Why are phones not coming out with the latest OS version pre-installed?

km75

Reaction score
Im just curious as to why so many of these new phones aren't coming out aren't coming with the newest technology available right out of the box. Gingerbread, 4g lte (Verizon customer here) etc. Yes I know I can always root my phone but I don't think I should have to. I for one will not buy a new phone unless it has the latest OS version. I mean c'mon the thunderbolt comes compatible with 4g lte but it operates on froyo. Just makes no sense to me. Especially with the way official software updates are pushed out these days. Still waiting on GB for my d2. I mean really how many people would buy a new pc that doesnt come with the latest software pre-installed? Anyway here's hoping that the d3 comes with 4g compatibility, GB (or whatever the current OS version is at the time), front facing camera, dual/quad core processor amongst other things. If not I guess I will keep my d2 and root it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just the way it goes man. And you might as well cross the D3 off your list. From EVERYTHING I read it is NOT 4g.....and I for one don't care. The dual core alone has me switching the moment it drops.....not to mention 5 row keyboard with dedicated numbers, more RAM, better cam, 4 inch screen, and so on.

and you would be surprised how many buy computers like that. Think of how many poor souls out there only have some lame home version of Windows 7....seriously? Do you know what all you are missing without having Ultimate? Ultimate blows home out of the water in a heartbeat....even home premium.

Anyway.....that's just how it goes....phones come out all the time and OS updates are on like a 6 month average or something.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Forgot all about the rumored 4 inch screen. Seems like the perfect screen size for me. That and the 5 row keyboard are what im looking forward to. I just don't want to buy something that's already outdated software-wise. Especially when I will be on a two-year contract. But you're right. I guess I might have to start considering buying phones at the non-contract price. Surprised at the fact you couldn't care less about the 4g compatibilities though. Makes a big difference speed wise. But I definitely understand the logic behind you're statements. Technology is always evolving rapidly so even if something is current and the latest and greatest it wont be for too long.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
That difference is only when on the road. I am on Wi Fi at home, friends houses, and work....all of which destroy 4G as far as speed goes. No....my phone after the Droid 3 will be 4G though and dual core or better....and will most likely be the Droid 4 or something.

I get a new phone every year....because I have 2 lines....mine and my wife's...and they are available a year a part.....so year one I use mine....next year hers...and so on. She is always happy getting my previous one as well so it works out. She has a Droid 2 coming in just a few months if this dang 3 would drop.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
From what I have read on the net for the past few months, Honeycomb just barley works on the tablet. I would not want it on my phone. Then there are many articles about how developers are starting to get frustrated with all the Android devices and operating systems and moving their efforts elsewhere. Google even is starting to catch on to the "fragmentation" and limiting it a tad so far.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
That difference is only when on the road. I am on Wi Fi at home, friends houses, and work....all of which destroy 4G as far as speed goes. No....my phone after the Droid 3 will be 4G though and dual core or better....and will most likely be the Droid 4 or something.

I get a new phone every year....because I have 2 lines....mine and my wife's...and they are available a year a part.....so year one I use mine....next year hers...and so on. She is always happy getting my previous one as well so it works out. She has a Droid 2 coming in just a few months if this dang 3 would drop.

Ah the benefits of havin two lines with staggered contract renewal dates.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
From what I have read on the net for the past few months, Honeycomb just barley works on the tablet. I would not want it on my phone. Then there are many articles about how developers are starting to get frustrated with all the Android devices and operating systems and moving their efforts elsewhere. Google even is starting to catch on to the "fragmentation" and limiting it a tad so far.

