What's better the Stock Email Application or K-9 Mail?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't do much customization with my email.

I've been using Pure Messenger widget and it rocks - gmail, email/exchange, sms, calls and even twitter and facebook if you choose all in 1 scrollable widget. Combine that with google voice emailing your visual voicemail to you google account and it's very powerful with everything in one place. To me this is the only way to go - one notification turning off notifications on all those other programs or no notifications all together and just periodically check the widget (set to show only unread!). Why Google has not incorporated a similar universal inbox widget is beyond me.

Unfortunately, ICS has really cranked-up security so this widget is currently unable to show gmail and exchange. The developer has had work-around hacks in the past (requires root) and I imagine it's just a matter of time before he updates. For that matter, I find the stock email widget isn't updating very well with my exchange.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use the stock email program?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Schimm

Reaction score
I know the stock email app has a neat widget but is it a decent email program?

You'll find the stock widget doesn't update reliably....at least not in my experience with three email addresses feeding it. Pure Messenger widget does update reliably but I'm not using it now because I'm not using the stock launcher. And Pure Messenger doesn't seem to like anything but the stock laucher on ICS. I use Nova launcher instead to get rid of the annoying google bars. If you are using the stock launcher I'd recommend K-9 in combination with the Pure Messenger widget. In fact k-9 has a version on the market specifically designed to work with the Pure Messenger widget. You are limited to three email accounts. It's kinda dumb that an independent developer can design a reliable widget but the Android OS programmers can't.

Last edited:
OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting - Guess I'll stay with K-9 since I have 6+ accounts.

I was thinking of using the widget but it's not a big deal.

The only thing that bugs me is K-9 used to show how many messages at the top of the screen now it just shows a folder on ICS.