When will Android 2.3 (gingerbread) come out on the druid 2 global?

OP
M

maxwellag

Reaction score
how can orders be taken? I looked on the site and they don't have it yet. My stepmom has a droid x and she doesn't know how to use it that well. Just a week ago I showed her how to update to gingerbread. It took like 5 hrs to download and install but it could also be because she doesn't have very good coverage where she and my dad live and they didn't have wife at the time. Im pretty sure it will look the same on the d2g as it is on the dx. I love the new look. I think it was supposed to be more for battery saving on amoleds tho. But gingerbread has a lot of little improvements like app sorting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
You can call in if you couldn't wait for it to be available online.
But now you can order it online.

OP
M

maxwellag

Reaction score
Yeah now I saw it.

ExodusC

Reaction score
ExodusC, can you be sure that it's slow because of EV-DO's design or because the network is overloaded? If you live in a densely populated area, this might as well be the problem.

GSM carriers generally have more base stations deployed due to GSM's shorter effective radius, so there are more free spots on the network.

The review by Droid-Life is pretty horrifying, and myself, I need smooth scrolling and such on my phone — I use it for SSH access to my servers, for email, irc, and much more. So it looks like I'll have to either wait until Motorola gets over cheap pentile stuff, or some other manufacturer learns to make proper QWERTY sliders.

I'd love to get a Galaxy S2 with Droid 3's hardware keyboard.

Gasai Yuno, I'm not sure, but I can't really recall going above (or even hitting) 300KB/s on Verizon's EVDO network. I regularly average a steady 150-200KB/s in most areas. I do recall hitting much higher speeds on AT&T's network in areas where I had service.

I just figured the LTE network would provide faster and more reliable speeds.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Sure, basic LTE should provide 100Mbps down and about 50Mbps up (roughly 10Mbytes/sec and 5Mbytes/sec). But that's if the carrier's network is not overloaded.

I'd say 150-200K/sec is a rather nice speed for 3G. D2G's HSPA radio is capable of 10Mbps downstream and something like 5Mbps up, but HSPA is considered "3.5G".

On the other hand, I don't really know any tasks that would really require even 200K/sec besides, you know, video streaming. But why would you stream video over 3G? I don't understand because for me, D2G is a communications device, not a video player.

OP
M

maxwellag

Reaction score
I have decided that its not worth getting 4g for me until I actually have it in my area... right now I don't have it. I kind of want it for the future, but I don't need it. 3g is fast enough for me.

ExodusC

Reaction score
Sure, basic LTE should provide 100Mbps down and about 50Mbps up (roughly 10Mbytes/sec and 5Mbytes/sec). But that's if the carrier's network is not overloaded.

I'd say 150-200K/sec is a rather nice speed for 3G. D2G's HSPA radio is capable of 10Mbps downstream and something like 5Mbps up, but HSPA is considered "3.5G".

On the other hand, I don't really know any tasks that would really require even 200K/sec besides, you know, video streaming. But why would you stream video over 3G? I don't understand because for me, D2G is a communications device, not a video player.

Sometimes I do like to stream YouTube videos in high quality on the go- it's almost impossible sometimes.

I was in downtown Atlanta, Georgia at one point, and I remember only pulling 75KB/s down.

I should note those speeds I gave were just via the Speed Test app, not necessarily in practice speeds.

OP
M

maxwellag

Reaction score
Kind of off topic here, aren't we?

OP
M

maxwellag

Reaction score
Ok. So the droid 3 just came out, so the update should come soon after, I hope.

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
hopefully since some people already have the D3, they will launch the OTA for the D2G; I would like to hope that they've unlocked the bootloader, so CM can get a nice stable rom for us ( i havent read if they did or not )

lieblax

Reaction score
hopefully since some people already have the D3, they will launch the OTA for the D2G; I would like to hope that they've unlocked the bootloader, so CM can get a nice stable rom for us ( i havent read if they did or not )

I don't see the unlocked bootloader happening for this update. I imagine it will be later in the year. But who knows

IAMKILLERMAN

Reaction score
I have the droid 2 global and I hate it. I look forward to gingerbread. Hey I also had to replace the phone about 6 months after I bought it because the droid 2 global is known to have many problems with it

Byakushiki

Reaction score
What problem caused you to replace it? The only time I got a replacement (during the 14 day worry free time) was due to an led being broken. Otherwise, my phone hasn't acted up since, unless on stock blur.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.