From what I have read honeycomb is particularly geared toward tablets. Im pretty sure I read that for phones the next software version will be a combination of gingerbread and honeycomb. Ice cream is what I read it might possibly be called. Hopefully developers will stick with android. Im sure some will be inclined to move away from the android platform but seeing how so many wireless companies have android devices and how many people are now moving into the smartphone arena im sure more than a few will stick with android. Guess we will have to wait and see how it goes. I've read about the fragmentation issues and such. I guess its a fine line between fragmentation and being open sourced. Hopefully a decent middle ground will be established in the near future

silverfang77

Reaction score
Just the way it goes man. And you might as well cross the D3 off your list. From EVERYTHING I read it is NOT 4g.....and I for one don't care. The dual core alone has me switching the moment it drops.....not to mention 5 row keyboard with dedicated numbers, more RAM, better cam, 4 inch screen, and so on.

and you would be surprised how many buy computers like that. Think of how many poor souls out there only have some lame home version of Windows 7....seriously? Do you know what all you are missing without having Ultimate? Ultimate blows home out of the water in a heartbeat....even home premium.

Anyway.....that's just how it goes....phones come out all the time and OS updates are on like a 6 month average or something.

I hear you on the D3. That thing looks sweet, 4G or no 4G. Will it come out with Gingerbread on it?

What's so great about Win 7 Ultimate compared to Home Premium?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Lol...comparing different variations of windows 7 is not the same as comparing android 2.0, 2.1 etc.

Think of android 1.6 as windows 95...2.0 as win 98, 2.1 as XP, and 2.2 as windows server 2003...then you can make better comparisons....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I for one will not buy a new phone unless it has the latest OS version.

Your choices will be few....very few.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
That difference is only when on the road. I am on Wi Fi at home, friends houses, and work....all of which destroy 4G as far as speed goes.

You must have some blazing ISP's. Everywhere I go, including my house is 3-8mbps, whereas I see people hitting 20mbps on 4g, what do you and your friends/work have, 50mbps?

Sent from the hand of zeus!

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Im just curious as to why so many of these new phones aren't coming out aren't coming with the newest technology available right out of the box. Gingerbread, 4g lte (Verizon customer here) etc. Yes I know I can always root my phone but I don't think I should have to. I for one will not buy a new phone unless it has the latest OS version. I mean c'mon the thunderbolt comes compatible with 4g lte but it operates on froyo. Just makes no sense to me. Especially with the way official software updates are pushed out these days. Still waiting on GB for my d2. I mean really how many people would buy a new pc that doesnt come with the latest software pre-installed? Anyway here's hoping that the d3 comes with 4g compatibility, GB (or whatever the current OS version is at the time), front facing camera, dual/quad core processor amongst other things. If not I guess I will keep my d2 and root it.

Seems like more of a general android discussion the droid 2 discussion, none the less, the short answer is research and development. It takes time for the manufactures to get there custom ui integrated in to android and update the drivers and such for new hardware. You have to think these phones start getting made 6 months to a year before they hit the market. If an Android update hits during that time they have already started development for 2.2, for example, 2.3 would require them starting over to an extent. It is more efficient to keep going with 2.2 and plan to update to 2.3 later which would not be to hard as then they are porting the code already written rather then written from scratch.

Another factor is cost, 4G radios are newer tech and therefore more expensive to the manufacturer. This cost gets passed on to the customer and of course it required some R&D on the manufacturer side to. Same goes not only for 4G radios, but 8 megapixel cameras as well. As the technology becomes more common it becomes cheaper and therefore more common.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score

Seems like more of a general android discussion the droid 2 discussion, none the less, the short answer is research and development. It takes time for the manufactures to get there custom ui integrated in to android and update the drivers and such for new hardware. You have to think these phones start getting made 6 months to a year before they hit the market. If an Android update hits during that time they have already started development for 2.2, for example, 2.3 would require them starting over to an extent. It is more efficient to keep going with 2.2 and plan to update to 2.3 later which would not be to hard as then they are porting the code already written rather then written from scratch.

Another factor is cost, 4G radios are newer tech and therefore more expensive to the manufacturer. This cost gets passed on to the customer and of course it required some R&D on the manufacturer side to. Same goes not only for 4G radios, but 8 megapixel cameras as well. As the technology becomes more common it becomes cheaper and therefore more common.

Makes sense. Didn't think about it from those aspects.