When will Android 2.3 (gingerbread) come out on the druid 2 global?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by maxwellag, Jul 3, 2011.

1. maxwellag

maxwellag New Member

I was wondering when it comes out. I thought it was supposed to come out earlier but was delayed. I saw that my friend has it on her droid x.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  2. Byakushiki

Byakushiki New Member

Middle of july probably. It's supposed to come out right after the d3 so around the same time of year when the D1 got 2.2.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world... on a milestone 2. I'm on a milestone 2 atm as opposed to my usual D2G...sim lock ftl. Least I get a stable gsm signal now.
  3. maxwellag

maxwellag New Member

Ok, thanks. Its kinda depressing that I just got my d2g about a month ago and now the d3 is about to come out. Wish I had known that... :( oh well... I can't wait for gingerbread to come out on my phone!! :) I had a problem with my simcard where I messed around in the settings and accidentally locked my sim card with a random code that I didn't know. As long as I had the card in I couldn't even unlock the phone. So I took it out, turned the phone on, and did a factory data reset on it. Then I turned it off, put the sim card back in, and turned it on and activated my phone. Then it was all good.

4. arkboy4ever

arkboy4ever New Member

Ya dude I got a DROID x and 15 days later with no warning the x2 comes out. I was very frustrated

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

It doesn't matter that DX2 is out and Droid 3 is going to be out soon.

Have you even seen the photos of those qHD displays?..

If you didn't, and you want a D3/DX2/Milestone 3, head over to Droid-Life and check their review of these “pentile” display.

That display is the only show stopper and deal breaker for me when it comes to Droid 3/Milestone 3. Motorola is the only manufacturer of proper QWERTY sliders and now they give me this screen?.. I don't care about 512M RAM and such, it's fine really, but that display?!
  6. Chaos2092

Chaos2092 New Member

After reading that I'll actually tell people to look elsewhere for a new phone if they plan on getting one. I was originally slightly miffed I just got my D2G a couple of weeks ago on the eve of the release of the D3, but now if it's going to have that display... I'll definitely be alright with keeping this bad boy.
  7. MrHatchi87

MrHatchi87 New Member

and from what ive read around as well, its not even gonna be LTE capable... LAME!
  8. Byakushiki

Byakushiki New Member

Agreed. Pentile=garbage. Nexus S's screen was so beautiful...played around with it and an X2. Def would take amoled over qhd pentile...

Sent from my DROID2(Global!) using DroidForums
  9. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

MrHatchi87, excuse my question, but… it's a fact known ever since the announcement, why are you pointing it out yet again? (This is a general theme of your posts though; 90% of them are of “stating the obvious” or “baseless statements” class, and usually contain one line of text.)

Did you not do your research properly beforehand and this came as a shock?..

And honestly, do you really need LTE that much? Is it present in your area? The only area it is available at in Utah is Salt Lake City, right?
  10. ExodusC

ExodusC New Member

Having LTE would be nice, but it seems like thus far on most phones it kills battery. I guess over time we'll get radios built on more efficient processes.

It's not a killer for me, but sometimes Verizon's 3G can be slow in many areas where I live- at least comparatively slow to AT&T's 3G.

Now, those Pentile displays don't look too good in the pictures I've seen. I've never seen one in person, so I can't comment. I would of course prefer high-res AMOLEDs. The only thing I hate about them are the burn-in issues (I had it on my Nexus One pretty bad).

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.
  11. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

ExodusC, can you be sure that it's slow because of EV-DO's design or because the network is overloaded? If you live in a densely populated area, this might as well be the problem.

GSM carriers generally have more base stations deployed due to GSM's shorter effective radius, so there are more free spots on the network.

The review by Droid-Life is pretty horrifying, and myself, I need smooth scrolling and such on my phone — I use it for SSH access to my servers, for email, irc, and much more. So it looks like I'll have to either wait until Motorola gets over cheap pentile stuff, or some other manufacturer learns to make proper QWERTY sliders.

I'd love to get a Galaxy S2 with Droid 3's hardware keyboard.
  12. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt New Member

I would love to see the SG2 get announced for Verizon :) then we can talk keyboards haha
  13. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

Well, I'm not on Verizon so...

(Japan has only one GSM carrier, all others are CDMA but it's incompatible with US phones.)
  14. MrHatchi87

MrHatchi87 New Member

Why does it matter what I point out? if you don't like it, DON'T READ IT. Simple. Just skip over my comments and your problem is solved; and to answer your question, I do live in SLC. It's not a shock that it doesn't have LTE, I'm just expressing my dislike towards it; its my opinion. take it as that. Also, do I have to write a novel to appease you? I don't really care.

That's my rant for the day. :)
  15. The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow New Member

Well since orders for the droid 3 can now be taken our update should be close.
    Any day now...

Hopefully lol

16. maxwellag

maxwellag New Member

how can orders be taken? I looked on the site and they don't have it yet. My stepmom has a droid x and she doesn't know how to use it that well. Just a week ago I showed her how to update to gingerbread. It took like 5 hrs to download and install but it could also be because she doesn't have very good coverage where she and my dad live and they didn't have wife at the time. Im pretty sure it will look the same on the d2g as it is on the dx. I love the new look. I think it was supposed to be more for battery saving on amoleds tho. But gingerbread has a lot of little improvements like app sorting.

17. The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow New Member

You can call in if you couldn't wait for it to be available online.
    But now you can order it online.

18. maxwellag

maxwellag New Member

Yeah now I saw it.

19. ExodusC

ExodusC New Member

Gasai Yuno, I'm not sure, but I can't really recall going above (or even hitting) 300KB/s on Verizon's EVDO network. I regularly average a steady 150-200KB/s in most areas. I do recall hitting much higher speeds on AT&T's network in areas where I had service.

I just figured the LTE network would provide faster and more reliable speeds.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.
  20. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

Sure, basic LTE should provide 100Mbps down and about 50Mbps up (roughly 10Mbytes/sec and 5Mbytes/sec). But that's if the carrier's network is not overloaded.

I'd say 150-200K/sec is a rather nice speed for 3G. D2G's HSPA radio is capable of 10Mbps downstream and something like 5Mbps up, but HSPA is considered "3.5G".

On the other hand, I don't really know any tasks that would really require even 200K/sec besides, you know, video streaming. But why would you stream video over 3G? I don't understand because for me, D2G is a communications device, not a video player.
Search tags for this page
what does the droid 2 global dev tools bad behaviior do?

when did android 2.3 come out

when did android gingerbread come out
when did gingerbread 2.3 come out

when did gingerbread come out