Where has the 10 inch Android 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by bblythe, Sep 11, 2010.

1. bblythe

bblythe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy an Android 2.2 to my brother,But i only find a 7 inch one at here.

Where has the 10 inch Android 2.2?

#1 bblythe, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  2. samsonite801

samsonite801 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought this Chinese 10.2 inch Tablet PC from an eBay auction about 10 days ago: Click Here

This is the supposed 'better' one that has 256MB RAM, and came with 4GB storage, and 1.2gHz processor.

It still has not come in yet as I checked tracking and it is still in US Customs right now. I should be getting it in around a week now at this point.

The only thing that concerns me with this unit is that it probably comes with the 'resistive' style touch screen (kind that typically uses a stylus to write with), whereas the really good ones are the ones with the 'capacitive' style touch screens (kind you easily use your finger and don't have to push hard, only light contact).

I have converted a Lilliput 7" monitor with resistive style to capacitive touch panel before (for a forklift PC doing inventory control). I'm getting ready to do another one for a car GPS, PC, stereo system really soon. I already ordered the 3M resistive touch panel kit for it. It looks like this: Click Here

The monitor that this kit goes into looks like this: Click Here

By the time I'm finished with the car monitor install, it looks like this tutorial shows: http://www.bybyte.com/images/ABS626-701-Instructions.pdf

So the point is, I do know HOW to convert to capacitive style touch panels, but with this Android tablet, I could theoretically replace the resistive panel for the capacitive panel, but I wouldn't have room for the USB controller for the new touch panel (due to the extreme compact form factor of this tablet). So this wall, may be what stops me from being able to upgrade this tablet to a resistive touch panel.

Then the other issue arrives that this Android tablet only runs version 2.1 on it now. I think I read somewhere that they might have 2.2 released by December though. But I was thinking (wondering) if I could build my own 2.2 or at least port some working version of 2.2 with similar hardware over to run on this platform on my own. I don't even know if I have the ability to do this or not, but I have had some limited experience porting OS's to other hardwares before, but I've never done it with Android before (so there would be some learning curve involved).

So basically, these are the 2 issues I've pondered thus far is the touch panel type, and the OS version being 2.1 and not 2.2 but I at least figured I'd get one since it was a cheap price and I could at least play with it a little, and if I can't get it how I want it to be, I could always just sell it to get back some of what it cost. So other than those issues, this 'aPad' is supposed to be an iPad clone, but I just don't think they could clone the Apple iPad's capacitive screen based how how cheap this unit costs.

3. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +260
    Be sure to check out our sister site @ Android Tablet Forum for all Android Tablet discussions!

4. FranklinWalker

Ratings:
    +0
    why not try Amazon?

5. jonnybgewd

jonnybgewd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ARCHOS

Im stuck between, this or waiting for the HTC Tablet coming out with 3.0 in quarter1 2011.

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I know very few Archos owners who are happy campers (I own the 605, which has held up OK). Two issues: on their media players, owners often complain about being charged for plugins and accessories (e.g., video codecs, chargers, etc.). Second, support for a product only lasts until the next product cycle, after which firmware updates typically stop. I've seen lots and lots of promises (e.g., 720p output) for a device in the initial promos that never gets offered in a firmware update.

Oh, and it looks like service is a major issue. Just browse around Amazon for the 5" and 7" media players, and you'll see that many customers feel burned.

As for Archos tablets, three common themes are: (1) sporadic WiFi connection, (2) slow browsing experience, and (3) frustrating resistive touchscreens. I'd suggest waiting a bit, and going with Asus or another major PC builder.

-Matt

7. bblythe

bblythe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A VIP price?It sounds nice.But it hust Android 2.1.I need an 2.2 one.:icon_evil:

#7 bblythe, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  8. goweoie

goweoie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why not have a try to buy the 10 inch 2.1 one?

9. bblythe

bblythe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe i should have a think of the 2.1.

10. goweoie

goweoie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think so.

11. bblythe

bblythe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But i have been used to the 10 inch products.:icon_evil:

12. xkape

xkape Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I copyrighted the ..10" ...product line. So far my wife loves it. She uses it all the time and loves it. She wishes it had FROYO 2.2 installed but is eagerly awaiting the update. Once the update comes she feels there will be new ways she can use the 10" product I created.