What's so great/ Not so great about ICS

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread to see what members like and dislike about ICS now that we were able to see a leaked OTA version of it...

so far for me...

Likes;
-lockscreen is cool, however I have the Sense 3 style Ring lockscreen via Agile Lock...so really nothing new for me...
-4g does seem slightly more stable than .902/.905...however .901 with Eclipse 3.0 was rock solid...so again nothing special as yet for that...
-??? nothing else that I can think of except that it may be using more of the processor potential??

Dislikes;
-Hate the uglyassss menus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the only menu that looks half decent is the home app menu, but it's so convoluted and unorganized that I almost puked (okay not really puked since the icons looked so-so..lmao)
-most app menus no longer make sense and now have a ridiculous amount of useless options...
-dialer has no contacts option really, but that can be overlooked since when you select search in the menu it pulls up the people apk....and wth is with 'both' dialer and people apps having favorites??....
-Contacts is noe people and it adds a useless option called 'group'??...but they couldn't add a full contact list on the dialer apk??

I am sure I'll find more of both...probably more dislikes than likes as it seems so far...

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Come on guys...I'm looking for some positives that others may have that I've not come acroos as of yet...
If you know of some superb positives , please let me know...

ofiba

Reaction score
PROS off the top of my head
more stable data/less drops (which is most people's beef with the bionic)
ability to toggle widgets in notification bar
1.2 ghz
scrollable widgets
disable bloat
long press home button for better multitasking

Last edited:

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i find i like the keyboard a lot. smoother faster. and i make less errors (i also like that i can set it up to be "very aggressive" lol
i love the data connection.
i like the lock screen wish we could tweak it.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Good feedback...disable system apps is a good plus, not sure what you mean about toggling widgets from noti bar..... keyboard was always good before this for me so ....

but I kinda do like the voice to text which scrolls the text and then also gives you possible other suggestions if the text is off by a couple words...
I also have noticed the double-tap to zoom on the browser is far more responsive....
And so far I have noticed a slight level above in overall performance.....

But I still hate the ugly list menus...they should give the abi;lity to change their appearnce to GB style or something...
and I still need to get used to having the contacts seperate from the dialer....that's a miss...

Hey any other positives would be welcome to help me like ICS more...at this point it is growing on me a slight bit... but I also can't believe that nobody else has any dislikes about it??...come on now...

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the orange trace line and theme they have for swype! And I'm sure a great themer like yourself mbk could fix that or has some tricks. Lol

I was almost ready to go back to gb the second day i had ics but it grew on me and I'll stick with it for a while.

sunny757

Reaction score
My favorite parts of ics hands down is the smart actions. It allows the phone to somewhat become your personal assistant. Smart actions allows you to program profiles into your phone based on triggers.

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
Likes : it just works. Faster, longer battery life, finally dual core that works, true hardware acceleration, a progressive GUI, everything. Did I mention that it works? No BSOD's, rock solid 4G, no random rebooting, no need to do battery pulls. No headphone whining, no screen pixellation, i can see it in direct sunlight, it has a removable battery. Oh, and did I mention that it just works.

Dislikes: compared to what we had before this, none.

Some people will never be happy no matter what. No one can wave a magic wand and fix every perceived problem all at once. This is the biggest step forward since we all bought this product. I like the phone, I am impressed with this leak, and now that this leak is on this phone, I believe this to be the best thing out there.

Just my opinion, but just like the phone, they are mine.

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Pros: no signal loss bluetooth connects faster (but still can't seem to remember pins??) f ace unlock is slightly neat Cons: Did they switch the "canel" and "default" buttons? The bluetooth hard locks my phone requiring a battery pull. Happens with subsonic and the native android player. The camera stops working after you use a flashlight app

MontegoRX

Reaction score
I just updated to 229 and I'm not very impressed so far. I came from Eclipse 3.0, and so far I like Eclipse better. Maybe I just need to tweak ICS a bit so that it feels more familiar, but I'm currently without Swype, my GPS doesn't seem to work (haven't played with it much though), and it feels like I took a few steps backwards rather than forward. I'll leave it on for a while to see what i think, but I'm glad I backed up my data in case I decide to go back to a rooted 905 install with E3.0.

tyseft163

Reaction score
I'm on.2233, only Con 3 days in; g talk doesn't seem to recognize my front shooter, can't answer hangouts in G+, but can initiate.
I have no camera issues that I've noticed,
Battery doesn't seem great, but I've been almost nonstop screwing with the phone since i flashed the leak.

I can say, as a first week Nexus buyer in December '11, this OS is where that version should have been. Because it wasn't, i returned it for my BIONIC.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just updated to 229 and I'm not very impressed so far. I came from Eclipse 3.0, and so far I like Eclipse better. Maybe I just need to tweak ICS a bit so that it feels more familiar, but I'm currently without Swype, my GPS doesn't seem to work (haven't played with it much though), and it feels like I took a few steps backwards rather than forward. I'll leave it on for a while to see what i think, but I'm glad I backed up my data in case I decide to go back to a rooted 905 install with E3.0.

That's kinda the mixed feelings I've had with this ICS leak, my .901 with Eclipse 3.0 was rock solid so perhaps that's part of why I felt underwhelmed when I loaded ICS......But if anyone was having all types of issues with data connections and the like, I'm sure ICS does feel like a step forward. Now that I've had it for a while, it does seem decent performance-wise, so I'm going to continue the testdrive and see if it can imp[ress me in the longrun...

Also, I softbricked it when I was trying to alter some of the system files, but the good news was that the .902 FXZ worked like a charm.....kinda crappy to have to load ICS all over again because I hadn't made a nandroid as of that time, but I will do that in stock this time around before I do any further tinkering...:blink::p

ofiba

Reaction score
Good feedback...disable system apps is a good plus, not sure what you mean about toggling widgets from noti bar..... keyboard was always good before this for me so ....

I use Widgetsoid to put a widget in my notification bar so I can pull it down while I am in an app and turn on/off wifi or adjust screen brightness etc. without leaving the app. In GB, I had to have it pop up a separate window to do the toggle. In ICS it can just be pressed right in the notification. I'm pretty sure this functionality was possible in custom roms, but not in stock GB.

bhp117

Reaction score
i really dont see a point to this thread when you are comparing a stable gb to still in development ics leak
it's like eclipse 2.2/3.0 vs isc builds

when ics is officially a ota like 893,902,905 then lets talk

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i really dont see a point to this thread when you are comparing a stable gb to still in development ics leak
it's like eclipse 2.2/3.0 vs isc builds

when ics is officially a ota like 893,902,905 then lets talk

So you're saying that since this is a leaked version then we shouldn't mention what's good or bad about it?? What about those that are debating about trying this leak out or not?..don't they deserve to hear what members feel they like or dislike about it??...

You are missing the point of what forums are my friend...it's to discuss things. And if you don't like a particular thread, don't reply or read them...simple solution.
This leak is likely very, very close to an official OTA, otherwise I doubt it would load thru stock recovery with strict restrictions