charging port. i've been looking around for car chargers that can accommodate both ends for simplicity's sake. what do you guys think of this one...?

Universal USB Charger Kit With 6 Phone Connectors - Huawei M735

my main concern is the 5 VDC output...that seems low. any technical experts here able to tell me if i should get a charger with more output that can suffice for both the Dinc and a gps unit?

i've seen a few chargers that come with several tip heads, so this isn't my only option...

anyone have any recommendations for other products?

EDIT: figured i'd add in the other chargers i was looking at. i'm having trouble finding output info on these. anyone willing to vote one over the others?

Buy Universal Car Charger, to charge up all your Devices w/ 7 connectors

Get the power of variety and never worry about not being able to recharge a random phone. Low on power? Recharge with the Universal Retractable Car Charger from AccessoryGeeks.com!

OP
O

Orionalias

Reaction score
I was just told by a best buy employee that a charger putting out only 5V would not power the gps unit, which requires 12V. Thoughts?

wheelguner

Reaction score
USB is standardized at 5v

Some devices require a slightly higher amp rating but all USB devices operate at the device standard of 5v. While in the car I have never needed power/charge more than 2 devices and I use a Griffin Dual Charger that is rated at 1 full amp output. I don't use a separate GPS devise but I do use a Bluetooth GPS Receiver paired with my Incredible for navigation and this charger powers both. I like the increased accuracy that my Bluetooth GPS offers. I think that if you check the specs printed on the charger that came with your GPS you will find that its output is 5v. Unless your GPS is designed to plug directly into the power outlet/lighter receptacle in your car and in that case it does require 12v input.
At the risk of POing the Best Buy Folks l am have not been overly impressed with the few I've dealt with having been given wrong information on multiple occasions.

OP
O

Orionalias

Reaction score
Hey wheelguner thanks for the info. I've winced checked my gps original charger...it is set for 12v and does plug directly into the car lighter receptacle. No worries though, I've found a car charger that charges both correctly.