Things I hate about ICS (so far...)

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So yeah, kvetching. In no particular order:

- It uninstalled Dolphin, Flash (& what else?) I'm still making sure all my apps are still intact.

- It's messing up Lightflow - even after I look at an sms, the led and sound keep repeating until I manually force close the text app.

- Blue battery icon. Why not green? Because change for change's sake.

- Crappy system fonts. A bunch of my desktop app icons now have cut off text.

- Crappy "recent apps" (home double press). Couldn't they have put in the option of keeping the simple icons?

- No contacts in dialer. Yeah, because that was so useless and bloated.

- No more USB "charge only" mode. Oversight? A fix coming in the next OTA?

- Reset screen blank to 1 min. I was reading a long .pdf and suddenly the screen went blank. I tracked it down to the screen blank timeout being reset to 1 minute from my usual 10 minutes. I'll decide when I need to turn my screen off, thank you very much. But it makes me wonder what other user preference settings have been messed with...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It didn't uninstall Dolphin on mine. The only app that was uninstalled (beyond changes in the stock/bloat) was Flash, but I figure they did that because it's not officially supported. Sure I would have preferred that they leave it alone, but I understand why they might want to remove. I just downloaded it again from the Play store.

I don't use Lightflow, so I can't comment on that. Perhaps Lightflow just hasn't been fully updated to work well with ICS.

Blue is the main color in ICS. That's why the battery icon has been changed. Motorola kept this update closer to stock ICS than any other manufacturer that skins their devices.

I like the system fonts. I don't think it's the font that is at fault for cutting off the label of some apps that have a longer name, but rather the implementation of the homescreens in the skin.

I like the recent apps change. But of course, like a few of things you mentioned, that's just personal preference.

As for the contacts in the dialer, just hit the search button. That will bring up your contacts (and it doesn't require any more work than hitting a contacts tab or button in the dialer would). Also, if you launch the contacts app first, there's a button for the dialer there. So, it can be done either way.

I'm not sure why they removed charge only mode, but it still charges via usb with the available options. No harm, no foul in my book. But I guess I could see why some people may not want access to the phone's storage to be available while charging with a computer if someone else will use the computer while they're not around.

It didn't change my screen timeout. It remained where I had it before the update. I haven't noticed any significant user settings being changed beyond the things that are required changes with ICS.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You can re-install Dolphin and Flash, Flash is no longer supported in Android OS so that is why it was uninstalled (guessing the same for Dolphin?).

As far as Lightflow goes, you have to give the developers time to work with the new OS and release an updated version of their software. Users of Windows Vista will remember this well.

Blue battery icon, because people didn't like green and wanted something different. Can't please everyone I guess :biggrin:

Not sure what to tell you about the fonts or crappy recent apps, I actually like the recent app list.

No contacts in dialer I would have to agree I miss this as well but adjustments are easily made.

Not sure why they took out the charge only mode, but it happened not much to be done about that.

Default screen timeout is 1 minute, but like you said you can change it. We all new before ICS came out and people wouldn't stop posting thread after thread of when they were going to get it there would be a flood of posts of people who hate it. If I am being honest I was happier with GB than ICS, the improvements to me don't seem that great.

Still we have to move with the times, and I am sure they will be working on some of these issues people are having that are fixable and will be addressed in a coming OS update. I am not sure if you wanted someone to respond to this thread or if you just wanted to vent. So I do feel your pain on some of the issues, other one we just have to let go and let Android :p

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I am not sure if you wanted someone to respond to this thread or if you just wanted to vent.

I was just venting and looking for a bit of commiseration. I guess I'm feeling shocked at the sheer number of changes I'm finding within my first 24 hours that seem to be more preference shifts than true improvements. I'd always liked Android for its ability to be customized, but this time around it seems that a lot of the user interface features I've come to appreciate and rely on are simply changed, not improved, and with no option of keeping the old ones. I've experienced every OTA that's come along since getting my D1, and this is the first one so far that I wish I could have avoided.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah they definitely moved things around a bit as far as settings and stuff goes. I am still using Go Launcher and Go SMS so I bypass all their stock stuff, honestly it don't tell much difference besides new menus here and there.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some (possibly older folks, I being one) resist change. I don't like it but have come to accept it as a reality. Change AND having choices taken away are two(2) things that will make one Older if allowed to do so. So, without becoming "creepy" I try and stay young (at least at heart) Try (I said) not always easy.
I play with phone, bark like a Dog and try and learn a new trick. Sometimes that helps stay young.
Nap time :biggrin:

maxx1976

Reaction score
I also dislike how the keyboard takes up all the space. I can barely see what im typing sometimes. I also noticed that on some sites, once i start to reply to a thread everything else on the page goes white, but only when i hold the phone sideways. If i turn it earpiece up then everything reappears. I agree the not having charge only kinda sucks cause i usually keep my phone connected to my work computer which is connected to a network so others could potentially look through my phone. Performancewise though, i havent had any network drops like i had before. My netflix seems to be clearer than it was :/ not sure why yours got worse hmmm(sorry i dont use quote reply alot, but i think u know who im talkin to ;) )

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You can re-install Dolphin and Flash, Flash is no longer supported in Android OS so that is why it was uninstalled (guessing the same for Dolphin?).

FYI....Flash is 100% supported in ICS. It is NOT supported in JB.

ICS = 4.0.x
JB = 4.1.x.

From the play store...
*** NOTE: FLASH PLAYER IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED FOR NEW DEVICECONFIGURATIONS. FLASH PLAYER WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED ON ANY ANDROID VERSION BEYOND ANDROID 4.0.x ***

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Three more things since yesterday:

- Data (3G/4G) connection less reliable versus interference than before. I work in the center of a LARGE steel building, and my data connection always used to be spotty, but at least achievable most of the time at my desk. After the OTA, I can maybe get a data connection for a total of 30 seconds out of the day.

- "Haptic Feedback" was renamed to "Vibrate on Keypress". More of a minor nitpick, really; I guess there are too many people who don't know what haptic feedback means.

- Popup Accept/Cancel windows for menu functions have the Cancel on the left and the Accept/Ok on the right. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another gui interface that puts the cancel on the left. I keep hitting the wrong one. Has Android always had it on the left and I just didn't notice until now? I'll check my D1 tonight if I remember.

Last edited:

memedic95

Reaction score
Three more things since yesterday:

- Data (3G/4G) connection less reliable versus interference than before. I work in the center of a LARGE steel building, and my data connection always used to be spotty, but at least achievable most of the time at my desk. After the OTA, I can maybe get a data connection for a total of 30 seconds out of the day.

- "Haptic Feedback" was renamed to "Vibrate on Keypress". More of a minor nitpick, really; I guess there are too many people who don't know what haptic feedback means.

- Popup Accept/Cancel windows for menu functions have the Cancel on the left and the Accept/Ok on the right. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another gui interface that puts the cancel on the left. I keep hitting the wrong one. Has Android always had it on the left and I just didn't notice until now? I'll check my D1 tonight if I remember.

LOL....Yea, the guy that wrote the code for those popups must be dyslexic. They do seem to be backwards don't they?.

brucefulton

Reaction score

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Perhaps that page just hasn't been updated? In any case, certified or not, it works perfectly fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

It works on the ICS update for the RAZR, but not perfectly fine. Flash will play on some sites, but not on others.

jjneongreen

Reaction score
droid razr

my flash was uninstalled after the ICS update, no doubt the phone is faster but now i cant watch videos via links like i used to (putlocker, gorillavid, etc).......is there a workin flash player for the ICS...because the adoble flash 11.1 does not work even after you go into the market and reinstall it....HELP!